1. barcelonic

barcelonic Member

Can somebody offer me a brief plot for a narrative poem?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by barcelonic, Sep 21, 2012.

I am a completely uninspired person. I cannot remember the last time I read any creative writing, but i'm a decent writer once I have something to write about.

I've recently developed an interest in poetry and of course it is no different. The creative process does not come easy to me, so I had hoped somebody could offer me a brief plot
    with which I can use to write a narrative poem, as a part of practicing, and testing my aptitude for it I guess.

Anyways, does anybody have a lightbulb on right now as I could sure use a few plot suggestions,

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

If you want to be a creative writer, you should read more creative writing. You should also be able to come up with your own ideas.

This thread may come in handy.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

3. barcelonic

barcelonic Member

thanks thirdwind.

I've always found it best to play to one's strengths and so I hold no ambition to be a creative writer, just a better one. I intend to write non-fiction, but right now I'm just taking the time to improve and become a better writer overall.
    I'd like to practice narrative poetry as i feel poetry will really work my vocabulary.

Thanks for the thread link - still if you can think of a topic that you feel is poetical it'd be much appreciated, just like your kind welcome :)

4. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributor Contributor

Study some of the classic narrative poems, then write a science fiction version with similar drama.

5. barcelonic

barcelonic Member

Again fiction's not my strong suit. Although I recently read Poe's 'The Raven' and fell in love with it. Haven't quite been able to get it out of my head since :)

I guess most of you perhaps are creative writers but I'm really not looking to become a more creative writer; i just need a brief plot to work with for this poem. I only harbour ambitions of writing non-fiction
    and I have the time now to start writing stuff and posting it here for criticism. I'm experimenting with poetry right now but only to improve the technical side of my writing. 'The Raven' will provide the metrical basis for my poem (I somewhat audaciously hope) :)

I hope you understand and I've made myself clear.
    Appreciate the tip nonetheless! :)

6. DefinitelyMaybe

I'm not convinced that it's that difficult to come up with a very basic plot to write a poem on. Particularly since you just want to write a poem to see how it turns out.

But since you do want a plot, you can rewrite one of Shakespeare's plays into a poem. There are huge numbers of places online where you can find synopses of Shakespeare's plays. Any stories decisively out of copyright are in the public domain and you can do with the stories and plot as you please. (Legally, if not morally, but if you acknowledge that the poem is an adaptation, I can't see a moral problem).

7. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

If you want to write philosophical poems, try reading Wallace Stevens. Just be warned that his poems can be very difficult to fully understand.

8. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

The point is, OP, you should be coming up with your own ideas and things to write about. If you just wanna improve, as you say, and don't actually care for creative writing much, then just write about anything - why're you even asking?

It seems like you're just too lazy to think - how can you write if you don't wanna think? Thinking is the best part!

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i have to agree with mckk!

why don't you just write your narrative poem about not being able to think of anything to write?

10. DanesDarkLand

DanesDarkLand New Member

You are going to find that is a common feeling among writers. We create ideas, protect them, guard them, hoard them, and develop them when we can. We don't give them away. If you can't use the simple and easy advice already given about plots, such as using some Shakespearean plays, then don't expect much more help.

Writers work hard. They write constantly, going through ideas and stories ruthlessly. They sweat and bleed onto the page. One of my favorite quotes is this - "Those who do not want to work, neither let them eat."

Those who don't want to work(or think), neither let them write.

11. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

You want to write a narrative poem, which is a creative work, but do no read creative fiction? Sorry, I don't see any hope of you writing anything good. Reading fiction and lots of it, does not just give you stories, but teaches you about narrative, timing, tone, all of the things you don't consciously think about but take on board unconsciously.

If you want to write fiction, read fiction, and then come up with your own story. If you want to write non-fiction, write non-fiction. If you have no interest in fiction you'll not have the tools to write fiction.

12. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I find it hard to understand why you're focusing on fiction/poetry if you want to write non-fiction. If that's what you want to write, practice that. But ditto the 'give me an idea' thing - if you can't come up with your own ideas, there's no point in trying to write.

13. barcelonic

barcelonic Member

Poe believed that the writing of a poem is a methodical, anaylytical process moreso than a creative one and most poets prefer to pretend otherwise. I want to see whether i agree with him.

I would have mentioned earlier but i have ME/CFS and i have about 2 hours a day to write and not think, and about an hour before i go to bed when i can think well but not write. I spend most of the day lying down, I'm unable to leave the house without assistance and I'm back living with my folks again because I can't cook or clean for myself.

I am pursuing writing because it's what I'm best at. I use words creatively but am not a 'creative writer' in the sense that I genuinely lack inspiration of any kind. In conversation I cannot initiate a topic but once I'm asked about something I feel like i could write an essay on it.

I'm sorry if one of the repliers feels 'unconvinced' that I really lack the creativity to come up with a small, simple plot but I truly do.

