1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. Vrisnem

Vrisnem Member

Vrisnem | Charlie's Story Re-draft Progress

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Vrisnem, May 25, 2016.

Charlie's Story
    Draft: #2 | Genre: YA | Goal: 80-110k

I've been struggling to find any desire to write for a while now. However, last night I decided to commit to re-drafting a story I abandoned seven years ago. I was around 180,000 words in and just four chapters (of eighty-something) from the end when I accidentally threw out my outline. I couldn't remember everything I needed to do to wrap up the story. In my attempt to work it out I realised the story was a disaster. I gave up on it. Every few months the urge to work on it would rear it's head and I would try my hardest to ignore it. It took me until last night to decide that, 'no, there is something here worth writing about'. But it needs work. A lot of work.

I wrote the first 2,504 words on the second draft last night and so far feeling good. The original was titled Taboo, but it won't really fit after the changes I make. So for now I'll just refer to it as Charlie's Story. My goal for this draft is 80,000-110,000 words.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  2. Vrisnem

Vrisnem Member

Wrote 1,610 words yesterday. The original felt very cluttered in terms of characters but my protagonist is on a football (soccer) team so it only makes sense. This time I've picked out a couple of key characters (his best friend, his captain, and a guy who particularly dislikes him) to focus on rather than having him form close friendships with all of them.