1. xdannigirl

xdannigirl New Member

Procrastinating on my computer science project...entertain me?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by xdannigirl, Feb 14, 2013.

I don't understand the assignment, so naturally, I'm avoiding it. :)

Please talk to me. :(

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Nope. Give the assignment your best shot. Procrastination just makes you feel worse later.

3. xdannigirl

xdannigirl New Member

Ok fine if I promise to work AND talk, will you please talk to me? :D I just made a breakthrough on it, so after I get the next few lines of code in, it shouldn't take me too much longer.

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Procrastinate later. That always works for me.

5. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

You should check out the RPG section if you're interested in some serious procrastination :D We have hours and hours of fun there...

Anyway, what are you programming?

(Sorry if I'm being an enabler, Its just, I feel the same way sometimes :D)

6. xdannigirl

xdannigirl New Member

Java. I don't even know exactly what the program is supposed to do...all I know is they've mixed in some crazy coding magic here that I have to unravel before I can figure that out.

Curse you, Arts program, for actually forcing us to take a Science. Arts is definitely my thing, not Sciences...

7. thirdwind

How come you have to take a programming class for an arts program? I've never heard of that requirement before.

8. xdannigirl

xdannigirl New Member

My university is weird, and makes us all take an intro year first, except for select faculties. I plan to major in Psychology and Minor in English, but first I have to take this intro year. The requirements to get into the Faculty of Arts are that I have to take 6 credit hours (the equivalent of a full year course) in 5 different subject fields, from 3 different groups: Humanities, Social Sciences, and Sciences. I chose Psychology (duh), Philosophy (ugh), English (obviously), Statistics (gotta redo that one cuz I bombed the final...oops), and Computer Science.

Okay. I've now got a pretty good idea of what I need to do for this thing...now to actually execute it.

9. thirdwind

Come on, it's not that bad. I'll admit that my intro courses were mediocre, but my higher level classes were really good. A lot of it does depend on the professor and his/her knowledge and interest in the subject matter.

10. xdannigirl

xdannigirl New Member

I really hate philosophy. I can't wait until April, when the course is over.

11. thirdwind

What's the name of the philosophy course? And have you ever read any philosophy or taken a philosophy course before? There's a wide range of topics in philosophy, and I'm sure there's something that will interest you.

12. xdannigirl

xdannigirl New Member

It's just intro to philosophy. I thought we'd get to have some kind of class debates since it's a small class but my prof just lectures. :(

13. thirdwind

That sucks. Like I said, intro classes aren't that fun because a lot of it is just lecturing and the material is covered very quickly. I also found that the essay topics for intro classes were unimaginative.

Some of my classes had discussions, but they were either really good or really bad depending on the subject matter. For my ethics class, some of the discussions got very heated. Good times.

14. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

At least it's only for year. When I decided to return to education (I dropped out of high school) I took two years of classes across eight subjects to build up my qualifications. One of those was philosophy - and I think it is an excellent subject for writers to look into. It's a class that can help you learn to think objectively and to consider all the possible angles you can take with your characters.

15. xdannigirl

xdannigirl New Member

Ahaha, well...my prof redeemed himself a bit when he assigned a 3 page paper today...which would normally be horrible, but usually he only gives us 2 weeks and this time he gave us a month. :)

Sooo, this means I can spend this weekend celebrating a belated Valentine's Day with the boyfriend and going out with friends instead of frantically trying to write my paper...and seeing as next week is Reading Week, I can spend next week reading and writing! :)

But first...I must finish this horrible Computer Science assignment, because I only have 15 hours left!