1. Gammer

Gammer Active Member

Crazy Superhero Story Idea

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Gammer, Dec 2, 2009.

I was up late one night watching superhero cartoons and my sleep deprived mind came up with this idea for a superhero story

Basically this kid saves an old man from a group of troublemakers and the old man rewards him with a magical staff. Unknown to the kid the staff contains the power of Sun Wu Kung AKA Son Goku AKA The Monkey King himself. So the boy's in for a big surprise the next morning and finds out he can basically make it to school in a single leap. And for whatever reason he becomes a superhero.

And..that's all i have so far what do you think? Too far-fetched or what?

2. tonten

tonten Active Member

I think personally, anything related to the monkey king has been overdone. The premise of finding a staff beloning to the monkey king has been done before. AKA, The Forbiddon Kingdom with Jacky Chang and Jet Li.

But then again, as many have said here, it's how good your writing that flourishes your idea.

3. hszmv

hszmv New Member

I tried a story sorta like that only in this case, the kid was just a modern retelling of the Monkey King, but it didn't involve any real mystical elements. He was just a guy with monkey powers. And shapeshifting, though that got thrown out later.

4. iolair

iolair Active Member

It sounds to me too much like a cartoon, or power rangers ... honestly for me it would have no attraction as a novel. Sounds like a cartoon or kids TV plot...

5. tonten

tonten Active Member

imo, a good writer can make any crappy idea come to life. Although I personally think the concept of the monkey king is overdone and clichish, I do see a lot of potential in it being nourished in the hands of a good writer.

In the hands of a bad writer, you get Dickey Cheung's version of the monkey king.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

(and yes, this is a template post, which should give you an idea of how often this comes up.)

If it moves YOU, write it. Don't ask for approval first.