1. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Want to get better at reviewing?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by LordKyleOfEarth, Oct 14, 2010.

Then join us for CRITIQUE WEEK.

The idea is two fold:
    1) Become a better reviewer by focusing on 7 different aspect of story writing. Each day you will review a story and offer up a full review, but with an emphasis on the daily target. This will get you thinking more critically and force you out of your comfort zones.

2) Breathe some life into the (currently stagnant) review rooms. Lots of aspiring writers have posted in the review room and received little to no attention. Lets get in there and give some love, along with constructive feedback, to our fellow writers!

They say that the way to get to Carnegie Hall is practice, practice, practice. At the end of the week, everyone who participates (no matter how inexperienced you may think you are now) will be a better writer and a much better editor.

Also, if anyone has any comments or suggestions, for the focuses or Critique Week in general, please toss them up here.

4 people like this.
  2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Critique Week is fully endorsed by the forum staff. We feel this is an excellent idea on Kyle's part.

Participate!

What have you to lose except a bit of inexperience. ;)

3. LordKyleOfEarth

Two more days!!!

I'm seeing a burst of activity in the review rooms lately, looks like momentum is growing. It's never too late to join up and rock a week of self-serving skill development.

4. Naiyn

Naiyn New Member

So it's Monday and Critique week comes to an end. I just want to say thanks for this idea, I had a lot of fun doing it-- even though I didn't get anything reviewed on Saturday. And my Sunday review didn't show up until Monday cause it was late-- I'm still counting it, though :p

And you know what they say... 6 out of 7 aint bad. :D

5. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

I was hit with Life Drama and then the flu. :( *has not read anything for a few days now* I was doing pretty well until then, I think. :p

6. Manav

Manav New Member

I didn't keep count but I am sure I did more than 7 reviews during the week. I had fun :)

7. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

I'm consoling myself by the fact I've done a lot of reviews anyway. :p

8. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

The idea of the event, getting out there and doing reviews is more important than the actual numbers. I've wanted a push to become active again in the Review Room, and it worked. Thanks again Kyle for putting this together.

9. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

^Amen, dude.

It was fun just getting in there, looking at threads that I don't usually frequent, and finding things to review.

10. LordKyleOfEarth

I would like to thank everyone who participated in Critique Week. You guys and gals ROCK! Numbers are not important, learning is. If you missed a day or two (or six) but improved your craft in the process, you earned a pat on the back none-the-less.

Also, I'd like to thank the site staff for their endorsement and assistance with this. I could never have done it without them!

11. Paki-Writing

Paki-Writing New Member

Inexperience

There are certain things I like and am good at. I'll help my classmates in physics, genetics, etc. I don't feel qualified to do so in proofreading a paper.

The review room is intimidating. When I usually go in there, I see the SPAG masters thoroughly review works. After seeing an amazing review of a work, what's the point of an amateur going in?

12. Manav

Manav New Member

Reviewing is not all about SPAG and proofreading. You can simply give your comments as a reader-- what you like and don't like about the piece/story/excerpt-- and try to give a reason for it. Having said that, you should force yourself to do SPAG reviews if you want to improve in that department in your own writing. Don't worry if you make few mistakes, somebody will correct it, and you will learn something. I mean, this is a critiquing workshop and everybody is here to learn.

EDIT: There are many threads on reviewing, you should check them out.

13. k.little90

k.little90 Active Member

I'm sad I didn't clue in about critique week until after it was over... It sounds like it was a lot of fun. Good idea, Kyle!