1. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

Things to Torture Us

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by J.P.Clyde, Jul 14, 2011.

Well a certain thread got me thinking on this thread. Ever had those memories were you were terribly frightened of some sort of toy. That's right. This thread is dedicated to the toys that scared the living business out of you. [btw, this memory just came to me when I saw this one word so I'm trying to write it as quickly as I can remember. ha.]

I'll begin this twisted tale of twisted toys, with Firby. I was a normal child. I liked things like Disney's Black Cauldron and watching Doctor Who with my dad. Watched him play violent video games too, I mean Quake at the time was pretty gorey stuff.

But I digress. One faithful evening I watched Toy Story. Now I know this is weird, this is the kid who watches dad play Quake, and watches Tales of Crypt, was afraid of Toy Story.

Well it was bed time. And I went to bed. Then at night I hear the sounds of Firby. All it said was "Firby" three times. And I guess Toy Story frightened to me the point where I'm on my knees begging to the Firby gods. "Please no I didn't mean to lock you away in the closet" and other things.

Long story short. The household was awoken to a nine year old screaming at the top of his lungs to appease Furby's paranoia.

2. CottonCandi

CottonCandi Active Member

LOL. Once I watched this movie about these little creatures, they were so cute but at night would suck the air from the kids lungs, lol I wish I could remember what movie it was. Anyway, at night I would sleep with my face in the pillow so they couldn't such the air out of my lungs, lol

3. J.P.Clyde

Personally, no matter how frightened I would have been. I can't sleep with pillows on my face. I can't breath that way.

4. Mobhit

Mobhit New Member

Sounds sorta like Cats Eye!

So Mine wasn't a movie, but what the heck!

I was sitting in the family room down stairs when I heard it. *thump thump* *thump thump* Oh yeah it was the heart beat coming from now where. I sat mystified for minutes and mystery turned to fright. What hell was making this heart beat noise. *thump thump*. Not a soul in the house.

I went mad searching the upstairs (once I got the courage up). I could hear it all over the house. So Instantly I'm thinking what did I do for this twisted "Tell Tale Heart"?.

One hour of *thump thump* I tracked the source!!

For Christmas my niece got this Care Bear thing with a beating heart. It was buried at the bottom of the toy chest and something kept triggering it. It was positioned just right to hit the main beam and shoot the sound around the house!

Needless to say Toy is in the Attic!, now if I could just figure out what was triggering it!

5. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I've never had this experience, but when my oldest was little, Monsters Inc had just come out, and his biological father thought it'd be good to buy it for him and let him watch it. Caused my son to be terrified of his closet door being open as he had a big teddy bear in there that was bright blue. I'd have to put a chair infront of the door every night to make sure that Sully and Randal weren't going to come out of the closet in the night and we also had to get rid of the teddy bear. :(

Actually, not true! I remember when I watched The Gremlins... I had a little teddy that looked similar to one of them and he lived on the end of my bed. I got him cause he looked different and lonely in the shop. Anyways, a week after watching The Gremlins, I saw my teddy moving on the end of my bed. I freaked out in a major way and ran from my room screaming, waking everyone in the house. When my parents calmed me down, to find out what was wrong, they found that the reason it moved was because my cat was in there. It freaked me out as I thought my teddy was turning into a Gremlin. I couldn't sleep with him in my room anymore and had to find him a new home with a family friend. haha!

6. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

I remember getting really scared of the Watership Downs movie....that part with the blood running down the hill was gruesome...Also rabbits ripping eachother apart doesn't go down well when your like 12. Night of the Living Dummy also scared me shitless. One of my mates had to see a psychiatrist because of that show.

7. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Oh my god, Night of the Living Dummy did it for me too! :eek: Goosebumps didn't scare me except for those ones.

8. Daydream

Yeh same...it was just that one. It's also why I refuse to ever watch Chucky and The Bride of Chucky...

But have you seen Watership Downs? Its really gruesome for a childrens movie..

9. J.P.Clyde

Funny. Movies like the Black Cauldron and Watership Down never scared me.

It was Toy Story, as proven up there. Trying to appease some Furby god. hahaa.

10. Gigi_GNR

Oh god, FURBIES. :eek: Why oh why did someone think it was okay to invent and sell those to children?

11. J.P.Clyde

That's what my first post acknowledges. They tortured me. Tortured me. lol for one night.

12. Gigi_GNR

I had a few as a kid. Looking back I wonder why...

13. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

I have two that I was extremely scared of when I were little.

My dad had a Godzilla toy that walked and growled, and I only have a little memory of it, but my parents told me that I would always cry and run away from it.

I also had a toy that I wanted nothing to do with. It was a clown (I hate clowns) that played music when you turned the key and its head would move back and forth. I remember when I got older, I found it and picked it up, once realizing what it was, I immediately dropped it and left the room.

14. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

Haha, I had quite a few toys when I was little, and thank goodness, none of them freaked me out.

But there was this toy my little sister got that scared my whole family. It was an interactive Mr. Potato Head game where you could arrange the pieces to make Mr. Potato on an LCD screen. Well it just so happened that it could also talk. Can you guess what happened when those batteries began to drain?

Yup, we began to hear a muffled voice coming from our attic one night, right around midnight. It absolutely freaked my mom out, so she had my dad go to the attic with a bat or something. And he listened around, then finally started ruffling through a toychest, then yanked out the batteries from the back compartment.

Soo, soo funny...

