Ways to avoid repeating said

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by alpacinoutd, Nov 17, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Also, with regard to this - this is what has been mentioned by others. It looks a lot like adding an action beat in just in order to replace a dialog tag. It can easily be omitted entirely without losing anything.

alpacinoutd and Vanna Heller like this.
  2. Vanna Heller

Vanna Heller Banned

Well I mean I was just making my point that there were other ways of saying "said".

alpacinoutd likes this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

There are but using a lot of them in quick succession is a mark of an amateur writer

4. Lazaares

Lazaares Contributor Contributor

Precisely this. Elegant variation is something advertised as "good writing" by a lot of guides and know-hows, yet tends to end up killing a piece. A dozen said 's are better than reaching the point where you use "he stammered" and "he remonstrated".

5. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Lately I've been dropping speech tags even interrupting the speech with action without attributing the action to anyone.
    “Well, actually,” blushing, guilty look cast Delph's way. “I'm going out.” - this is from my WIP. Here it's hard to tell who said it but within it's paragraph it's clear the speech belongs to Finlay. I use said rather sparingly usually as an anchor to avoid confusion and/or when I want the words, and who said them, to be the emphasis not any action.
    I limit 'fun' speech tags like - he declared, he shouted, he ranted because when they add up they sound dim - like your reader isn't aware he's ranting or shouting or what not - if you've done your work in the scene they don't need the speech tag as a reminder as it becomes a little like - "Will you marry me," he proposed. No duh.

One technique I did to limit my tags - write them all in - then cut half of them. If it doesn't make sense work out the dialogue till it does. Keep doing that and after a while you'll find you don't need half as many as you thought you did plus it forces you to make your characters more distinctive, or to work in action to make them stand out - all in all it works in your benefit.

6. Vanna Heller

Vanna Heller Banned

Yes, I am aware of that. I never said that they shouldn't use said, I was just saying other words here and there are better than just saying "said" all the time. It was only an example.
    I may not be an advanced writer than most of the members on here, but I know that is amateur writing. Like I stated already, just giving an idea of what I was talking about.

Seven Crowns and alpacinoutd like this.
  7. Underneath

Underneath Member

That sounds weird. It would pull me out of the story to read that. Sounds like online role play that would be between * *’s, due to the lack of a he, or she, or general attribution. Even if the speaker is evident action tags should still be attributed.

alpacinoutd likes this.
  8. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I'm okay with that I have a very weird style. It's not for everyone. I read a lot of eclectic things and if I see a writer doing something that is cool I'll try it. I'm not into a 'clean genre' style I want something a little shaggy, a little offbeat.

Xoic and alpacinoutd like this.
  9. Underneath

Underneath Member

I think something like

“With a blush, a guilty look was cast Delphine’s way.”

Would work without the attribution. Maybe my problem with it is the tense.

alpacinoutd likes this.
  10. alpacinoutd

alpacinoutd Senior Member

Is it okay to use adverb after "said"? A lot of people have told me to avoid using adverbs unless absolutely necessary.

"You are more beautiful than a meadow overflowing with flowers," he said, nervously.
    "What? Are you a retard or something? You just made me want to puke," she said disgustedly.

11. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

You have to be really careful with the adverbs. Use them very sparingly. You can get away with one every now and then, but if you use, say, 2 or 3 on the same page, it's overkill.

alpacinoutd and Naomasa298 like this.
  12. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

It depends mostly on whether the adverb is actually necessary.. in the first example it is, because we have no other way of knowing that hes nervous rather than confident (unless you've shown him tentatively aproaching in a previous paragraph in which case we already know and the adverb is unnecessary)

In the latter example is clear from her words that shes disgusted by him, so you don't need the adverb

you also have to watch out for instance of redundancy like 'shouted loudly' - its difficult to shout quietly.

also there can be a case where verbs other than said are the better choice such as whispered or hissed being better than 'said very quietly'

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    Thundair, alpacinoutd and Naomasa298 like this.
  13. Rosacrvx

Rosacrvx Contributor Contributor

Thank you for finally making this crystal clear to me. So this is a beat!
    We don't even have a name for it in Portuguese because this hasn't been done until recently through Anglo-Saxon literature influence. It's not always possible to do this in Portuguese. On the other hand, we have many different verbs to replace "said".
    I keep an eye on these threads in case I ever need to translate. But I think my Portuguese writing will always sound "foreign". Which isn't completely a bad thing as long as the reader knows it's indeed foreign and a translation.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    alpacinoutd and Naomasa298 like this.
  14. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I saw a comment from a writer whose thinking is similar to mine on the dialogue tag issue, but he was able to get to the heart of it more succinctly. He said the issue is one that revolves around trust:

1. The writer doesn't trust his or her own ability. They don't trust they've adequately conveyed emotional context or some other aspect of the dialogue, so they feel the need to use a dialogue tag that tells the reader exactly waht they're trying to convey.

2. The writer doesn't trust his or her readers. They've done their job adequately, but think maybe their readers are extra thick and need to be hit over the head with redundancy in the form of dialogue tags.

I think the above is true, generally speaking.

