1. Shannon Davidson

Shannon Davidson Member

Writing Contests - Developing Writers

Discussion in 'Writing Contests' started by Shannon Davidson, Feb 25, 2021.

One of the interesting things this and other forums offer are writing contests. I have found that reading these collections, which are generally short and very readable, strengthens my own knowledge and skill, especially when readers offer their insights and impressions. I find it just as interesting to read how someone else interprets a work as reading the work itself. I might read something and find it sad and depressing whereas someone else might find it uplifting and inspirational.

For many authors it is terrifying to put your soul on paper then let others read it, but it can only improve your work if you're willing to listen to what your readers think! And by reading others' works, especially when each author is submitting to the same theme, you get to compare style, pace, rhythm, word choices, interpretation of subject matter, all things that might benefit you in your own writing.

Far from being a distraction from the works you're supposed to be working on, (eh hem) I have found that I get energized when I read other writer's works, and delve more deeply into my own manuscript afterward. It gets me back onto the right side of the brain versus the left, which is the critical and analytical side. The Debbie Downer of creativity, if you will. Same with my artwork. If I go to a museum, I usually run home and start painting.

Other benefits: Get good enough to enter publisher's contests and win yourself a contract. Publishers want to see you have what it takes to draw an audience. So use this resource. Write, enter, read, vote, and learn in a creative and entertaining way. Lots of neat contests happening now and coming up shortly! Just follow the link at the top of the page to "Contests."

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021