1. Van Turner

Van Turner Member

Van's Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Van Turner, Dec 27, 2019.

The story so far. Or the prequel. Or just me explaining where I am at this point in the development of my stories and where I hope to be in the new year. Long post. Apologies.

Flight of the Starbird is a novel I began about 3 years ago. I think. And I say began. I introduced myself to this group saying I had been writing since I was about 14 years old, I think. Maybe I said 12. Not really checking my own post at the moment. I'm busy.

Boring history part:
    Over the course of about 5 years (1983 - 1987), I wrote 5 either really long short stories or fairly short novellas. They were a series called The Challengers and were inspired largely by 3 things: Doctor Who, a toy spaceship called Star Bird, made by Milton Bradley, and large coin depicting an image of Aquarius, made by the Bradford Exchange. These stories were written on wide ruled notebook paper in pencil and lovingly, if very poorly, illustrated by me. Still can't really draw. I'm going through the process of typing these old stories. Yes, I still have them. Reading them both is and isn't as painful as I thought it might be.

The Challengers isn't publishable if, for no better reason, that I shamelessly used elements that weren't mine, Doctor Who's TARDIS being the main item, with direct references to the Daleks, Cybermen, and other things belonging to the BBC. I was young and very much in love with this TV series. Had no idea what plagiarism was. Also, the Starbird features in the series. I think Hasbro bought Milton Bradley and I assume they have the current copyright on the Star Bird. Note the different spellings. Not sure that's enough to negate any potential legal issues. As for the Doctor Who influence, I have no intention of ever attempting to publish The Challengers. Best case scenario, somebody looks at them as some kind of fan fiction. Worst case - legal action. I'm leaving The Challengers to myself as inspiration toward better writing.

1991, I wrote a 203 handwritten-on-college-ruled-with-pen page novel(?), novella(?) called Flight of the Starbird. It's finished, save for typing and letting someone else read it and go through the edit and revise and re-write process. Except for that part I left out that I need to write in. And I kept the Starbird name but not the design. And it's kind of a snooze for a book.

Current story part:
    About 3 years ago I started what seemed like a good idea for a short story. It was called Alex and it featured a teenage military school cadet who got caught daydreaming. And then a world starting to develop and I thought of a way to include an old short story from about 1990 as the prologue and the wheels started turning and now I have three chapters in progress of what I'm tentatively still calling Flight of the Starbird. I wrote the synopsis for a class I was taking last year (2018). A synopsis for a book I hadn't written. Got an A for the class.

This is the book I want to publish and I had intended to spend this year (2019) working on it. Did some world building stuff but didn't manage to actually do much story stuff. This must change in 2020.

Another project I started a while ago (2011) is actually Doctor Who fan fiction. I know there are collections of short stories out there - legit, published collections. This is where I want to point this one. Only, it's 11th Doctor and Clara. It is set in New Orleans around an unsolved mystery, 2 actually. I need to do some research into one particular fellow in Europe to make this more colorful. And maybe even novel length. Don't know if there's any interest in the 11th Doctor anymore but Doctor Who is, if nothing else, adaptable. May work on this project in 202o, might not. We'll see how things progress with the main project.

And the last project is a children's story. With this one, I truly feel like I need help. 2020 will be the year to make this story real.

So, finish typing the poor old Challengers story I'm working on now. Put the other two aside, as I'm typing the third. Work on typing the old Starbird story (for reference if nothing else and to keep the wheels turning). Work on the new Starbird story. Look into legal challenges with the name and design. Come on, Hasbro, this old toy hasn't been in manufacture since the early 80s. Choking hazard or something. Get help with the children's story. Get it to an editor. Get it published. Realistic goals? We'll see.

Happy writing!

Andy_Megumi and marshipan like this.
  2. Van Turner

Van Turner Member

Added some basic description to what I've titled Alex. It stands so far as the first chapter of my novel. Made changes to begin moving this world away from direct Earth references and let this be its own world. I will carry these ideas into the other chapters I've written. Created separate notes documents for each chapter to catalogue changes and ideas.

Typed about a page of the old Challengers story.

That's all for now.

Andy_Megumi, Alan Aspie and marshipan like this.
  3. Van Turner

Van Turner Member

Added another seven pages to my main story, Flight of the Starbird. It's whole chapter introducing a character, which is what I intended for the first four chapters - one for each of the four MCs. This seems to be a common technique in YA fiction, at least the stuff I've been reading.

I added some detail to the character sheets for 2 of the MCs.

I wrote a new short story for my local writing group. They posted a contest with a writing prompt. Write 250 - 500 words about the person in the portrait they would send if expressed interest. I expressed interest but didn't get the portrait right away. I wrote my story anyway and then received the portrait, feeling very much like a I should have scrapped the story. I didn't have time to revise so I left it alone. I did not win. Oh well. Such is life.

I revised an old short story (from 1990) to meet a 1000 word limit for possibly entry into the writing club's collection they're looking to publish later this year. Need to write a couple more before the deadline. I want a shot at this.