Which doesn't mean other dialogue tags (including adverbs) are never a good idea. But if you find yourselves relying on them it is worth asking why.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  15. Chuck_Lowcountry

Chuck_Lowcountry New Member

I'm a programmer and have been using Python and the NLTK library to analyze my 92K 1st draft.

Following are usages of "said" along with the bigram's (two word phrases) counts. The tokens were forced to lower case. It may appear that inanimate objects speak. :)

BTW, I'll kill at least 1/4 to 1/3 of these attributes in my 3rd draft.

said natalie 143
    said jimmy 104
    said dumas 97
    said shu 95
    said tyler 94
    said alex 78
    said amber 58
    natalie said 53
    said courtney 51
    said we 45
    said bernee 42
    said deion 42
    said brianna 40
    said mona 38
    said brandon 37
    said dr 37
    said hwang 37
    said the 37
    head said 35
    said that 33
    said you 30
    tyler said 30
    said it 29
    smiled said 29
    said miller 24
    jimmy said 23
    nodded said 23
    said he 23
    said let 23
    said no 23
    alex said 22
    room said 22
    said she 22
    yes said 22
    said josh 21
    said yes 21
    fang said 19
    right said 19
    bernee said 18
    hand said 18
    know said 18
    said looking 18
    said flanders 17
    said jen 17
    flanders said 16
    said shanice 16
    amber said 15
    brianna said 15
    hwang said 15
    go said 14
    he said 14
    okay said 14
    percent said 14
    said evans 14
    said secretary 14
    said sorry 14
    said this 14
    thank said 14
    dumas said 13
    said max 13
    she said 13
    deion said 12
    miller said 12
    mona said 12
    said agent 12
    said good 12
    said james 12
    said olson 12
    see said 12
    time said 12
    door said 11

[huge list put in spoiler tags for length, by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2020
    LucatheRat and Cave Troll like this.
  16. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

.... "door said"? :confused: o_O

Oh wait, I think I get it. And this is what you meant by "It may appear that inanimate objects speak", isn't it? But I'm guessing it's something like "Open the door," said John.

Cave Troll and Chuck_Lowcountry like this.
  17. Chuck_Lowcountry

Absolutely! I eliminated all punctuation before analyzing the phrases. :D

Xoic likes this.
  18. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Wow that is a lot of 'said'.
    I am glad to say I have 100% eliminated it from everything I've written to date. :)

Thundair, Xoic and Chuck_Lowcountry like this.
  19. Chuck_Lowcountry

Could you share some examples of how you avoided said? It is considered the most innocuous and less distracting tag attributes. I will reduce it by ensuring the reader has enough info to know who is talking. Of course, whispered, murmured, called, shouted, and yelled have their place on occasion.

Cave Troll likes this.
  20. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Here is a sample from a short in prog. :)

“What’ll it be?” The thick accent of the bartender met my ears as I rested my rucksack next to a stool.
    “Coffee, please.” I perched on the stool, surveying the younger man covered in vibrant tattoos, some of which glowed under a UV light as he set about getting my order.
    “New in town?” The heavily inked Saturnalian placed a mug beneath the spout of a large urn.
    “Yes sir.” I sat with my hands resting on the polished bar top.
    “You still in?” He pointed at the service tattoos on my forearms, as he set the steaming cup before me.
    “Nah, fresh out.”
    “Cream or sugar? Where were you at?”
    “Please. I was out at Jupiter.”
    “Ooh, I heard it was bad out there. Still ongoing?” He slid over a small tray with non-dairy creamer and sugar.
    “It’s been over for about two months now.” I set about mixing the condiments into the coffee.

Chuck_Lowcountry likes this.
  21. Chuck_Lowcountry

Thanks for the examples. I love SF and the military, even the futuristic defenders of the cause. :)

Are most of your conversations only two people? Always first person POV when dialoging? This POV seems to be conductive to eliminating most of (all in your case) those "said" tags. The reader always understands the pronoun "I" and to whom it refers, and by association, the other person.

The risk may be too many "I [verb]" constructs that may sound repetitive to the ear, but "I suppose" that is the point of 1st person POV. :)

My first draft use of "said" involves two to six people in conversations and is told from a 3rd person objective POV.
    I am inspired to to give it another whack to see if I can reduce those tag attributes.

Thanks.

Cave Troll likes this.
  22. Naomasa298

As mentioned upthread - use a mix of action beats, other dialogue tags and simply omitting them entirely.

But don't do it to the point where it looks like you're deliberately doing it.

Action beats can be used in third person as well as first.

23. Naomasa298

That's 2088 "said"s in 92k words - that's 2% of your entire word count, or one in every 50 words. That, IMO, is way too excessive. Even if cut down by 1/3rd, it seems too high.

While it's not necessary to avoid "said" like the plague, as some people would suggest, there's also a need to mix it up.

24. Chuck_Lowcountry

@Cave Troll provided an example and wrote that he eliminated all of his "saids". I'll study that. I am in search of 3rd person objective examples other than Hemingway.

Cave Troll likes this.
  25. Naomasa298

Post #8 and post #11.