Ways to avoid repeating said

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by alpacinoutd, Nov 17, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    No, I've done it in 3rd POV too. :)

alpacinoutd and Chuck_Lowcountry like this.
  2. Oracle Ruby

Oracle Ruby Member

Here is this website, that I found a month ago

https://www.spwickstrom.com/said/

3. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

The thing is, if you use these alternatives too often, or unnaturally, it looks amateurish because it looks like you are avoiding "said". I can't think of the last time I read anything that used "articulated" as a dialogue tag.

"Ejaculated" is a good tag though. Holmes and Watson liked to ejaculate. Not that I've used it in any of my work.

Chuck_Lowcountry and Cave Troll like this.
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

As I mentioned higher up this is a terrible idea because it really looks amateur... scattering he acknowledged, he pronounced, he spat, he ejaculated, he counselled, he corrected etc and so forth so fifth through your work will not make it better.

Best to leave that website in the early nineties (which is where its design belongs by the by), and either use said, or use beats, or no tags at all as has been amply demonstrated in this thread

deadrats likes this.
  5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

best not to use it in erotica or people will get confused :D

6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Okay, I laughed.

deadrats and Rosacrvx like this.
  7. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Honestly, there really isn't much wrong with a standard "said." Tacking on all the extra dialogue tags add nothing to the story if the dialogue and body language itself is done right. Tagging is just extra word count that bogs down the reading speed unless the word is critical.

alpacinoutd and Homer Potvin like this.
  8. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I use "said" almost exclusively. The attributions are only there to attribute when needed. No reason to ask them to do more than that.

And I love me some dialogue beats, too, but only like a sixth or seventh at a time. Let the characters speak. Don't try to get in the way.

9. big soft moose

If i'm using tags i nearly always use said.. or asked... i very occasionally might use hissed/whispered or shouted/screamed... because it is generally better to use a different tag than add a lot of adverbs to said.

i also use a lot of beats and where only two people are talking unatributed dialogue if its obvious who is speaking

I can't think of any circumstance where I've used stuff like 'he articulated' at least not since i was at school

(in the Uk school system you get better marks by using a lot of different tags, and also a lot of adverbs... which is stupid since pro writers do neither)

LucatheRat and jannert like this.
  10. Naomasa298

I did both English Lang. and English Lit. GCSE and we were never actually taught any writing techniques at all. We were just given assignments to do and marked on them. No critiques either.

Sounds like I should be thankful!

LucatheRat and jannert like this.
  11. LucatheRat

LucatheRat Active Member

That's my disease, and every time I re-read pieces like that, they appear purple as an eggplant.

How about whispered?

12. big soft moose

Whispered and indeed shouted are better than 'said adverbly' in most cases... but it depends on whether you've already established that the characters are talking quietly... if you have you don't need to use whispered for every tag

LucatheRat likes this.
  13. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I heartily endorse this method. Nothing wrong with 'said,' but it doesn't do anything BUT attribute the dialogue to the speaker. However, sometimes that's all that's needed. But if somebody is whispering, or shouting, or bellowing, 'said' doesn't always do the trick—and you'll either need an adverb or a different word. But I would use these only when it's important for the reader to know what tone of voice the speaker is using. Otherwise they draw undue attention to themselves, and they can get pretty silly.

Beats are great, though. Beats do double duty. They not only attribute who is speaking, but they provide visuals, body language, reactions, etc. They give the dialogue context.

alpacinoutd, deadrats and N.Scott like this.
  14. big soft moose

i have never forgotten the occasion while we were studying Dickens on which the brief was to write an account as though you were a street urchin in regency london (leaving aside that such would most likely be illiterate). I wrote a piece replete with grammatical inaccuracies, and miss spellings, because that's how you'd expect an illiterate street urchin to talk. as in "me names Davey, i aint never had no learnin, cos me n Bill spen all our time ont rob, working fer Mr Fagin"

My idiot teacher went through and corrected every single 'error' to the queens English, which would have completely destroyed the feel of the piece, and gave me a D with the note that "this piece was incredibly baldly spelt and punctuated, you can do better than this" No shit Sherlock... that'll be because I'm not a regency street urchin.

15. LucatheRat

LucatheRat Active Member

This problem exists in many school systems, one of my first mentors hammered it hard in her student's brain too. Her dogmas were "don't write in first person" and "avoid repetitions at any cost". I wonder how much of us are out there, still having that brand on their brain.

Good grief. To give her some credit - my teacher at least gave us a chance to explain our writing, and when we failed (which happened in about 80% of cases), she would color the whole text with highlighters.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    alpacinoutd likes this.
  16. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Before you start deleting, ask yourself if your "said" usage is really too much. There may not even be a problem. Only fix what's broken.

In writing, "said" appears about 1 times out of 1000. You can look that up in Google Ngrams among other places. You should approach the average, but you can't take that number as a law coming down from Mt. Sinai, because you're writing fiction. If all writing involved lots of discourse, then "said" would show up more. Voice changes this. Genre changes it too. Different audiences have different expectations. So does each story.

