Wayfarer's Tavern

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I know, right? It's hard to believe how much we grow in a decade.

2. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

The strides I've made in my life since those times have been far reaching, and certainly not expected. Good to see you again link. Its been awhile.

Link the Writer likes this.
  3. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

I've got something on my mind and it's not a Random Thought and it doesn't fit into the category of Not-Happy or of Happiness, either. But maybe it's something that'd go over well at the bar with a mug of cider or a glass of wine close to hand.

Were you popular in junior high or high school or college? I never was. No one ever invited me to dances or admired me for my personality or appearance. In junior high school, I encountered a bully or two, whose usual MO was to tempt me to say yes, I was popular and pretty, then derisively laugh her head off at how incredibly stupid I was. I learned early on to stay in my place, and by high school people like that let me alone. But I never let down my guard.

So, flash forward forty-plus years. I substitute teach in several high schools and middle schools in my county. And now I have all these kids, kids who would have intimidated the hell out of me back when I was their age, saying complimentary things about me. And here I am wondering if they're truly trying to say something positive, or if it's all a vast interscholastic conspiracy to wind me up.

I've gone through several years of kids asking me to school dances and offering me dramatic proposals of marriage. (The thundering sound you hear is my eyes rolling--- My usual response to these mock Lotharios is to make a tragic gesture and cry out, "No, alas, it can never be!" or some similar melodramatic trash.) The latest is two fan pages they've started for me on Instagram. I know of other teachers who have student-initiated fan pages on social media, so it's not totally weird . . . . So far, everything that's been posted has been positive, and yeah, I feel kind of good about that. But should I be on the defensive in case things get nasty and it all blows up? Or is it all right for me to feel pleasantly flattered and go on being the best teacher I can be?

I won't notify any school administrators about it. I learned in a previous career that the way non-profits solve problems like this (if it really is a problem) is to get rid of the individual the group is acting against. And again, there may not be any "against" here, and for me to make a big negative deal about it would be to hurt kids who are just trying to say something nice. Or are they? That's the question I can't openly ask.

This won't change my approach in the classroom. Oh, maybe it will, a little. Even before the fanpages I've used the line "It's great that you follow me on Instagram. I'd like it even more if you'd follow my directions for this assignment." You know, assume they mean well and hold them to it. And, knowing that they're taking clandestine photos of me (even though that isn't kosher per privacy rules), I need to make sure I dress well and don't do anything I'd be embarrassed to have posted online.

But it's all just . . . weird. Don't worry, I'm in NO danger of joining the ranks of teachers who have inappropriate relationships with students (yuck!). This is about me being unsure of how to feel. Because to some extent, I'm still that shy adolescent who learned the fine art of self-deprecation in junior high.

Hope this didn't sound totally bizarre. Thanks for the chance to vent.

"Landlord, another half of scrumpy, please!"

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  4. gertegan

gertegan Member

I was neither cool nor popular in high school or junior high. I taught middle school and high school for a few years and, like you, somehow became cool. Apparently our personality types are awesome when we're older but completely lame when we're young. Good thing youth doesn't last as long as adulthood. My only caution would be to make sure the kids know where the line is. I had great conversations and times with my students, but they always knew I was a teacher and an adult and not their buddy.
    If you don't try to be cool, the kids are more likely to honestly like you. The teachers I always saw take huge falls, including pranks, were the teachers who were always trying to be friends with the kids and trying to be cool. We aren't cool, we're old. If we embrace that, the kids seem to embrace us. :)

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  5. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

It's YOU!

6. Link the Writer

It definitely has. :) Good to see you here again as well.

7. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Who?

8. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Hi Lydia. Glad to see a lot of the old users still around. Think I'm ready to get back into writing. Military life took it out of me for a while. Funny that they're actually the ones that brought it back too.

9. Link the Writer

Just so you all know -- if I ever act "offended" because of a comment regarding disability, I'm just jerking you all around and trying to get you all riled into a frenzy. In short, I'm TROLLING you. I'll let you all know if I'm actually furious, ok??

10. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

I've had "Tired of Being Alone" by Al Greene on my mind the last few days. I even learned it on guitar.

I'm such a sad slob haha.

11. dmp

dmp New Member

Something I'd like to ask someone over a beer....

Why is 'blue' the default now-natural if not expected color of the lower half of american males, especially? Blue jeans. Blue Jeans everywhere. Even women. When we see somebody walking and their bottom half is blue we don't bat an eye. I wonder what would have happened if Levis made Magenta Jeans back in the 1800s.