1. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

How to include references when I've forgotten where I got them?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Lifeline, Apr 30, 2017.

Here's a question for you:

Since about a year ago, I copied/pasted into txt-documents pieces of writing-wisdom from all over the net. I made myself a little (or not so little by now) 'primer'-collection. I included things I should look out for when writing, grammar stuff, plot development hints, character-motivation, how to make a first chapter worth it,... the list goes on for about two hundred primer-txt-files. I copied from all over the net (though not from here on WF).

So. I want to share. Say I want to make a blog-post about crutch-words (since that was the topic I researched right now). But unfortunately, it only now occurred to me—after I'd perused about twenty different websites and copy/pasted the pertinent bits into my 'primer'-txt-file, that I might need references.

So what do I do now? The 'history' function in my browers was turned off: and I pulled a list of words and definitions from all over the web, from i.e. blog-posts and pdfs where freely available. I want to share this 'wisdom', because I think it could be of benefit to others. Sure, I could rephrase, but some definitions are brilliant and I don't think I can come up with anything better.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

Honestly, references that cannot be traced are worthless. You need to find out who they came from- if you cannot, why should your potential employer care?

3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

If you've cut and pasted you have the exact text, right? So pull a couple sentences out, paste them into Google with quotation marks around them, and it should take you to wherever on the web those sentences have been used.

jannert and Lifeline like this.
  4. Lifeline

@Pinkymcfiddle : You mistook me. This is not for an application/work, but only for a potential blog-post here :)

@BayView : Yes, that should work (at least for the most current txt-files). For older ones, I can at least try. Thanks!

5. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

oh hoho sorry, extra-curricular fun as opposed to those five days of hellish subservience we all have to suffer out of every seven. The life-destroyer that is work.

Lifeline likes this.
  6. Lifeline

Yep. Now you know my idea of 'fun' :D