1. CosmicMeatballs

CosmicMeatballs Banned

Why Hello there, Fellow Writers!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CosmicMeatballs, Jun 13, 2009.

Hey Guys,

My name is Dario Lentini, I am 15 years old and I find a passion in writting. I share a common interest in writting, like many of you on these forums. Many say: "Wow! A 15 Year old boy who likes to write. That's odd". My teacher even told me that its rare to find a boy of my age with a passion in writting. But yes, you guys better believe it! :p I am new to these forums obviously, and I just hope that I am able to rely on other for help on my work. But please, guys, keep in mind. I am an amateur, I am aware of that. If I post a piece that I am working on, don't be to hard on me. I love to write and I feel that I am an okay writer. If I see someone flaming a story that I am working on, I will get easily offended and it will just ruin me.

So with that, I would like to say Hello to all of you, and I look forward to discussing with you guys on these forums.

2. Anir

Anir New Member

In a place where the forces of space and time have
    Hi Dario. I'm 16 and I also have a passion for writing. What do you like to write? Bear in mind that many of these people will give constructive criticisms, which is sometimes hard to hear, especially if you think that they are flaming your story. Most of the time they aren't. Anyway, welcome, and hey! You live in Florida? Awesome, I used to live there!

3. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Hi Dario, welcome to the forums :) One thing to keep in mind once you've become more familiar with the review room and are ready to post your own material: the people who comment on your work are trying to help you improve- it's not always fun, but giving and receiving critiques can play a big part in improving your writing.

4. CosmicMeatballs

CosmicMeatballs Banned

Wow! I love the feeling of warmth and welcome from you guys. I appreciate all the tips! I'd love to here some more. And I like to write Mystery/Suspense/Horror type stories. And I also accept the constructive criticism, I just don't wan't people to go insulting my work just to be (pardon my french) a**holes. :p

Thanks Guys, I'ma take a look at the forums, please feel free to post more tips that I can use to my advantage on these forums.

5. Sonshine

Sonshine New Member

Welcome aboard Cosmic! Don't sweat bein a newbie, there's a good deal of us who are, me included. We all learn together. :)

6. Brightsmiles

Brightsmiles New Member

Somewhere between the rabbit hole and wonderland.
    welcome to the board!

don't be too shy - most of us (*most*) are amatuers in one way or another - wouldn't be here if we weren't! i'm sure you'll do great - or learn to ;D

best of luck with it!

7. CosmicMeatballs

CosmicMeatballs Banned

Thanks Sonshine and Brightsmiles!

I like to write stories, and I always picture my novels as movies and would love to see one turn into a movie. Can anyone tell me the basics in writting a scripts? Is writting scripts fun? The same as writting a novel?

Thanks guys!

8. Sonshine

Sonshine New Member

You're welcome!

Let me give you a little tip, you wanna 'write' scripts, not 'writte' them. ;) Can't be of much help with the script writing as I don't do scripts or novels for that matter. There is a script section down in the review room that might be helpful to you though, so look there!

9. CosmicMeatballs

CosmicMeatballs Banned

Oh I apologize for that grammatical error.

And I saw the Script section in the review room. Seems like a neat and helpful tool. I will be visitng that tomorrow, I'm really tired right now and its 3 AM where I am. :p

So Yes. Thank you guys for helping me feel warm and welcome into your environment. It's cool to know that you have others like you to talk to and to help you with writing.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Dario, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Rest assured, flaming is against the forum rules. However, critics will not pull punches when it comes to your writing; not to discourage you, but to help as much as possible.

But posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i mentor many aspiring screenwriters, so if you want help learning how, drop me a line any time... i can also send you a format guide and tips from the pros on all aspects of the medium...

love and hugs, maia