Tags:
  1. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

WARNING - Bookselling phishing scam

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by jannert, Jun 5, 2020.

Mod hat on here - It has just been brought to our attention by our member SolZephyr that the website inamebooks.com is a phishing site.

They advertise books for sale (and SolZephyr's book is one that is being advertised) but they don't actually have books for sale. They require you to sign in and give credit card details and email addresses in order for you to 'order' the books they 'offer' ...but they are simply harvesting buyer's details.

Obviously, don't attempt to obtain books from them. But if you are one of the authors affected, you might want to lodge a complaint—although they have not actually pirated your work, so you're not losing out on sales. Here is the information from an Author's Guild spokesperson as given on Facebook:

Thanks to @SolZephyr for bringing this to our attention. :)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    Moon, Cave Troll, J.D. Ray and 6 others like this.
  2. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    Oh, great.

As if it wasn't hard enough already.

:supermad:

Thanks for letting us know.

Scott

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

this is one of many ... its really not worth worrying about, since it doesn't in fact sell books its not going to canabalise your sales.

In fact even actual pirate sites don't really hurt authors badly because people who download pirated books were never going to buy them from amazon or kobo or wherever, and people who buy legitimate books won't go to pirate sites because they fear the lack of legitimacy and the potential for malware and or phishing.

Worrying about piracy or making complaints about it is a waste of time that would be better spent writing

marshipan likes this.
  4. SolZephyr

SolZephyr Member Supporter

I know it's not hurting sales now that I know what the site is, but I still wanted to bring it to people's attention. I know I freaked out about it when it was brought to my attention, and so did the person who warned me. In case anyone else stumbled onto it, I didn't want them to go through the same stress I did (I legit thought I'd been pirated at first until @jannert got on the case).

Also, it looks like action is already being taken against them. The site itself is still up, but it seems that the link to its credit card phishing is now blocked, as are some of its malicious popups, so hopefully it soon won't be anybody's issue anymore.

5. jannert

It was actually our administrator, @Komposten, who had access to the back-end information about this site, and confirmed that it was not legitimate. So thanks to Komposten for that!

Books DO get pirated (I have a Scottish friend who had that happen not all that long ago—his out-of-print historical fiction ended up getting sold, without his knowledge, as digitalised eBooks on a site in Australia!) so it does pay to be alert. If a site appears to be selling your book without your knowledge, you have every right to investigate.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    Laughing Rabbit and SolZephyr like this.
  6. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I really don't see the harm in being made aware.

7. jannert

Excellent that progress is being made to remove them.

8. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

Those credit card phishing sites pop up again and again. Take one down and another one is up taking it's place a week later. That is not the only site I've found "offering" my books in an attempt to steal info.

Also, I have been pirated. I think romance is particularly prone to it. Epub.pub seems to have every romance. I haven't looked at it more than a second though so maybe it has other genres.

I'm not worried. I've been told by people much more experienced and successful to not worry. Like big soft moose said, they aren't stealing potential buyers because these are people who are not willing to buy books for whatever reason.

No one is selling my book though. That certainly would piss me off and I'm sure Amazon wouldn't be happy either since I'm supposed to be only on their site.

9. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

I don't mean to brag but my book is on there and it's considered a "HOT" item.

10. jannert

"Hot" as in 'recently stolen, need to get rid of quick?' :)

11. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

Tomayto, tomahto.

12. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

no but there's not a lot of point is expending energy on it... there's not just this one, both actual piracy, and pesudo pirate phishing sites are legion... be aware of it by all means but there's not a lot of point in spending much time trying to get your book taken off a pirate site

13. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Why we calling it "ph" fishing? Does it have something to do with the band Phish? I'd rather listen to a convention of Somalia and Nigerian scammers give their sales pitches than go to a Phish show.

14. SolZephyr

SolZephyr Member Supporter

That's just what that kind of scam is called. It's for historical reasons more than anything else. Here's an article if you're interested in that kind of thing.

The Origins of Phishing

Homer Potvin likes this.
  15. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Interesting. Apparently hackers like to replace the "f" with "ph." An homage to "phone phreaking."

Learn something new everyday... thanks!

SolZephyr likes this.