EDIT: Did anyone else watch Nickelodeon's, "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" I was like six, and with my mom not watching me, I took it upon myself to watch it one night. Well, I don't know how any of the other episodes went, but the one I watched scared the crap out of me. And I have no idea why I watched it till the end...I had to sleep with a night-light on for months after that or sleep with my pillow or blanket over my head. Not good. Especially when it was the beginning of summer.

15. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

I never owned a furby, but I have always been tickled by the idea of getting two and teaching them to curse at each other since they could learn new words and respond. :D

Furby 1: You are an ugly *bleep bleep*!
    Furby 2: Shut up you *bleep bleep bleep*!
    Furby 1: No, *bleep* you!
    Furby 2: *Bleep* you!

16. Marranda

Marranda New Member

My youngest sister, Erika, had a clown toy like that, and when you wound it up, its head would move in slow circles. FREAKED. ME. OUT! Gah! Just got goosebumps thinking about that aweful toy!

My younger sister, Katrina, one year got this plastic toy doll that came with its own walker. The doll sat in this walker and its feet connected to the bottom of it so that when you turn the walker on and move it (By remote), the feet moved, (it was supposed to make it look like the doll was making the walker Walk instead of the remote controlled wheels underneath it.) and it talked. The walker, not the doll.
    Well time goes by, the doll and remote both are long lost, and no one could remember the last time the batteries were replaced in the doll's walker. But my sisters still used the walker to cart around other toys and so it usually got left out in random places throughout the house. One day I'm home from school early (I think I'm about 7), and no one else was home. I called my mom to tell her I'd be at a friends house. About to leave, I was about 10 feet from the front door when the damned walker (Unfortunately between me and the front door) starts MOVING and TALKING all by itself!
    "Momma, momma!" *Giggle giggle* "Play with me!"
    I think I jumped about 5 feet in the air and sprinted out the back door.
    I didn't get home until after my parents and sisters got home because I was too scared there was a ghost making the toy do things or something. I told my mom about it and she immediately picked up the walker and put it in the garbage outside. Apparently she wasn't a fan of spooky toys either.

17. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I don't think any toy scared me that much, not that I can remember anyway. But I knew someone who was scared of trolls, you know those little plastic trolls with hair? Yeah, those. I don't know why though.

18. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

What's so scary about Furbies? :D

[​IMG]

(sorry... I'll go sit in a the corner now and think about what I've done...) :redface:

19. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

The movie Matilda scared the living daylight out of me. Honestly... there are some really horrible scenes in there. There is one where a teacher swings a little girl by her pigtails off the ground and launches her into a field... it was intended to be painful and the girl was pretty scarred up. There is another where as punishment bad students were placed inside a chamber shaped and sized as a tomb that had all the spikes on the inside that could kill you. (I just looked it up.. it is called an iron maiden.) Not to mention that Matilda's parents are openly abusive to each other and to their daughter...

Why is that okay for children to watch? Why is it rated PG? And everyone told me that I looked like Matilda when I was a little girl. My god. I was scared for the longest time that the principal would find me and be convinced that I was Matilda and that she'd try to kill me too.

The Cabbage Patch dolls always freaked me the heck out too. Although nothing was quite as twisted as the Furby. (Other than the movie Matilda.)

20. Daydream

Anyone remember Gremlins? Man they were scary....

21. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I never had any toys that scared me. The Jurassic Park dinos I collected were incredibley awesome as far as I was concerned. I always enjoyed taking my T-Rex and shoving action figures (action figures like Darth Vader, Draco Malfoy, etc.) down its throat, then pulling them out through a slit in the stomach. The dinos were "summoned creatures" for the good guys like Luke Skywalker and Harry Potter. Yeah, fun times. :>

Of course, there was this one antique doll that scared the crap out of me. So ghostly white, the eyes that seemed to stare into your soul...The fact this doll was missing a foot and half of a hand didn't help at all. I had nightmares that this doll became animate and would, ever so slowly, crawl toward me with a demonic grin on its face. I would be in bed, paralyzed with fear as this monster crawled closer...and closer...and closer.

Some of those nightmares had me running to the bathroom and slamming the door shut. However, moments later, the door would creak open and the ghostly, mutilated hand of the doll would stick back in.

:(

*goes to hide in a corner*

Why the crap were those dolls popular 100 years ago!?

22. J.P.Clyde

I don't mind that actually.

It was really the voice that was unsettling.

23. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

My older brother was a terrible babysitter. That's why I was allowed to watch the Shining, It, etc as a small child. Ironically, those movies never bothered me at all. I loved horror movies, and didn't mind gore. You know what I was afraid of? The Cookie Monster! He's F**king terrifying! I had a Sesame Street book as a child and it said the Cookie Monster also ate meat. So naturally I thought they meant children apparently. My pink dress-wearing pig named Sir Fredrick had to protect me at night.

24. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I never seen any Furbies movie. Thought they were just dumb kid movies about talking bird-dolls. To my mind, they could never match the awesomeness of Woody and Buzz.

25. Corbyn

Corbyn Lost in my own head Supporter Contributor

pink dress wearing pig??? o.0

I'm not good with horror movies. I'm the kinda person who hides their face behind hands. Even if it's not really all that scary. It's the creepy feeling I get that freaks me out more than the movies. When I was a little girl my cousin made us watch Pet Cemetery. I was maybe four or five. It scared the heck outta me. I used to crawl in behind my moms bed to sleep at night between it and the wall. Which scared her because I wasn't in bed.