And as for the poster who cannot understand why a non-fiction writer would benefit from practising poetry - I don't quite know what to say. I feel as though so far my attempts to explain myself haven't gone too well. But it's already starting to test the extent of my vocabulary and I'm getting used to shortening certain sentences for a more pleasant-sound when read aloud. A non-fiction writer who writes poetically could potentially reach more of an audience imho; i think more people would be open to reading serious material from an unknown if it were casual as opposed to academic-sounding.

Again i hope i've made myself clear here. And if this is a strictly 'fiction' or 'creative writing' site then do please let me know - i've only made a few posts so no harm, no foul.
    But I can totally appreciate the remark about not wanting to give away ideas, not matter how big or small, so rest assured I won't ask again.

Thanks for all your replies & advice :)

14. Jamie Regent-Villiers

Jamie Regent-Villiers New Member

I cannot believe that you wanna be a writer and yet you are soooooooooo uninspired man! I have more idea for novels, short stories and poems that I will evva evva be able to use. So here are a few one liners for you to use, lose or abuse as you feel inclined.

"The age of anxiety.
    They took themselves to their oracles & prophecies.
    He would take the entire world captive if he could.
    All blinks, winks & grins.
    Seekers for truth.
    Spirits from space.
    Soldiers daughters never die.
    The desert of no return.
    Tried to make time stand still or at least runs backwards."

Enuf? Need more? Gimme a shout and I can provide you with as many as you want.

15. barcelonic

barcelonic Member

Thanks a lot JRV for your help & advice. It really is appreciated, and thats why I'm here :)

I really only plan on writing about non-fiction topics such as political science & world history. And before my diagnosis I was fairly creative and would write songs back then.
    I think creativity is subject to energy, much like everything else. ME is basically a 'laziness' disease - by affecting the cells' ability to produce sufficient energy all the bodily systems are affected, which results in symptoms which range from cognitive impairments to a senstivity to cold temperature and the inability to stand up without consequence. I do think my imagination has been affected, but I have a great grasp of English and am well-read in the areas I would want to write in.

Thanks for that text - 'spirits from space' is a nice idea to work with and perhaps it'll come to something who knows? :)
    It is indeed very nice of you to 'give me a push', so thanks again :)

16. DefinitelyMaybe

I have a relative who has ME, and she is very creative.

17. read the rape of the lock or rhyme of the ancient mariner.. I think those are really popular maybe you can gather some ideas from that?

18. barcelonic

barcelonic Member

Sorry to hear that. I'm sure then you'll appreciate that ME is an umbrella condition and symptoms vary greatly from patient to patient. I've not met another patient with the same set of symptoms as me - i doubt i ever would.
    It has been said it can reduce a person's IQ by up to 20 points and i'll also heard of sufferers of ME achieving brilliant things. I had it for 10-11 years before it became severe - i went to college, i was creative and wrote music, i hosted nightclub events and had a non-athletic but totally liveable life. But then it became severe and suddenly i'm leaving my job, leasing out my house and struggling to even concieve of a way to make money. Not fun, lol :)

ME/CFS is a essntially a vague term used to refer to a host of unknown illnesses. Just as a retroviral infection could be leukemia yet also it could be HIV.

Anyways its besides the point. The fact is I'm not creative; the reasons aren't important but I guess you'll have to trust me on it (it's not like people regularly go out of their way to self-deprecate) :)

Thanks a lot mate i shall check these out :)

19. Program

Program Member

Well, you just brought up a topic for yourself. Write about what you feel about those two things you mentioned. They could be two separate prompts or you could link them together. What do you feel in response some of the arrogance that's been displayed (don't reply in a post - write about it)? Although some people make fun of your thread, saying "come up with those ideas on your own lololol," they are giving you, or sparking, topics as well - take advantage of that!

At the end of the day, or whenever you have some time to ponder for a while, reflect upon the days events and what's happened to you. It could be actions, or probably better - what you've been feeling. If something intruiges you, go for it - even if something "seems" very far away. It's not likely you'll find a topic in a second - it can take hours or days, but a topic that means something to you is better than a topic you got off a website from someone else.

And by the way, great poetry does not have to have an awesome plot anymore than great fiction does.

20. barcelonic

barcelonic Member

Thanks Program you are right that's some good advice.

At the moment it seems like whenever I put pen to paper I end up writing deep truths about myself, in one way or another. To be honest I didn't and still don't feel very comfortable with it; it's kind of like a self-made psyche evaluation and methinks I'd rather not be writing about myself. :)

I read 'The Raven' recently and I was baffled and intrigued at seeing narrative poetry for the first time. Something like 18 stanzas of 6 lines each, every one of which sounding beautiful and making sense in its own right, yet collectively a wider plot of a man beguiled by a spooky black bird with a one-word vocabulary which begins to drive him insane while he laments his lost love. Such a piece of work, to me, doesn't seem like an emotionally-charged moment of true inspiration but rather a meticulously planned and expertly crafted poem. Such would require a way with words but creativity only for the plot really. I'm just having a crack at it, and its my first real foray into fiction.

Thanks for the tips Program and everybody else, its still on my to-do list but I'm working on a short poem as of tonight while i continue to consider the plot.
    Wish me luck lol :)