1. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

Ways to introduce a love interest character...

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Ryan Elder, Dec 24, 2016.

Basically for my screenplay story, which is a suspense thriller about a cop going after criminals, that sort of thing... The MC cop has a love interest. The love interest doesn't really play a role in the actual crime plot, but is more like a moral compass for the MC, kind of like the wife of the Al Pacino character in Heat (1995), or something like that, as the MC descends further and further into darkness.

Basically I have her scenes down from the second act and forward. But I am not what to write for her, for an introduction. I should probably introduce her in the first act, with the MC and not wait till she becomes a moral compass in the second act, right?

So in order to introduce her in the first act, I am just not sure how to do it. One person suggested that I should have her in bed with the MC as the MC gets his phone call, about the next crime that happened, but that has been used a lot in fiction, and feels cliched, at least to me.

I wasn't sure what to write for dialogue for an intro scene as well, so I thought of this scene from the movie Bullitt:

The love interest and the MC have no dialogue. Technically it's the second scene with the love interest in that movie, but I was using it an example to write my introductory one. Or perhaps today's audience is not into those kinds of introductions anymore, and are use to more dialogue oriented scenes when introducing love interests. If that's so I could have them talk about the case, but not sure if I should since the whole story is about the case pretty much, and maybe should break away from it, for the introduction.

What do you think?

2. ShannonH

ShannonH Senior Member Contest Winner 2023

Ryan, how much, if any, of this mythical story are you planning to create and write yourself?

3. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

Got tricked again!
    Legend tells of the screenplay that one man tried to find with the help of many others, but when he found it he realised it was no longer his and that he was sharing it with the many who were guiding him. Then he went home, rather disappointed.
    Mate, we all hit road blocks, me lots of stupid ones but my first instinct is to sleep on it, then search it up, then ask family and then and only then do I go to wf. This place is great for help but it does get a little tiresome with the same questions being asked over and over again in slightly different words.

ShannonH and Simpson17866 like this.
  4. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Only three more threads and he'll hit 200.

5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

No to mention being asked by someone who hardly ever helps others - when I previously pointed that out Ryan posted on one other thread then went right back to asking the same or similar questions over and over again. - Narcissism is not an attractive trait.

A man who never gives credit pretty much always find that he doesn't have any... this also applies to help and critique

6. Phil Mitchell

Phil Mitchell Banned Contributor

Then you can't write. Period.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

On point (since its xmas) - for this story the love interest and more so the state of the MCs relationship with her after his rape will be quite a strong plot element in showing how the attack effects him and how that effects those around him - this is particularly important in screenplay where you have less access to the MCs thoughts than you do in a novel.

That said I have strong doubts about your ability to show this difficult and fraught, multifaceted, relationship in a credible way (not least because it would involve a lot of research which you patently haven't done) so you might be wise to avoid the 'love interest' entirely rather than write it as a two dimensional cardboard cut out

8. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

Okay thanks, but I think the love interest is important. As for doing research, I could try to find books on rape victims and how it affected them, if that works.

9. Phil Mitchell

Phil Mitchell Banned Contributor

Why? She getting raped too?

10. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

No, she is just important in the sense that she brings depth to the MC's consequences and decision making.

11. antlad

antlad Banned

If she is the 'moral compass' for the story; do you think she should be introduced early or late? It is usually a good idea to introduce direction earlier or later?

If this ever gets a green light, I will join the union and arbitrate for a piece of the credit using these forums as my evidence. I suggest all keep it in mind. :superlaugh:

She has to comfort him, he has been raped. You know, women nurture and all that.

NoGoodNobu likes this.
  12. ShannonH

ShannonH Senior Member Contest Winner 2023

Just shy of 200 threads.

It's becoming ludicrous now. Seriously Ryan, what progress have you made in your work? There's no issue in seeking help with with your piece, I've created three threads myself looking for input about various topics but I can also point to 47,000 words of progress. I've mentioned it before but it's an annoyance how much you try to take from the forum in terms of assistance and creative help versus the absolute minimum you give to us in return.

13. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

What I'm wondering (aside from new people who don't know any better) is why people keep responding to these threads. It's pretty safe (197 threads safe) to assume that Mr. Elder isn't going to heed the words of other members, so why bother?

I do enjoy reading some of the replies, though...:whistle:

14. big soft moose

Its like why people slow down to look at the humongous crash in the other carriageway

15. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

No. This would be like spending an entire day driving circles around a humongous crash and repeatedly telling the involved parties they were just in a car accident.

Sifunkle and NoGoodNobu like this.
  16. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

For one thing, I'd edge away from having a character who can be summed up as "love interest". You talk about cliches, but having a love interest whose only real role is "the Heart" seems pretty high up there on the cliche list to me. Often, they're flatter than paper and lack agency. They can usually be cut out and have their "Heart" role given to another existing character. If you don't want that, then expand the love interest's role.

17. antlad

antlad Banned

For me, responding to these threads is like a patch for a smoker, except it's a patch for a troll. It is fun to troll/help in the same post. Plus I love how the threads go in a bunch of directions at once because everyone picks one thing to comment on.

18. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

Okay thanks. I could expand the love interests role but not sure what to. I mean the MC is not going to want her to get involved in the crime plot since he cares for her safety, and since she will not get involved for her own safety either, cause of her character. Maybe I can find something for her. I thought the love interest who has a role in the plot, was actually more cliche though, cause I have seen that done a lot more often compared to one who is only the heart.

19. big soft moose

Here's an idea - bin the love interest, then through the pursuit the MC slowly falls for his rapist finally coming to realise that he loves her despite her disfigurement, then in the final scene he helps her escape the trap the cops have set, and they drive off into the sunset as the credits roll with the realisation that rape can be a great way to meet people after all :eek:

Wait , that was a joke

No seriously

No No No, Put your hands in the air and step away from your keyboard

Oh god what have I done :superlaugh:

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  20. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contributor

I'd pay to read that shiz. Could make for a pretty good dark humor story.

I'm getting off topic though. Ryan if you want us to better help you may I perhaps suggest you write a shorter piece maybe something around let's say 3,000 words long or something. Give us something to go off of. Doesn't need to be in any sort of format. Just write something so we can see where you're at with writing.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016