Tags:
  1. beehoney

beehoney Member

void row—why?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by beehoney, Nov 11, 2017.

Hello Writing-Community,

So, a new paragraph starts when something new happens. That’s fact. It should help the reader.

But I don’t understand why some authors make a single line (kinda like a break) and continue then with the writing. What is the good of this? Does the author wanna make a scene break like in Star Wars, doesn’t he/she?

Can someone explain me this thing?

Beehoney

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

first up paragraphs arent just when something new happens - they generally deal with a single point or idea

Line breaks (also sometimes *** or --- ) are generally used to move from one scene to another

3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Scene breaks? Is that what you're asking about?

Can you give us an example to clarify?

4. beehoney

beehoney Member

@BayView It sursprise me that (often in YA books) authors make this thing. And I don't know why.

5. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I'm just not quite clear what the "this thing" is. Is there a new scene after the thing? Like, a time jump or different characters or a different place?

6. beehoney

beehoney Member

@BayView Yeah, I believe it's a new scene. But I don't know why they don't start it on a new page.

7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

because it isn't a new chapter

8. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Also because of space. If you really wanted to, you could make multiple scene changes withing a few hundred words. If you started of a new page every time, then that would be a ridiculous waste of pages.

9. big soft moose

not to mention irritating the reader

10. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

There are different sizes of transition--a book (if you had a multi-volume series), sometimes a Part, a chapter, and a scene. Each transition gets a different amount of "Hey, reader, stuff is changing" warning. So there are different conventions for each transition. There's no particular cosmic reason why a scene change gets a typographic indicator rather than a new page, but since a chapter gets a new page, you need something smaller for a scene.

If the question is why every scene doesn't get its own chapter, well, that would be a whole lot of chapters. I'm writing a chapter that introduces my female protagonist to a new situation and a new set of risks; it has a few scenes, but there's a unifying purpose for those scenes, so they'll get a chapter. (Depending on how I end up chaptering things, the entire situation, from entry to exit, may be just one chapter, but I think it will be more. We'll see.)

11. Poetical Gore

Poetical Gore Member

When I have scenes I separate them with ***
    but when I have a scene and there is some passage of time between the events happening in two adjacent paragraphs I do the blank line and from what I have seen most novels do that as well.

12. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Traditionally the *** indicates a hard scene break while a blank line indicates just a regular, soft scene break.

BayView likes this.
  13. beehoney

beehoney Member

@The Dapper Hooligan In some books I also saw instead of *** a diamond made of diamonds again. I mean the shape, not the stone.

14. big soft moose

You can do all sorts of shapes - they all mean the same thing - some books do a little picture like a rifle or a heart (depending on the context)