1. hawky94

hawky94 Active Member

Short stories collection.

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by hawky94, Jan 30, 2011.

Hello everyone.

As some of you have been reviewing my work I thought I might ask a question.

I was wondering whether or not to change the method of writing and combine my current 'novel' status into a collection of short stories - a series?

What are some of your experiences with short stories? How long should they be?, etc. Any other information you can give is welcomed.

Hawky94

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

1. getting a collection of short stories published is virtually impossible, if you're an unknown new writer...

2. you need to make a name for yourself first, by having them published individually in respected magazines/literary journals...

3. optimum average size for #2 seems to be 5k, but you need to check each venue's guidelines, as each will have its own preference...

www.duotrope.com is the best listing site for finding fiction publishers [book or mags]...

3. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

Well, if you want a collection of short stories to be converted into one novel, you might want to link it by having a seperate synopis and design document of the novel, and not the short story. Then use the short stories as a reference, not as "drafts." Take the important information from the short stories and include that in the first draft of your novel. I'm not sure if it is possible like Mia said, but it might, who knows?

4. ziggification

ziggification Member

Wrong forum, guys....

Try the Publishers forum in the Writing Issues category.