1. Masli

Masli Active Member

angry?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Masli, Dec 8, 2010.

Hiya,

not sure if this should be posted here or in the word game section or something, but I'm looking for words to describe anger.

like inexplicable anger...

could someone please help me out a little?

thnx in advance

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I'm not sure what you mean by "infuriating anger". Do you mean that I become angry and it in turn infuriates someone else? As for inexplicable anger, words like rage, outburst and tirade spring to mind.

3. Masli

Masli Active Member

you can't get infuriatingly angry yourself? hmm sorry didn't know that. Bad example then.

I'm not looking for synonyms of anger, more like adjectives of anger...

4. VcatoV

VcatoV New Member

Hmm-use this as an opportunity to develop your style. If you are looking for an adjective for anger/angry, relate it to what happens when you get angry. Physical characteristics are a great way to connect with a reader....are your hands shaking? Is your face getting hot/flushed? Are you getting a headache from furrowing your brow so much? Are you gritting your teeth?

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's better to SHOW how angry the character is, than to rely on an adjective...

the former is usually the sign of a good writer, the latter of a poor or lazy one...

6. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

"Infuriating" means to make another angry. As in, "I find it infuriating when people disagree with me on writing forums." So, if I'm infuriatingly angry, it sounds like my act of being angry is making someone else angry.

VcatoV is right - a description of the physical effects of anger will likely be more compelling than an extra adjective, which will likely read like a redundancy: "Barclay turned white upon hearing Ramsdell's insult, and then beet red; without thinking, he picked up the poker and swung it with both hands..."