1. stampman

stampman Member

Dovahkiin vs the hero of hyrule

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by stampman, Sep 19, 2015.

Being the nerd that I am, I am in love with both the Zelda and Elder Scrolls worlds. That being said, a debate has been smoldering ever since November 11th of 2011: Who would win in a fight, Dovahkiin, slayer of dragons and protector of the Mortal realm, or Link, the Hero of Time and defender of Hyrule? After doing my fair share of lore focused research and playing several Zelda games as well as Skyrim, I believe I have a verdict... Now, does this sound like a premise that anybody would be interested in reading as a full-blown short story?
    Edit-Note that I am not asking who would win. I don't want this to be an argument. Opinions on who should have won (and be civil, will you?) can be posted once I write the story. Dragonborn will be equipped with Mehrune's Razor, Savior's Hide, iron helmet gauntlets and boots, Auriel's shield, and Dawnbreaker. His appearance and physical status are as depicted in the artwork and trailer. Link will have his Hero's clothing as depicted in Twilight Princess due to the addition of chain mail, power bracelet, red ring (which due to the powers varying depending on the game, i chose to have it reduce physical blows like a fist or a shield bash), clawshot, two bombs which I have scaled down in size but not power for sake of some realism, Hylian Shield, Master Sword, and his bow with a quiver of 10 arrows, as well as the Gale Boomerang. He will be roughly 20 years old.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Did someone call me? (Big Elder Scrolls and Zelda fan here.)

I expect someone might think this fan-fiction, but sure I wouldn't mind reading it to see. Might even critique it if you desire.

3. stampman

stampman Member

It is fanfic, just with the end goal of deciding a winner based on evidence found in lore.

4. Inks

Inks Senior Member

Battles are really just a roll of the die. Though such match-ups seem strange because neither would have any reason to fight each other to me. I have seen this Superman vs Goku trope kicking around, but would two good heroes have an actual fight to the death knowing that they are both heroes who have no natural conflict? They would be more likely to share a meal and maybe do a friendly sparing match without any of their super-magical powers and gear.

Link the Writer likes this.
  5. stampman

stampman Member

The thing about Dovahkiin though, is that while he's a hero he's also willing to do what it takes to get the job done. I believe I've come up with a fairly good scenario for the two to duke it out. And it won't be to the death.

6. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

I have been a Zelda/Link fan since I can remember. I would definitely read a story on it. I can still remember my favorite memory of playing the original Legend of Zelda. Finding graveyard was the highlight of the game, even better then beating the game.

7. Greenwood

Greenwood Active Member

FUS-RO....:DInteresting. Being the ES geek that I am, I can definitely appreciate this. I'm not really one for these crossover type of stories and setups such as Deadliest Warrior (sigh, so lame) as I find that it is unfair and quite obsolete to pit two warriors against each other who developed their specific skills and gear due to totally different backgrounds and factors and who would have never encountered each other anyway.

My main concern may be a bit of a party-pooper, but I am always one that needs some believable background to each scene. As it is highly unlikely that there will be any way to somehow merge the universes of Tamriel and Hyrule together in a way that makes sense, I fear that I will go into this quite biased. Don't get me wrong, I am sure the quality of the writing will be good, it's just that I don't like these kind of crossovers. That's just me venting my opinion though.

Seeing how it's ES related I would be more than willing to read this once you finish it. Oh, and do keep in mind that Mehrune's Razor has a 1.98% chance of killing instantly:D

8. stampman

stampman Member

I'm going by lore rules. Game mechanics are there to prevent unfair advantages to the player. So Link has full access to the Triforce of Courage, and Dragonborn has no shout cool down. Also, as this is being treated as "realistic", one good strike and the other is down. In real life, or in lore terms, there are no health bars, no potions. If Link strikes Dovahkiin in the neck, his head will in fact roll. Or at the least, chop in quite a bit. And I do think I have a fairly decent way of crossing the worlds. Both ES and LZ have pretty big worlds with multiple planes of existence and recognize that other universes are out there. So, what if a certain daedric prince wanted to pit the strongest mortals of two "realms" against one another? This matchup is meant to test them as warriors with their respective skill sets without huge reliance on outside game changers. Notice I didn't give Link Majora's Mask or the Fierce Deity mask, nor did I give Dragonborn all daedric armor and weapons max leveled and all skill trees. Yes he can use basic fire ice and spark, but only as a base wielder. He is primarily a warrior specialized in one handed but with some skill in the other branches, like base level stealth, destruction, archery, etc.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
    Greenwood likes this.
  9. Theoneandonly99

Theoneandonly99 Member

Honestly have almost no idea about the Zelda universe, but I have played quite a fair bit of Skyrim. Since you did say that the Dragonborn is only equipped with (gamer languange) "mid-game" equipment, even some early game ones (gauntlets and other stuff), I'd just like to point out that from what I remember, midgame Dragonborn is rather mediocre, nothing special amongst other beings in Tamriel aside from shouts. Don't know about Zelda though.

However, since he has no shout cooldown... Don't you think that's too unfair? He could just spam "Slow time." Even Fus Ro Da spam would be enough.

10. stampman

stampman Member

I'm treating them based on their respective lore. In TES lore, there is no limit to shouting. However,, with that being said, I will not be having him spam shouts, shouting only when needed. And the daedric artifacts were dumbed down a bit for gameplay, like in lore, Mehrune's razor doesn't have just a percent chance of killing it'd target in one hit. If you cut somebody, even just a knick, they will die.

11. Theoneandonly99

Theoneandonly99 Member

Don't get me wrong, I understand what you're trying to go for. It's just that, since you want the fights to rather play out "realistically" wouldn't that mean you'd be using your shouts pretty often? I mean if I suddenly woke up as the Dovahkiin with some handy shouts at my disposal, I'd be spamming them if Link comes for my head.

12. stampman

stampman Member

That amount of shouting can also be detrimental to the environment. Remember when the greybeards shouted and shook all of Tamriel? If dragonborn where to shout repeatedly with his full power, he would split Nirn in two. Besides, many of his shouts are pretty lethal, and they aren't necessarily going in for the kill. And for Link's triforce, although every game has a different affect, I'm using the base of "gives courage to the wielder and protects from dark magic" so shouts like Fear and any super lethal shouts, is Drain Vitality or Marked for Death, wouldn't be effective. I'm not saying they couldn't be, I'm just doing it based on one vaguely defined aspect of the triforce. You could argue that it gives Link his superhuman speed or strength and it would be hard to dispute.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  13. stampman

stampman Member

And let us not forget the epic fight between Vaahlok and Miraak, which tore solstheim away from the main continent. And they were just priests.

14. Theoneandonly99

Theoneandonly99 Member

Fair point. But wouldn't it be more epic if the battle would tear some lands apart? :) Your project sounds promising. Good luck with it