1. 8Bit Bob

8Bit Bob Here ;) Contributor

Weirdest calls/texts/voicemails you've received?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 8Bit Bob, Aug 2, 2018.

I'll start off with one: I got a voicemail a couple of weeks ago from an older sounding man saying he was "one of [my] lovers" and he had "called [me] four times" (this was the first that number had called my phone). He then proceeded to say something I couldn't understand and ended with "I love you". I blocked the number, as it was obviously a mis-dial, and forgot about it. Then, a few days ago I checked the voicemails I had from blocked numbers and he had left another one. It was completely unintelligible and distorted, I don't even know if anyone was talking in it o_O

Anyway, what are some weird phone calls, texts, or voicemails you have received?

Cave Troll likes this.
  2. Zerotonin

Zerotonin Serotonin machine broke

I watched this weird video last Thursday, and then got a phone call from some chick saying I had seven days to live. Now my TV won't stop leaking.

3. 8Bit Bob

I assume this is a reference to Unfriended? Idk, I've never watched it :p

4. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

I was ones offered a job through a voice mail - or well, someone wanting me to call up because they wanted me to work for them.

Only problem it was painfully obvious they didn't look for me and the job was out of my field so I couldn't call them up and try my luck.

I don't do weird and scary calls, text and voice mails. I'd kill my phone if that ever happened!

8Bit Bob likes this.
  5. Zerotonin

The post pretty much details the whole plot of the movie The Ring. I'm finding fewer and fewer people have seen this movie as time passes. A shame, it was actually pretty good.

6. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

At least with the American re-make I think more or less "everyone" seen it.

There was this commercial with a monkey based on The Ring that still gives me nightmares... can't remember much of the movie - but that commercial... won't be able to sleep tonight again.

7. 8Bit Bob

I've heard of it, but never watched it (although now I rather want to). It honestly sounds a lot like the plot to that new movie Unfriended, which I refuse to watch because it looks awful :p

Zerotonin likes this.
  8. Zerotonin

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest of that movie ripped it off. While some horror movies can be extremely inventive and creative, a large majority of the genre is just a knock-off of a knock-off of a knock-off.

8Bit Bob likes this.
  9. 8Bit Bob

Pretty much :bigmeh:

10. 8Bit Bob

I just realized that I have a custom voicemail greeting, so you'd think the guy would've heard it and realized he had the wrong number...? I honestly don't eve know at this point :confused:

flawed personality likes this.
  11. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    This makes me think I should make a whole bunch of non-threatening but weird phone calls when I'm back home and have my annual two-week burner phone.

"Yeah, honey, it's Bill. I got the badminton rackets, but forgot the Crisco and socket wrenches, can you pick them up on your way home. I'll be waiting in the attic...." <click>

Cave Troll, 8Bit Bob and Spencer1990 like this.
  12. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I don’t know if this is relevant, but occasionally, I send this picture to people I haven’t spoken to in years, under the assumption that they no longer have my number.

Some truly interesting exchanges have come to life after this.

E50688E9-0001-4AD9-8A95-5FC93C47AB33.jpeg

KaTrian, 8Bit Bob and Iain Aschendale like this.
  13. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

The most effed up ones I've ever "received" are work-related. I get tasked with translating text message extraction files every once in a while. People are stupid, like really, really stupid.

A word of warning to any of you out there who thinks you're getting away with anything via text or Messenger or any other similar platform: NOTHING IS EVER DELETED. EVER.

If you hit SEND, it's there forever, no matter what you do or think you've done from your side, so think twice.

14. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

A few jobs ago my predecessor in the role was a young woman, who was clearly a 'popular' girl ....I got lots of booty call text messages and voicemails from young men who were destined for disappointment ....ignoring them didn't work so I started texting back saying I was her boyfriend and who is this anyway...

Cave Troll, Shenanigator and 8Bit Bob like this.
  15. Edgelordess

Edgelordess Member

I had a guy message me on OKCupid once. His opening message included his phone number. So I decided to use a ghost text app to mess with him and I claimed I was a Satanic Cult leader and I got his application and wanted to do an interview with him. He was so confused and I would of kept up this game for a long ass time but you had to pay after the third or fourth message. :(

More stories like this to come. I have lots of these stories.

16. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

My work number had apparently belonged to some older guy before it was issued to me, so I still receive calls from his friends - I assume, they've all been old fogeys - and once from a doctor. Then I got a text message basically inviting me to some agriculture club's (??) annual meeting. I could've declined, I suppose, or even stopped by to see what's what but I chose to ignore it. Maybe next year!

flawed personality and 8Bit Bob like this.
  17. Edgelordess

Edgelordess Member

I had one guy text me (my phone number this time). A stranger. The conversation we had went something like this.
    Guy: Heeeeey, sweet thing. Its yo boy Thomas (psydonuem)
    Me: Wrong number.
    Thomas: How do you know?
    (I don't respond for five minutes.)
    (Thomas sends me a risque picture of himself. He wasn't nude, but he was shirtless and the pose was provactive)
    Me: Thanks, I'm gonna send this picture to all my friends. I'm sure they'd want to date you. But sadly you are not my type.
    Thomas: Does that mean your breaking up with me?
    Me: Yes. We were never dating anyway.
    Thomas: :(

18. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

The number of my first apartment in L.A. was one digit off from a popular store in the mall, so we got a lot of wrong numbers. Thing is, people who think they're calling a store pay no attention when you tell them they have the wrong number, and if you just hang up, they call back, angry this time. So we'd handle them like this:

Me: Hello?

Caller: Yes, do you have the blue toddler sweater that was in the Sunday ad?

Me; No, we do not.

Caller: When do you expect it in?

Me: Never. Call [correct number of the store they were trying to reach] instead. They should have it.

19. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Once I received a series of calls from an elderly woman who would constantly ask me, “Is this Mike?” No matter how many times I told her that I wasn’t Mike and she had the wrong number, she would constantly call me again.

Another time, I got a series of texts from a very angry woman who mistook my phone number for her ex’s and went on rants about how he betrayed her, used her, etc. I took pity, wanting to just let her vent out her rage until I realized it wasn’t going to help her. I had to politely text her back to say that I wasn’t her ex and that I hope things got better for her.

20. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    [​IMG]

21. Edgelordess

Edgelordess Member

I had my mom butt dial me ten times in five minutes. It was scary becuase at the time she was in the ER for a blood clot.

22. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

Once a guy called me. And despite my deep voice, he was absolutely adamant that I was Miss Gardiner, the old lady that had died 10 or so years before I even moved into that flat.

I told him it wasn't me.

Then he said he was her grandson and he was a gay man with 'interest' in me. I am not gay... He did not understand....

I looked up the number he called from pakistan... Which left me utterly confused.

Never heard from him again.

23. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Oh God, reminds me of the people I friended on Facebook because I thought they were nice, and the first thing they want to know is if I'm gay.

24. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Thanks to a pushy dude and a, most likely, nervous gal who I'll call "Cindy" I received an onslaught of dick pics and angry texts from a guy. We'll call him Brad. Brad's first message was a dick pic with the caption: "ths is wut u miss toonihgt bb." Then he kept sending text after text with pictures of his six pack and more dick pics than your average Tinder 10/10 probably gets on the weekend. Brad started getting angry when "Cindy" wouldn't reply, so he sent ALL CAPS messages with threats and such. All of this at 4 to 6 in the morning.

I didn't notice the messages until I woke up, since I keep my phone on silent-all at night. Ended up blocking the dude and thanking Cindy for an early morning laugh.

25. Shnette

Shnette Active Member

1. Calls from dipshits of the year: People who call and leave a voice mail admitting they don't know who they dialed.
    2. At an old receptionist job, I was copied on an email from one of the clients. I guess he was using auto-text because somehow the word "homosexual" was in one of his sentences. I had no idea what he was trying to say and it took him at least 15 min to send a "please disregard" follow up message to everyone. Needless to say, no one spoke of it.
    3. Had a guy mistakenly call my number (I think) and then tried to turn the call into phone sex.