?

Pick the story you think deserves to win.

Poll closed Jan 16, 2019.
  1. The Star

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. But Wait, There's More!

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. The Miracle Pan

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Grandpa's Elixir

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Carter’s Lament

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  6. Fighting Against Temptation

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. Warehouse

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  8. Appraisal

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Closed Voting Voting for Flash Fiction Contest #62 - Infomercial

Discussion in 'Monthly Flash Fiction Contest' started by thirdwind, Jan 2, 2019.

Happy New Year! Thanks a lot to everyone who participated in this contest.

Please vote for the story you think deserves to win. The entries can be found here.

The poll will remain open for 14 days. Keep in mind that members may discuss the stories here, so unless you absolutely love spoilers, make sure to read all the stories first. ;)

2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Evangelizing Athorist Contributor

Voted.

Tough call between Carter's Lament and But Wait, There's More. In the end I went with CL, as BWTM was more of an editorial than a work of fiction. Didn't detract from it, it was well-written, but just a tad outside the lines for me.

Artifacs likes this.
  3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll Loved by a Sweet lady. :) Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Voting here was a lot like the Short Stories one. Lots of oddity to choose from. :p

Artifacs and dbesim like this.
  4. Artifacs

Artifacs Active Member

Voted in this one too. It was fun. Is there more? No poetry voting this month?
    Fighting Against Temptation
    A nice cyberpunk story. I like the futuristic approach of tweaking neural interfaces. Congrats to the author.

Cave Troll likes this.
  5. davidm

davidm Senior Member

Indeed. The poetry contest is now two voting periods in arrears, and none of the contests have prompts for January. :confused:

6. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Evangelizing Athorist Contributor

New prompts don't usually go up until voting closes.

Cave Troll likes this.
  7. Artifacs

Artifacs Active Member

Yeah, #310 is undeterminated and #311 didn't pass to vote yet.
    We'll have to wait the update. :pop:

Cave Troll likes this.
  8. davidm

davidm Senior Member

Well, the prompts used to be done months in advance. Why has that changed? Quite honestly, I don’t think it is that hard to come up with a prompt. One could take five minutes to open a dictionary and pick words at random, and after the five minutes are done you could have prompts posted for the next two years or more.

As to the poetry contest, two voting deadlines have passed without a result announced for the November contest, and without voting inaugurated on the December contest, which was supposed to have closed on Dec. 15. Even under existing prompt protocol, there should already be a January prompt posted for poetry. As I matter of fact, as I understand it, the submission deadline for the January poetry contest should be just ten days from now!

Honestly, I’m not trying to come off as complaining here, I am just honestly puzzled. :confused: It just doesn’t seem like running these contests on time and posting prompts should be very hard to do at all.

9. GB reader

GB reader Senior Member

Reading this months entries I can't help to notice that most infomercials are extremely well designed. They affect everyone the same way, although the submitted stories were very different I felt that you could easily string them together with an

“and there is more ...”

between them.

It looks like Infomercials affect any sane person the same way, I recognised my own reactions to them in every story.

But in the end I think the thoughts about flames and boiling tar in the afterlife for us sinners are just a breeze compared with Carter’s Lament.

Well done all of you!

10. Dr. Mambo

Dr. Mambo Contributor Contributor

Tough vote this month. None of them were poorly written. Something about The Miracle Pan tickled me, though, and it got my vote.

11. Night Herald

Night Herald The Illustrated, Blind, Solid Silver Bitch Supporter Contributor

Plenty of good stuff this month, as always. I liked seeing a few Cyberpunk-type takes on the prompt.

My top candidates were But Wait, There's More; Carter's Lament; Fighting Against Temptation; Warehouse; Appraisal.

Quite the mosh pit, in other words.

Warehouse ended up getting my vote. Just something about it that struck me.

ETA: I might be back with some commentary when I get to a computer and can type it out comfortably. WF and my phone's autocorrect do not get along very well, for whatever reason.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  12. dbesim

dbesim Contributor Contributor

For Appraisal - this futuristic story I found to be both imaginative and witty. The idea that these infomercials can instantly respond to your questions in an automated, commercial way was interesting.. and perhaps not too far away from what could be in future. I also liked that idea that a person could be matched up to their ideal profession. There already are dating sites that help match make people with people, but matchmaking people into their ideal careers.. that was quite unusual and I enjoyed the story.

13. davidm

davidm Senior Member

Voted.

Voted for Appraisal. Great idea, well-written, could be turned into a dystopian novel. Also a plausible vision of the not-too-distant future, which today already includes virtual reality, augmented reality, and brain implants that allow others to control the external world with thought alone and even communicate, brain to brain, with others. It also has a somewhat ambiguous and menacing ending that I find appealing.