1. llieutenant

llieutenant New Member

i need some questions awnsered before i start the whole thing.

Discussion in 'Research' started by llieutenant, Sep 7, 2014.

first off this is my first story i want to write, so there will possobly be grammar mistakes and typos, so my first question: what is required to work on a freighter? like does it require some education courses? and my second question: how are immigrants without a visa or a green card cought by the immigration department?

now please dont judge my grammar :(

2. JamesBrown

JamesBrown Active Member

Have you not heard of google? I found the answer in 10 seconds using that.

3. llieutenant

llieutenant New Member

uggh yeah about that...you see i found it too but it was a bit unclear on what was neccesary, one site says that it needs to complete some course that includes engineering or mechanics or something and the other just says that you need vaccination certificate, so i just need simple awnsers if that is okay that is :unsure:

4. JamesBrown

JamesBrown Active Member

Certainly Sir, I will go to the library now and spend the rest of the day studying so as to be able to answer the questions to your satisfaction.

5. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

You will get better answers if you made your question more specific. When you ask such a general question, people assume you were simply too lazy to research. That might not be true, but you have to show that in the way you ask the question.

In any case I'm afraid I don't honestly know the answers to your questions. Truth is a lot of illegal immigrants manage to stay in a variety of countries. In the UK you do not need to carry ID around with you, so I assume it would be easier than say, in the Czech Republic, where by law you must be able to present a photo ID on request by the police at any point when you're out and about or they have the right to arrest you. Police likely raid places they believe are hiring or housing illegal immigrants and other times they're probably reported.

As an illegal immigrant, renting flats and finding work would be very difficult, meaning a lot of them might be abused by whoever hires them or else they might be homeless. If you're homeless, again the police are likely to check on you and find that you're an illegal immigrant. You may not know how to speak the local language or perhaps have very limited knowledge of it, which would give you away and cause the police to check on you if they already found you suspicious.

If you're homeless and/or jobless, that means you're poor and desperate, which also means you might commit crime and be caught. Or perhaps get drunk to escape your misery and that would get the attention of the police too - perhaps because you're rowdy or sleeping in a public place where you're not supposed to.

6. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

What job on a freighter? Inland waterways or oceanic? How does law enforcement find anyone they're looking for?

Research isn't always Right There. I've sometimes spent days finding answers to what I had first thought were simple questions.

7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Sorry, but I can't not judge your grammar. If you are not using spell check, you need to. It's a simple thing to do.

There is no reason you cannot capitalize 'I' and the first words in your sentences.

And third, your grammar will not improve unless you make an effort to improve it.

Wyr and JamesBrown like this.
  8. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

Google only yields so much. Maybe things like statistics (which you need to know how to read, often requiring a relatively high level education to be able to properly interpret them and put them into context), basic information etc. but anything deeper than a mere surface scratch... it's not nearly always there.
    My recommendation is seeking out people who work on freighters and border patrol. So far practically every professional I've interviewed for a story (soldiers, doctors, police officers, immigration workers, psyciatrists, martial arts instructors, scientists etc.) has been happy to share their knowhow, actually glad that an (would-be) author wants to get the details concerning their profession right. Most seem to appreciate that kind of enthusiasm for presenting a realistic portrayal of their work, and short of doing it yourself and gaining first-hand experience, talking to those who have that experience is one of the best ways to add realism to your manuscript.

I do recommend you use a spell-checker when writing posts here if you have trouble with grammar; it's just common courtesy among fellow writing enthusiasts.

Good luck!

9. llieutenant

llieutenant New Member

really? thank you i guess :)

10. llieutenant

llieutenant New Member

thank you you very much :D you saved me some time, the information you provided will aid my story alot.

Mckk likes this.
  11. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

I'm thinking no.

Mckk likes this.
  12. llieutenant

llieutenant New Member

that was actually sarcasm ;) to ya know...so that i feel less bad about myself, his words cut me heart like a dagger, if i wouldnt of used that sarcasm i probably would of fell into depression, would of tried to commit suicide by taking children vitamins....then...then i would of became a male prostitute somewhere in mexico :D

13. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

Touché my man.:agreed:

14. Mckk

My eyes! MY EYES!!!

15. Swiveltaffy

Swiveltaffy Contributor Contributor

It's called advice, bro; don't listen to it.

Mckk likes this.
  16. llieutenant

llieutenant New Member

Dislike me grammar? how about this?

u do not like not mai gramar?????! i not licke u 2 u gui bad .

Now did that cause internal bleeding to your brain? :)

17. Mckk

Nah, cus now you're just not making sense.

Anyway do make an effort with your grammar - this is a writers' forum so it really shouldn't be such a chore, right?

And here's a smiley just to be friendly :angle:

T.Trian likes this.
  18. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

Absolutely 100% correct.
    My martial arts sinsei always quoted his grand master who used to say,
    "Practice doesn't make perfect. Practice makes permanent. So, if you are practicing the wrong way, it will be encoded on your brain the wrong way."

In other words, if you are going to practice, make sure you are practicing the right things and the right way.

Mckk and T.Trian like this.
  19. elynne

elynne Active Member

I would agree with this--which is why I began deliberately writing informal communications (emails, forum posts, etc) without capitalizing the beginnings of sentences, while retaining capitals for my formal and fiction writing. it's been an interesting experiment, and I've learned a few things about perception of me via my writing, changing one's writing habits, and the definition of a personal writing style. also, I would argue that changing the rules up like that prevents inflexibility from setting in. of course, for any of that to be true, you must know and understand the rules that you're deliberately breaking--otherwise, you're just being lazy. :p

Mckk likes this.