Wayfarer's Tavern

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Apr 26, 2010.

1. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Thanks, Gi. One of my friends has called me Miss Behavin' for years, which is why I was thinking about using that one, but I think the Half Nelsen one is a lot more clever. One of my coworkers suggested that I call myself "Half Nelsen, a.k.a Miss Behavin'" but that seems a bit long. ;)

2. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I can't breathe through my nose and I don't have a cold. Is this a problem??

3. Evil Flamingo

Evil Flamingo Banned Contributor

I was reading an article somewhere about leeches that are specifically evolved to go up you nose and...

Anyways, you probably just have a minor cold and you don't know it yet. :)

4. Gigi_GNR

:eek: Leeches?!?!

That's horrible! And yeah, I probably do have a minor cold, you're right.

At least it's not spiders. I have MAJOR arachnophobia. Even talking about it sets me off. Ever have a panic attack? Yeah, they're not fun and they're brought on by my phobia. :(

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Have you been shoving marbles up your nostrils again?

6. Gigi_GNR

Maaaayyybe. :p

It feels like it. Hopefully not cat's eye marbles, those were my favorite as a kid. So pretty. :)

7. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

I hope you get to breath normal again, Gigi. For some reason the lasts morning I've been waking up with a blocked ear (the ear on which I sleep). When I give it a little pull it gets back to normal but I've no idea why that happens... (and yes, I do clean my ears :rolleyes: :p)

8. Gigi_GNR

Thanks Lyd! :)

And that's weird..... are you putting too much pressure on it? Did something hit your ear? (My aunt has to wear a hearing aid because she got hit in the ear...not trying to alarm you, unless you, like her, were hit in the head with a baseball bat)

9. hiddennovelist

My ears get plugged like that a lot...I don't really have any insight into what might be causing it or if it's a big deal, but at least you know that you're not alone.

10. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Hello, peeps. I don't know where else to say this, so I'm going to say it here... So many questions that people ask could be answered if they read a hell of a lot more than they seem to be. Their textbooks for writing are (or should be) right there in their bedroom, lying in stacks on the floor, on top of the tissue box on the nightstand, in their backpack, on the passenger seat of their car... I realize sometimes we have questions that we can't figure out, but I almost want to just have a blanket answer I have copied and paste on a whole lot of the questions asked. The answer to so much of what they ask is, go and read and write. Do it daily. Stop talking and wondering about the art and craft of writing, and be engaged in it...frequently! /end-mini-rant :D

Hope you all are doing awesomely.

11. Cogito

Amen sistah! And even more than textbooks, novels and poetry books. There are so many examples of how to do just about anything you want to accomplish, if you just pay attention to the writing as well as the story.

12. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Complete agreement. I have a few how to write books and they have not been one tenth as informative as the many novels I have kept since childhood. I have payed close attention to how my tastes have changed over the years and why my tastes have changed. What it is about the newer (newer in the sense of what I am reading now, not necessarily newer publications) books that attracts me to them over items I have read in the past. What it is about the writing that I find more engaging.

13. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Oops. Just in case I wasn't being clear, I was being facetious about the term "textbooks". I meant that their "textbooks" for how to write--since they keep asking "how to" do it--should be the very books that, at least in my case, end up in all of those places (i.e. library books, fiction novels, etc.).

[​IMG]

Maybe some of you are more tidy than I, but at this moment I literally have a stack of books at home scattered throughout my bedroom, plus other places. [And some of them are very, very overdue. :redface:]

I've since come to realize that spending too much time with how-to-write books is just another way of not writing.

/endofmylongwindedness (lol)

14. sidtvicious

sidtvicious Contributor Contributor

Inferno, office 752. Take a right turn at the wat
    *wanders into the tavern with an umbrella*

Evening' all. How goes the world?

15. Rajikai

Rajikai Member

Um... That's quite a picture (makes me recall a rule), Hah, to much books for me. Though I don't understand what this topic is for (okay, I somewhat know is to prevent randomness, like me)

I feel like I haven't wrote a story in a while... How sad...

16. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I'm just curious, but for members in other countries, has your media been covering the UK leadership debates, and the election in general, at all? If so, what do you think?

(Not an invitation for a political discussion, I'm just curious as to media coverage)

17. Evil Flamingo

Evil Flamingo Banned Contributor

The only reason I know of UK leadership debates is through this website. Otherwise, I'd be completely oblivious, considering our media covers no such thing.

18. hiddennovelist

I don't watch a lot of news, but none of the "tonight at 10, these are the stories we will be covering" have said anything about it. Most of the news coverage in Arizona is of things like how many texts teen girls send in a day...it's a bit ridiculous.

19. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Really?

It seems odd, given the coverage that the US presidential election got over here.

20. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

I saw there was something about it in the newspaper while my sister was reading, but I haven't been reading that lately, so I wouldn't know how much and what exactly they mention.

21. Cogito

The only "coverage" I've seen on this side of the Pond is the flap over Gordon Brown leaving his microphone on and accidentally airing his personal opinion of a woman he had just spoken with on-camera.

22. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

The ABC (Pretty much the BBC really) has been covering the elections every night for an hour or so.

Mainstream networks covered Gordon Brown and his comment's on the mic yesterday. (As did every network)

I think Australian's are actually interested this time. We have another dud Prime Minister and it's good to witness a nation make, or possibly make a big move for change.

I most certainly will be keeping my eyes and ears open for any coverage that's on my television (ABC)

23. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

Brown's 'bigot' rant is quite popular around the world, I believe. MSN even has a special feature about foreign articles on it, and that's supposed to be almost as left-wing as the Guardian! I've seen a few pieces in German and in Dutch.

Also, in America there's a foreign politics channel, which sometimes shows House of Commons debates. There's also one in Ireland, I think.

24. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    I love the fact that Gordon is only human. I don't think there's anything wrong with his opinion that she was a bigotted woman, but I think we all know he would never have expressed that in public. I just feel so bad for him that he left his mic on :p It's the kind of silly thing i'd do by accident, and i'm one of those people that always somehow puts her foot in it.

25. Gigi_GNR

I've been paying attention to the debates over there. It's fascinating to see how other countries' elections work, because I'm so used to America's system.

Brown did have a point, but too bad for the mic accident. I did feel bad for him.
    I got to see the debates, and it was pretty different than what I'm used to, having 3 "major" political parties instead of 2 was what threw me for a loop. :)