1. Tom Fletch

Tom Fletch New Member

Way/Reason to jump world/realm?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Tom Fletch, Oct 11, 2012.

Hi all,
    Without to much drivel, my story has two worlds, and the characters from one, jump/teleport/appear, call it what you will, on the other world.
    The story before i realized that nothing happened in the first 25,000 words involved someone coming from the other world and stealing something, and they find a way through to the other world.

But I've rehashed that, and most of my story is fine apart from the first bit, and i can't work it out.

Points to consider are they don't know about the other world, it being locked or secret...

Any help?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

That sounds like a major component of your story. It's really your job to come up with it.

3. Tom Fletch

Tom Fletch New Member

I'm not saying "do my job for me." I mean, just some ideas, i've been mulling on it for a few days and my minds just gotten stagnent and i can't even think outside the box anymore

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If it takes more than a few days, that's fine. Until then, you only have half a story.

Imagination is like muscle tone. It requires exercise to work best.

5. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi Tom,

I'm confused as to what you're asking. Do you want to know some way in which they cross worlds? In which case is it a sci fi or fantasy novel? Or do you want a plot that explains why they want to travel worlds?

Cheers, Greg.

6. Shard

Shard New Member

In this case, the thief is the original instigator. By your description, he pops in, steals something, and then leaves for the other world. He obviously knows how to travel between worlds, but your protagonists do not. Consider the method he is using to travel: is he using a portal, magic or otherwise? Your characters may follow him through recklessly, not realizing where it may lead. Adding a limited time frame for it to be open, due to power or other circumstantial constraints, would add to the tension. If the boundaries between the worlds are more vague, consider having your characters sort of stumble into the other world accidentally, like going to sleep and traveling to the other world in their dreams, or phasing through a weak point in the fabric of reality that leads to the other one. If your characters are unaware of the world, then the solution for getting them there must originate from the other world, in some way or another.

7. Intentionally Blank

Intentionally Blank New Member

If you're asking for ways to travel in between dimensions, then you have two real choices to accomplish one thing; create a wormhole. Now, you can either do that technologically, like something in the form of using lasers (light is an electromagnetic wave; electromagnetic waves can bend space time and allow for the creation of wormholes) or maybe exotic matter. The other method would be using magic- perhaps something in the sort of having lots of mages/magicians concentrating their power in one place?

Anyway, you should Google it. I believe Wikipedia also has some articles that will get you acquainted with the basics of theoretical quantum physics.

In any case, the 'thief' wouldn't be able to do this alone; he/she would need to have some sort of backup to travel in between worlds. Unless maybe you had some sort of rare astronomical event going on, such as a nearby blackhole or a particularly large radiation storm that might make world switching easier.

8. Carthonn

Carthonn Active Member

You can't just have something go missing and that's it. There has to be an investigation. Are the police baffled? If so, perhaps it should go to another unit. If the item stolen is highly classified maybe you could have a secret unit investigate the scenario. Maybe the special unit has experts with knowledge of teleportations...because they've seen it happen before...but they always need more evidence...evidence that this certain incident provides.