These are some authors who share elements of my style, but do it better. (insert sad face) I did some calculator division with Calibre's "report" function. The number in front is how often they use "said." For example, JRJ uses "said" every 955th word.

955 --> Jeremy Robert Johnson, "Entropy in Bloom: Stories"
    954 --> Patrick Suskind, "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer"
    850 --> Paolo Bacigalupi, "Pump Six and Other Stories"
    725 --> Cody Goodfellow, "Strategies Against Nature"
    360 --> Chuck Palahniuk, "Fight Club"
    171 --> Nathan Ballingrud, "North American Lake Monsters"
    138 --> Richard Matheson, "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet and Other Stories"

So if 1000 is the norm for writing for "said," and I'm looking at voices which reflect my own, there are authors who hit that target almost perfectly and there are others who use it at 10 times the norm. The difference from above is that JRJ's stories are more trapped in a person's perceptions while Matheson is very "in the moment." Ballingrud has a lot of one-on-one dialog, while Suskind narrates high above the action. It really depends on the story. (When it comes to sentence structure, Ballingrud and Suskind have similar styles too.) I can't look at Matheson and say that there's too many said's any more than I can look at JRJ and say there's not enough. Both of them do what's necessary to drive the story home with impact.

I'd say to compare your writing to your favorite author—with a book that's similar in style, that's important—and see how close you are to the target they've already set.

850 --> Proust, "In Search of Lost Time"
    226 --> George RR Martin, "A Feast for Crows"
    132 --> Dumas, "The Count of Monte Cristo"
    98 --> JK Rowling, "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"

I should write a script and feed about a thousand books into it . . . hmmm. Maybe later.

17. Chuck_Lowcountry

Chuck_Lowcountry New Member

I agree that cutting 1/3 is insufficient. I'll endeavor to reduce those counts further. But for a 1st draft I think this count is perfectly fine, given that I actually completed a first draft. :)

My primary goal is simply that the reader knows who is speaking and he or she is not distracted by tag attributes or a wonky workaround that negatively affects the cadence and rhythm as I is read out loud.

I'm working on the 2nd draft, and replacing several "said" verbs with other speaking verbs that are add to the dialog (e.g. whispered, murmured, called, yelled, shouted, screamed, etc.) In my 3rd draft, I hope to rephrase paragraphs in order to remove many of these attributes.

Honestly, my chief challenge is using tag attributes in three or more people conversations and while sticking to a 3rd person objective POV. But I have some ideas on how to make this work.

I'll be able to report on this in another two months. :)

jannert likes this.
  18. Chuck_Lowcountry

I almost asked what you meant by posts 8 and 11. I saw the numbering system as I was asking. :D

My dialog is riddled with action beats. My problem, being a noob writer of fiction, is my OCD suckered me into adding tag attributes. This is a great reminder I need to eliminate a great deal of them.

Thanks!

19. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Sometimes you can simplify dialogue by removing it and instead do a bit of telling. For instance—

Door insisted, and maintained his stance, but the windows and moldings refused to budge. :cool:

alpacinoutd likes this.
  20. Chuck_Lowcountry

I was getting ready to challenge you on this point to see you do it with multiple people in 3rd Objective POV. But I was reminded in this thread that all of my action beats I included over the past six-weeks are my ticket to reducing my usage of "said". :)

Cave Troll likes this.
  21. Naomasa298

Trust your readers. In a scene with two people speaking, it should be fairly clear from the dialogue who is talking. A good rule of thumb is to use a tag once every three sentences or so, just to remind them.

It should never be a wonky workaround. It needs to be natural and flow properly.

Here's an example of what I mean - it's an example from one of my stories.

"Sorry for your loss," I said.
    Toby grinned. "I'm not. The old man was a bastard."

In this scene, there are only two people present, so I didn't need a tag in the second line. I could have omitted the action beat completely, as it would have been obvious that Toby is the one replying, but the action beat is not there to replace a dialogue tag. It's there to show how Toby feels about his father's death - which the dialogue itself does, but it emphasises his emotional state.

22. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I think this can work very well. One of my works does not have a single piece of quoted dialogue, but lots of conversations.

23. Chuck_Lowcountry

Thanks for the comprehensive list. Here is my general problem with many of these attributes. I'm a noob at creative writing so I could be wrong. I'm open to feedback.

I'll use this example for the linked site
    In this case, 'disputed' is non-valued because the Jason's dialog makes it clear he is disagreeing with the other person. I would choose "said" if a tag attribute was required.

I would use action beats similar to this as I have been reminded in this thread.

Jason shook his head as the class watched the historical footage. “No, no, no, I disagree with you. NASA landing on the moon is not a hoax!”

24. Chuck_Lowcountry

Excellent point for two people. Maybe I need to step away from multiple people participating in a conversation and break it up without disrupting the story. Or I could use action beats to more effect.

alpacinoutd likes this.
  25. BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl Contributor Contributor

Some words I use to replace "said" (especially with conversations between 2 or more characters): Explained, replied, retorted, shot, asked.

They aren't used all the time, of course. Just like using the word "said", it's all about finding the right balance.