Tags:
  1. Reilley Turner

Reilley Turner Active Member

Do you have any signed/autographed books?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Reilley Turner, Sep 2, 2015.

I have one called "Dead Man's Hand" by Luke Murphy. He came to my mother's school and signed it for me in person.

[​IMG]
    "Dear Reilley,
    Keep working hard!
    Good things will happen.
    Luke Murphy"

Do you have any stories like this, or any signed/autographed books in general?

and

If you could have any author sign any one of his/her books, who and which one would it be?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I ordered a book from amazon called Futureproof by N Frank Daniels. It's been hailed as a self-publishing phenomenon. It's okay, nothing outstanding, but it's signed 'For Fred - fellow prose stylist. Keep the faith. Talk soon. NFD'

3. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

The only autographed book I've ever owned was cremated in a bomb blast. It was a copy of Clive Barker's 'The Hellbound Heart' complete with a biro doodle of his character Pinhead. I lost a stack of resource books and personal possessions, but the most missed was that and my tattoo lining gun Maeve.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I have a signed copy of Octavia Butler's Dawn, first of the Xenogenesis trilogy (also known as Lilith's Brood when in omnibus form).

[​IMG]

I may or may not still have a signed paperback copy of Alan Dean Foster's Flinx in Flux somewhere in a box. That one was a gift by a well-meaning gift giver who didn't know the difference between Science Fiction and Fantasy. :)

5. Reilley Turner

Signed books are always a treasure. ;)

:/ That's too bad. Better then losing your life, yes, but if I had lost that, I would have felt like I lost a piece of my soul. But I tend to overfeel(?) in situations like those so take it with a grain of salt I guess. But that must have been devastating, losing a signed book.

Nice! I should really add a picture of my book where it was signed. :p Either way, nice. "Two is better then one" they say, and it really works in this situation. :)

6. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

'Fred' clearly doesn't think so :D

7. farenheit451

farenheit451 New Member

I didn't receive these autographs in person by the author. I found all three of these books in thrift stores. My most recent acquisition by Parini was a book I didn't even notice had been signed until I got it home and started reading!

“John Steinbeck: A Biography”
    Jay Parini

“Death Comes to Pemberley”
    P.D. James

“The Great Train Robbery”
    Michael Crichton

I think children are getting their parents stacks when they pass on and they just take them to the thrifts to get rid of them, not really looking at what they're giving away. Just old books . . . .

8. Reilley Turner

I guess not :p

Yeah, it's a real shame. (Note to self: take the time to check for autographed books)

9. Bookster

Bookster Banned

I have a self-published book (title forgotten) about intention and causality that's signed by the author. Turned out not to be worth reading, but it also came with some great original crayon drawings by his young daughters, so I'm glad I bought it.

10. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributor Contributor

I have several Terry Pratchett books that he signed for me. We had a short conversation about hats at a local bookshop during a book signing event.

11. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Amy Goodman, Ben Goldacre, Neil deGrasse Tyson, and Jonathan Haidt signatures all grace books on my bookshelves. I can't recall if I have others. They're all from their book talks at the Seattle Town Hall.

And I have a CD signed by comedian Lewis Black.

And I have a book on magic signed by Harry Blackstone Jr.

12. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I wish. The ones I want cost way too much. I do have a first edition of The Catcher in the Rye, so that's something at least.

Lemex likes this.
  13. Patra Felino

Patra Felino Active Member

When Last Chance to See came out, I managed to get my hands on two signed copies of the hardback: one for me and one for a mate's birthday. One of them was signed normally, and one looked really shit because the pen had run out halfway through the signature and Douglas Adams had had to do it in two goes.

Well, honestly, would any of you have kept the shit one?

14. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

I met Jim Butcher and his wife (name escapes me, but she writes romance novels) at our local library. (They're both super cool, super nice people, by the way.) I got copies of Storm Front and Fool Moon signed.
    I was proud of myself for neither screaming, crying, nor wetting myself.

15. Reilley Turner

Nice! Not sure about the crayon drawings but if he gave them to you as well, nice as well!

I bet it was the best conversation you ever had, just because of the person you were talking to.

Nice! How many signed books in total? I mean, you have one signed cd but I'm talking about books. And speaking of signed cds, my mom has a signed "Canada is for kids" Cd from when I was younger. My dad got it signed for her but it's still her's so it kinda counts, right?

Nice! What year did the first edition come out?

Meh, I would have and given the good one to my mate, after I took a picture or something, but that's just the way I am. And just to be clear, I'm not calling you a bad person, just unique. :) (Sorry if this offends you, its not my intention at all.)

Nice, and since I'm a gamer as well, I have to say... WHOMBO COMBO! :p Anyway, that was a nice find! And, if I were you, I probably would have screamed and cried. At the same time. :p

Whew, I am beat. All this typing makes me tired, but I still want to write either way. :p Is there a problem here? XD (<--- is that emoticon acceptable here?)

16. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

I have one from a long time ago when an author came into one of my college classes as a guest lecturer. It was his debut novel and I didn't care for it. I'm more excited to have my autographed Willy Wonka DVD which I've only seen once and got for free.

17. Ben414

Ben414 Contributor Contributor

Not from any famous books or authors. I do have one from a family friend who wrote a book on his experience in Auschwitz and mailed me a copy with a handwritten message on the inside cover.

18. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

I have a signed Post Secret book from Frank Warren, but that's kinda meh.

19. Shbooblie

Shbooblie Senior Member

I've got a signed copy of 'Thorn in My Side' by Sheila Quigley. She was in Borders and kind of pressured me into buying a copy, I couldn't say no, I've never read it though

20. Reilley Turner

Added a new question to the OP. :)

21. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

To answer the retconned second question:
    I would love to have a book signed by Terry Pratchett, but, sadly, that's not going to happen.
    but, as far as living authors go, Seanan McGuire is an author I really admire, and I'd love to have one of her books signed. Jasper Fforde is another.

22. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

I have a photo book called Equus signed by Robert Vavra, an amazing photographer. His photos of horses have haunted me from a young age, so when my hubby found a signed copy of the book I only got to leaf in the library (it was so heavy I never borrowed it), I was over the moon. He's basically the world's first photographer of horses and to think he took pictures like this in the '70s is pretty impressive.

23. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

We have a few books signed by Poppy Z Brite.

24. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I have a book of essays on writing edited by Margaret Atwood, and she signed a copy for me. My former "girlfriend" (from back in the days when I was trying to convince myself I was straight - bad move!) worked for Atwood as an assistant/secretary for a couple of years, and she got it for me.

25. SpaceandFIlm

SpaceandFIlm Member

I was lucky enough to get a signed copy of Bo Burnhams poetry book, Egghead. I was going to buy it and use it as a coffee table book, but now that it's signed I'm unsure if I should. It's not a terrible dilemma.