Video Games As A Literary Medium

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Pheonix, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Prism

Prism Banned

I would like to bring a little-known -- but increasingly popular -- genre to this discussion: visual novels.
    Visual novels are a type of interactive fiction game that originated in Japan (where, mind, they are tremendously popular) which can be compared to choose-your-own-adventure novels. Unlike most games, the story is actually the focus.

The main interaction comes in the form of decisions that must be made at certain points which affect the direction and outcome of the story. In my opinion, they are vastly superior to CYOA novels, however, because along with not being required to flip pages, visual novels contain illustrations, sound effects, often voice acting, simple animations, sometimes even mini-games, simulation, puzzle, adventure, and/or fighting game elements. Not to mention that visual novels span every genre imaginable and for ALL age groups.

From my experience with CYOA novels, if you made an incorrect decision you would die. There was one possible correct route and everything else eventually led to death, period. In visual novels, on the other hand, while some decisions may well lead you to a "bad" ending, they could also merely lead you to an alternate story route. And even with the bad endings there's often a good bit of story surrounding it. Also unlike CYOA novels, they are generally not told in second person: you assume the role of the protagonist often in first-person, though third-person is not uncommon. They are generally very character driven, focusing heavily on interactions and developing relationships among the protagonist and the rest of the cast.

So, for everyone who said that games can or do not possess worthwhile storytelling, here is your proof otherwise.

2. will565

will565 New Member

Games like Bioshock, Fallout and Morrowind all have an excellent team of writers behind them. They are the only examples that spring to mind though, the largest focus on games at the moment is achievements and for some reason they're valued more than a great story. I think that story in games will become more important though as there's too much competition with simple shooter/slash n' hack games at the moment.

3. BlueJay27

BlueJay27 New Member

I'd say you've hit the nail on the head here. In an age of interactive media it seems that video games are just taking storytelling to its logical conclusion. What better way to have your reader (player?) feel for a character than to have them be that character.
    Also, to create a game takes skill, imagination, and a consideration of how your audience will repond. Perhaps I'm wrong, but aren't these some of the key things that connect the literary mediums that we call the arts? The one thing I would concede is that video gaming seems largely to be commercial endeavour. Still, every artist needs to make a living don't they?

4. Freya

Freya New Member

Literary medium... not so much but an art form yes. They are a wonderful way to share a story through movement and pictures much like any tv show or movie.

Personally I do find a lot of games are beginning to have deeper stories. Games such as Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Grand Theft Auto IV, The Elder Scrolls and even games like Dead Rising to a degree are having well developed plots or stories behind them. I think developers are understanding that a game with a well done story can bring in a larger fan base then even the best graphics. Look at the Zelda games, specifically Ocarina, in today's standards it have very crappy graphics but it is still widely played because of the story.

Personally I enjoy games with a story more than slash and kills.

1 person likes this.
  5. Drusilla

Drusilla Active Member

I always thought the Zelda games were way too good/deep/well-developed to be video games. I always wondered why the Zelda idea wasn't made into a series of fantasy books instead. Compared to most Nintendo games, the Zelda games are filled with mystery, (often) complex characters, excitement, excellent storytelling etc. People even theorize about the fictional world in Zelda.

But I love to play the Zelda games!