1. kas-

kas- New Member

vocabulary and grammar problem

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by kas-, Jul 10, 2013.

Well,English is not my primary language.My English is just average. My vocab and grammar is really really weak. So i wanted to ask,what's the best and easy plus fast way to improve my vocab and grammar?
    How did you improve your grammar and vocabulary whose English isn't their primary language?
    Please answer.
    Thanks in advance.

2. idle

idle Active Member

I mostly improved my vocabulary by reading. By reading a lot. As for grammar, reading helps too, but some practice is necessary - write, speak, think in English.

But don't expect to improve overnight. I've been learning for years and will continue for the rest of my life.

3. kas-

kas- New Member

Hmm thanks. Yeah nothing can be achieved overnight.
    thanks i'm on my way to learn.

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Yes, definitely read a lot. Look up any words you don't know and/or try to figure out what they mean from context.

Do you know any native English speakers (or speakers who have a good command of English)? Speak to them in English whenever possible, and ask them to point out any mistakes you're making.

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I think you'll get the same answer from all of us on this forum: The best (and most fun!) way to learn English grammar and vocabulary is to read books written in English. The sooner you get down to this, and the more of it you do, the faster your progress will be.

I'm sure there are plenty of books and websites out there that can help you with lists of common grammar errors, commonly misspelled or misused words, etc. Those can definitely help as well.

6. kas-

kas- New Member

Hmm thank you guys! yeah right gonna get the same answer from all. anyways thanks again :)

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

in addition to the above, a good way to increase your vocabulary is to get book collections of ny times daily crossword puzzles [or, if learning britspeak, the london times]...

when you can do them in ink in 30 minutes or less, start doing the sunday puzzles... keep a dictionary handy, to look up words in the clues that are unfamiliar...

also keep dictionaries handy at the table where you take your meals, on your bedside stand, and in the bathroom... browsing through them for even a few minutes at a time will add words to your vocabulary and fix their meanings in your mind...

8. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown Senior Member

English is my main language and I'm still not great at vocabulary and grammer. So don't feel bad, Kas!

9. Hollowly

Hollowly Member

I used this book Princeton puts out, I think to help people score better on SATs. It's called, "Word Smart: Building an Educated Vocabulary" and it's actually worked pretty well so far as I've worked through it and I do remember the words later. I'd say if you completed it you'd have an above average vocabulary. And yes, reading a lot helps too! :)

10. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Watch loads of tv in English, without subtitles. And read.

11. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown Senior Member

Sometimes I annoy myself because of my lack of grammar and spelling skills.

12. Haliburton

Haliburton New Member

When you are involved in your writing, try to use words that are not the most common. Try to find the word that fits what you are attempting to say perfectly instead of a word that "sort of says" what you intended. Keep your Thesaurus close by and use it...use it...use it. English is my only language and I use both a really good dictionary and my Thesaurus whenever I am composing an article or document. The end result for me is when people say that "I have a way with words".

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

hal...
    the problem i often see with beginning writers using a thesaurus is that they seem to think any synonym will work in any sentence, which of course is far from true... which is why i advise everyone to keep their thesaurus locked up till they don't need one...

failing that, it's a vital necessity to keep a dictionary handy too, to look up any thesaurus find before using it... sad to say, even that won't keep someone with a limited vocabulary from plunking the wrong word into a sentence...

14. B93

B93 Active Member

The suggestion about crossword puzzles has some merit, especially if you use a book of simpler ones, but I find the NY Times and similar newspaper puzzles difficult because of the amount of pop culture they depend on, and I don't frequently watch TV or movies. I always end up with the name of an actor or sports hero crossing with the name of a river in Asia and can't quite finish. My brother, who is an expert at the NY Times puzzles, found he couldn't do the ones in England because of their language differences, and cultural and idiomatic references.