1. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Video Essay Writing?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by jim onion, Nov 14, 2020.

Hey, not sure if I should put this here or under "Research", seeing as this forum is primarily for prose and poetry.

But I was wondering if anybody had any general advice or suggestions for somebody who wants to dabble in video essays on anime, and putting them up on YouTube?

Obviously video essays are different in terms of the format. But one of my main questions is this: does the actual writing (or "script" I guess) differ all that much from a traditional essay format?

I'm doubtful anybody here has much experience with this, but I don't think it will hurt to at least ask.

Things I'm already doing to help myself: I've had YouTube channels in the past where I uploaded gaming let's plays, and I've streamed on Twitch. So I know my way around video production pretty well from that end (how to use Sony Vegas Pro, some Adobe softwares, recording software and hardware, etc). And I follow a few channels on YouTube that make video essays already, and watching their content is partly what inspired me to try my hand at it.

Similar areas that I think might help: if you have to do lots of pre-planned presentations for a job.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  2. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

Good luck with this, if you pick it up! :)

I like watching yt video essays, especially when they're relevant to motion pictures and music. Some of these essayists are phenomenal in what they do.

I'm no essayist myself, and I don't intend to become one, at least not in a professional level, but have a look at these as a place to start:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentary_mode

https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/6-types-of-documentary-film/

I find them relevant.

And the product placement of the day: If you wish to dig deeper, there's also a masterclass from Ken Burns here:

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/guide-to-poetic-documentaries#4-examples-of-poetic-documentaries

If you take it, just if! brother, tell me how it went (I'm curious) and if you make a vid, don't be shy to share it.

jim onion likes this.
  3. jim onion

jim onion New Member

I don't think I can justify paying for anything at the moment, but I did at least read what they give you for free at that Masterclass link you shared, and it was quite interesting. Gave me some great things to consider when I'm editing.

In my last blog I vomited out a very rough draft for my first video essay script. It's definitely subjective, and because my mind works in mysterious ways it is DEFINITELY not in order lol. Very disorganized, as to be expected of stream-of-consciousness. And of course I want to keep "pacing, rhythm, composition" etc., all in mind when I'm editing everything together.

I think it will be necessary to have the script first, and an audio recording finalized, so that I can then figure out how best the visuals can fit the essay. After all, the essay is (in my opinion) supposed to be the main focus.

EDIT: And now, I am watching video essays on YouTube, about making video essays lol.

Malisky likes this.
  4. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

You can make a video essay about learning how to make a video essay, through watching video essay's that correspond to that. I'd title it "An Inception of a Video Essay".

Lifeline and jim onion like this.
  5. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

I usually made a big messy paper full of all the research information I gathered. Then I created a file that put it in a sort of bullet point format that would be easy to reference while recording. I was pretty bad at youtube though...

jim onion likes this.