1. Raven

Raven Banned

Sci Fi & Fantasy People.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, Feb 29, 2008.

Who here is a Sci Fi & Fantasy fan and why what is it that you like about the realm of science Fiction & Fantasy.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm a Sci-Fi fan, less so a Fantasy fan.

I'm intrigued by possibilities implied by different technological and sociological innovations. I am not as enamored of fantasy because I usually find the premises it is based upon less plausible.

3. lessa

lessa New Member

Fantasy is an escape.
    Reading can be an escape but in the fantasy realm nobody has been there except in their imagination.
    Historical, mysteries are common everyday places that you could probably visit.
    But fantasy has no bounds.
    Ride with Dragons on Pern, Live underhill with Lackey, the imagination is the limit.

4. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

I like some science fiction. Frank Herbert is a good writer. I also love Kurt Vonnegut. I would say that his earlier works are definitely sci-fi. I recently read Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke and I really enjoyed that. I'm going to try reading some Philip D. Dick later this year. Fantasy I don't care for.

5. Cogito

Childhood's End is good. He later revisited the ideas behind it and came up with a more well-known work known as 2001: A Space Odyssey.

One of my favorite SF authors is Larry Niven.

6. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I'm a Sci-fi fan. First book I ever loved: Starship Troopers. Favorite Movie: Star Wars. Favorite Character: Mara Jade. All sci-fi. Favorite Video Game: Halo/Mass Effect.

Don't know why I like it. Sci-fi just rocks. I love the crazy stuff sci-fi authors keep pulling out of their heads (Enders Game, Dune, Star Trek. So much diversity in the genre). The first novel I ever wrote was Sci-Fi (It kinda sucked though). I just love the realm of the future with giant robots, power armor, star fleets, planets, aliens etc.

7. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

I've been meaning to read that. I've heard it's quite good.

8. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I thought 2001 was a movie? Is it a book too?

9. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

Yes. Clarke and Kubrick wrote the screenplay together, and a novel came out of it.

10. Cogito

The novelization is quite good. Where the movie was confusing, albeit visually stunning, the book was much more effectively developed. Not that that is surprising, as a book need not fit into the time someone can comfortably sit in a fold-down chair with his or her feet glued to the floor.

11. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I don't care for fantasy, but I'm a sci-fi fan. I like the aspect of more advanced technology that could potentially someday be achieved.

12. Milady

Milady Active Member

Hmm, I seem to be the only so far who isn't discriminatory. I like 'em both.

Speculative fiction, as someone before has said, is an escape. When reading it, we need not be bound by the rules of this universe, or the man-made rules and technology barriers, depending.

Both are wonderful, and with their unique styles they cover every realm and emotion so far conceived. Feeling whimsical? Grab a comedic fantasy or perhaps one of the Hitchiker's Guide books. Serious? Grab a meticulously researched Scifi and search the stars, or an epic like Lord of the Rings.

It's all wonderful, really, though like Cogito says, Fantasy tends to be underdeveloped as the premise goes. However, you are working with just as unbelievable circumstances in scifi, too. I think it depends on how it's written as to what certain people like, but then again, that applies to all genres.

13. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

I wouldn't say I'm a "fan" of either genre, but I love stories from both. I'm not a big fan of series, but I like dark fantasies like Elric of Melnibone or the manga Berserk. Starship Troopers is the definitive sci-fi story.

14. lessa

lessa New Member

I have a question. What are Piers Anthony books.
    I have started reading a few sci fi books. Library is packed up in town for a move and no book stores less than 4 hours away so I am reading from the thousands of sci fi books. Some are decent but most have too much killing in them. Don and Dom love wars.
    I used to read Piers Anthony out loud when we were fishing on the boat. It was quite good but I can't decide which he is.
    in grade school I read Farenheit 451 and I think the book was called The Changeling. a girl with extra toes.
    I liked both of those. And a wrinkle in time was good.

15. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

What happened to HORROR?

I don't like either really. Though sci-fi is far better than fantasy. I would rather read and watch sci-fi than fantasy. I find it is far more intruiging. I spent too much time in the past digging into fantasy and created a whole fantasy world through a novel I wrote. From the soil type to the natural light. It was fun, but after that I was bored of fantasy. There was no longer mystery in it for me.

I'll stick with sci-fi and horror thanks.

16. lessa

lessa New Member

grew up watching star trek have enjoyed all of them except the one where they have gone back to show them in space the first time. that one is just a stupid series.
    Have seen all the star wars, watched the battlestar galactica don't care for the new one.
    Watched buck rogers just because buck was cute. hey I was a teen and didn't have much taste.
    watched all the old sci fi movies on tv. seeing them now sure makes me laugh at what we used to find entertaining.
    Even star trek.
    I think I prefer sci fi in movies as the books are so long and drawn out.

17. Cogito

Ah well, I liked Enterprise, but absolutely hated the original Galactica - it was AWFUL, almost as bad as Space: 1999.

You must be pretty young if you were a teenager when Gil Gerard played Buck Rogers. The show was entertaining but silly.

Science Fiction Theater had some pretty good stories, and so did the originalk Outer Limits.

18. lessa

lessa New Member

I think I was an older teen but that could be wishful thinking on my part.
    Outer limits was really good.
    Twilight Zone was kind of neat as well.
    for strange stories at any rate.

19. kallex

kallex New Member

I love sci-fi because it stimulates imagination and proves anything is possible and only some things are more probable than others. There are a plethora of, "ahas", in a good sci-fi story.

20. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone are both excellent shows. Back when I had cable television, I would watch them when they were broadcasted late at night on the Sci-Fi Channel. I miss being able to turn on the television to an interesting story in the early hours of the morning.

21. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I like both.
    Science fiction if done well can lead to interesting questions about where technology and society are going.
    Fantasy is a nice escapist way to imagine the world.

Of course I like to see both of them at war. It usually makes it a lot more interesting. As long as its realistic.

22. Raven

Raven Banned

I agree. I prefare Sci Fi but Will also be entertained by Fantasy if its done right.

23. Mr Sci Fi

Mr Sci Fi New Member

I'm a huge Cyberpunk fan. I think "Neuromancer" had something to do with it. I just find that the future in Science-Fiction and Cyberpunk stories isn't that far off from the way things are today. Gibson was practically a psychic.

24. Raven

Raven Banned

Do you remeber manga's Oedo Cyber City

[​IMG]

25. lessa

lessa New Member

I love the artwork.
    When I used to pick up books for the guys in the family a lot of times I would look at the cover. If the artwork was good the book went to the cashier. With 3 readers one of them was bound to read them.
    It got bad when the book came out in a new publishing and the picture changed. One book in particular I bought and gave to don. He read it but didn't like it. About a year later I bought it again with a different cover. 6 months after that I bought it again.
    That is when I stopped picking books for him. I even after all that got it for him from the library.