Vampire help.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by SirSamkin, Feb 10, 2010.

1. afrodite7

afrodite7 New Member

-mehuselah,i like that. and they're still vampires.do you by any chance have any of this story on this site?

2. Masli

Masli Active Member

nope not yet anyway

3. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

Here's a blog I posted here last year about the extremely obvious and undeniable surge in popularity of the vampire (or whatever you choose to call them) theme in the writings of young people of late. http://writingforums.org/blog.php?b=2448

4. throughthepeephole

throughthepeephole New Member

I enjoyed that. A lot. It makes me sad to see some truly great literature (LOTR, 1984, Gulliver's Travels etc) go unnoticed by today's youth in favour of SMeyer and her wet dream :mad:
    As for answering the poster's question: just call them vampires and let your writing do the rest. You never know, you might reclaim some dignity for this poor, utterly abused fictional race :redface:

5. Zombie_Chinchilla

Zombie_Chinchilla New Member

In my fantasy series I'm working on, I had vampire-like creatures, though later on I got rid of them. I simply found a Latin-English translator online, and found the Latin word for "blood," which was "cruorem." So, while I had them, I called their species "The Cruorem."

Maybe you could do something similar, but it a different language?

6. Sham

Sham New Member

Maybe Vampire names?

If I were you, I would focus on the Vampire names first, then the "vampire names". You simply cannot call a vampire JOHN. No, no, that's stupid. Name him/her an ancient or a long name, such as Vlont Caroga! Yeah, that has a nice ring to it. "Look out, it's Vlont! Run!!!!" I would also advise to make the vampire have a dim-witted sidekick(Tradition). Oh well, luck.

7. MissPomegranate

MissPomegranate New Member

If it's a vampire, call it a vampire. Don't get all creative, because it will just confuse and/or annoy the reader. If they drink blood, hate sunlight, and do other vampire-y things, guess what? They're vampires.

Personally, I think choosing another name from a different culture is pretty lame unless you based your vampires off that culture. You can't very well say "We are the Asanbosam" based on the African "vampire" but then not have them living in the trees or sporting iron fangs. And even then, few people will know what an Asanbosam is, and will probably just call it a vampire anyway.

Actually, "cruor" would translate to bloodshed or murder, while sanguis is latin for blood. Just saying.