1. crashbang

crashbang Active Member

Currently Falmouth Uni, normal home is in Essex.

children, gaming violence and the media

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by crashbang, Sep 17, 2007.

Hi all. This is part of my coursework at A level and I was hoping you could answer this questionaire, below. It would be hugely appreiated. Just put your answers next to te question numberin the reply.

1. Do you think gaming violence causes children to be more violent?
    Yes gaming violence does affect children/ No gaming violence makes little difference/ Sometimes it can

2. Do you think gaming violence has a negative effect on children?
    Yes/ No/ Maybe

3. Are there positive effects of gaming violence on children?
    Yes/ No/ Maybe

4. Do you think gaming violence is unfairly picked on by the media as a cause of young violence today?
    Yes/ No/ Maybe

5. Is film violence and music violence unfairly picked on by the media as a cause of young violence today?
    Yes/ No/ Maybe

6. Should the media focus more on game, film and music violence?
    Yes/ No/ Maybe

Thanks

2. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

AAAHHHH. A toughie. Hmm...

1-Sometimes it can. Things can get etched into people's mind, child or otherwise

2-maybe or possibly. I'm leaning towards yes,

3-maybe but I don't really think so. Unless it involves releiving tension

4-Yes. I think it's used as an excuse when the parents should be having more control over what their kid watches. Some don't want to accept responsability for stuff ups that could of been prevented. (I could so go on....)

5-Again, yes. For many reasons. Mainly people blame the media etc because they can;t be bothered looking after their kids properly. You can't blame the media too much.

6-Maybe, it depends. I suppose (and yes, slightly contradicting my earlier responses) it depends on how violent the music etc is, or whether the children allow themselves to be influenced and their parents ignore it.

I have no idea if that helped.. probably would of gone into more....

~Doz

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

1 - Not necessarily. It may desensitize them to violence, as some critics claim. However, it may also be a harmless outlet to aggressive feelings all children grow up with.

2 - Overall, no. I believe the correlation is the other way around. Violence in games reflects the awareness children have of violence surrounding them in society.

3 - Yes, as I said in question 1, it can be a benign way of expressing bottled up aggressive impulses.

4, 5 - Yes. There has always been a scapegoat for the ills of society, whether it be comic books, rock music, television, movies, rap music, video games, or whatever.

6 - No, they should stop looking for simplistic answers for complex issues.

4. rml8607

rml8607 New Member

No gaming violence makes little difference

Maybe

No

4. Do you think gaming violence is unfairly picked on by the media as a cause of young violence today?
    Maybe

5. Is film violence and music violence unfairly picked on by the media as a cause of young violence today?
    Yes

No

5. Raven

Raven Banned

Why stop at games TV and movies are also a source were violence is featured.
    Violence is a part of entertainment. Boxing is controlled violence as is wrestling. Games Are small fry.

6. Frost

Frost Active Member

sometimes it can

maybe

maybe

Yes

Yes

No

7. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Only if it isn't explained to them that game violence isn't real.

Only if it isn't properly explained to children.

Faster eye-hand coordination.

Yes

Yes

No

8. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Hulls Raven has a point here, I mean, look at teh ECW WWWF, kids all over started being stupid and start wrestling each other, and not only that, start smashing into things and such because of this so called entertainment. These wrestlers train hard and probably follow a loose script but I would imagine that they have safety up there with other priorities.

And what about Jackass? hello to more wierd accidents from kids trying to get a laugh

oh and when I mean kids, I mean people of all ages... :p

9. debbiepanell

debbiepanell New Member

I think the parents that do the most complaining, are the ones who do not monitor what game their kids are buying, or the rating on the games when they buy them for their kids!

I think shows like 'JackAss' have more of a harmful effect, because its actual people doing these stunts ( is that show still on?) as opposed to CGI.

10. Raven

Raven Banned

I think Its upto the parents to teach their kids right and wrong.
    Violence is in Human nature. We cannot avoid it. But we can teach our children right and wrong.

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

Yes gaming violence does affect children/ No gaming violence makes little difference/ Sometimes it can

...yes [on the whole]...

Yes/ No/ Maybe

...yes...

Yes/ No/ Maybe

...no!...

Yes/ No/ Maybe

...no...

Yes/ No/ Maybe

...no...

Yes/ No/ Maybe

...poorly worded question that can't be answered definitively.. as worded, seems to mean should they show more of it, not that they should make a point of showing that it's not a good thing [which i'm assuming you may have meant]...

...if you did mean that they should focus more on the bad side of that violence, then my answer would be 'yes'...

...if you meant as it's currently worded, that they should just show more of it, then my answer is a definite 'NO!'...

12. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

Yes gaming violence does affect children

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Maybe

13. summer-ray

summer-ray Banned

1. in some ways it causes children to take a keener interest in the violent activities, but from there it becomes the parents job to educate them about the effects of violence and how to avoid it and why.
    2.I think the only negative aspect is the fact that children do mimic what they see, so as i said before, its up to the parents to educate.
    3. I think it has some posative aspects on children, they become more aware of how the world actually is, and doesnt tell the world is all rainbows and butterflies.
    4. yes, the media parade is always looking for something to whinge and carry on about, and when theres nothing else to dribble about they make their own stories up
    5.yes again, i think showing violence in films shows our worlds true colours, and violent music, though sometimes a bitout there and hard to understand, generally has a point. if you read the lyrics to most of these songs i think you will find that there is a message in there.
    6. no, they should focus on things that are important and generally interesting.

14. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Yes/ No/ Maybe

Yes/ No/ Maybe

Yes/ No/ Maybe

Yes/ No/ Maybe

Yes/ No/ Maybe

The point: teach your children defense, but not attack. Gaming violence is never good, and I use graphical gore in stories only to make the situation understood to a mature reader. Otherwise, it hurts young children. And the more to blame are parents.

15. crashbang

crashbang Active Member

Currently Falmouth Uni, normal home is in Essex.
    k guys, thanks very much for answering it. i now have to go organise it all :(

cheers:D

crash

16. swordfish

swordfish New Member

Yes gaming violence does affect children

Yes

No

No

No

No

17. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

1. No
    2. No
    3. Yes
    4. Yes
    5. Sometimes
    6. Goodness no

18. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Sometimes it can

No

Maybe

Yes

Yes

No

19. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

No gaming violence makes little differencen

No

No

Yes

Yes

No

We ought to focus more on useage of drugs and smoking in the media if you ask me!

20. lessa

lessa New Member

Speaking as a parent who was in on the first violent games.
    My two children played the games, it did affect them but in a positive way.
    They took out their frustrations in the real world in the game world.
    I knew what they did on the computer and with the games.

We joked that if someone was listening in on our home conversations they would think we were absolutely psycho.

Raymond after you kill your brother come and do the dishes.
    Dan when you have killed the alien it is time for bed.
    They are not violent adults because of the way they were raised. They also know cartoons and games are not real.

Some children have no supervision and they play the games then they sit and watch tv. the news the violent movies.
    they have no real idea what is real and what isn't.

It is definetly up to the parent to explain things to children from day one. Don't wait for the violence to take over and then blame the games.

21. tonyshucraft

tonyshucraft New Member

Video Games do have an effect but it depends on the people playing them, and the parents. I have played games since I was 3 or 4. And it has had a positive effect on me. But I knew from day one that it was not real.

At the same time in video games you get to make decisions that don't physically harm people directly. It's all virtual. But usually the person playing it has to be stable enough and know the difference. It's not a matter of age but understanding. It's on the parents end to know there kids and decide when they can play what.

It's just like a lot of things in life. A lot of things can harm you, not just video games. Yet people seem to think that the only way to do anything is complain and hope for laws to get made.

I saw something on fox news recently that talked about a scene that had some intimacy in it on the game Mass Effect.(a mature rated title) They complained about it and talked about how it is bad for children. Even how it should be rated adult.

My probnem with that is not that it can have a bad effect on children but the fact that those who talked bad about it don't play video games. The scene was short and when the guy they had as a guest said anything the contradicted their beliefs, they basically cut him off and all that stuff that the media loves to do.

The game itself is mostly about the choices you make to beat the game. Really if they'd look at a game like this, they'd know that this could somewhat teach kids some type of independence. Choices effect gameplay as they do with life.(although I am not saying that you have somebody play it for the rest of their life).

Also with the thought of stricter laws on video games. Why don't we be stricter the the media. They can have a negative effect on children too. Yet the media would disagree. Because they need more ratings. Jus like the artists who make video games need to know that there video game sold and was worth anything to the consumer.

22. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Amen to that, Lessa.

23. TheFedoraPirate

TheFedoraPirate New Member

Of course violent video games make kids violent! Just like Mario is the reason kids do 'shrooms and get stuck in sewer pipes. :D

24. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Exactly how I feel!

25. Bittergrace

Bittergrace New Member

Yes, anything has an effect on kids. or adults.

I think the research on this is biased and unclear. Instant gratification probably has more to do with my generation's apathy more than violence in videogames.

The violence? This is unclear. Video games do have a positive effect on spacial reasoning and reaction times as well as creative thinking. Not sure how much violence is important to this or not. I do know that all my friends who grew up playing violent video games are some of the nicest people ever (sometimes to their detriment).

Yes. People use it as an excuse to avoid personal responsibility.

Yes, see above.

No, the media should focus on things that matter, like wars and our crap economy.

1 person likes this.