1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Westminster Attack

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Link the Writer, Mar 22, 2017.

So I go to my YouTube feed and find out something horrid had happened in the UK involving Westminster and Parliament. What's going on over there? If anyone here is around that region, I dearly hope you all are safe. :eek: And catch the pricks responsible, of course. >:[

2. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Contributor Contributor

Apparently there were two attacks--someone drove a car into a crowd, killing at least 1 and injuring 10. Around the same time someone stabbed a police officer and was subsequently shot. Unclear if that was the same person who drove the car, and I also can't seem to find if either the stabbed officer or the assailant are dead or just injured.

Police think it's terrorism related, and note that today is the anniversary of the Brussels bombings that killed 32.

Megalith likes this.
  3. plothog

plothog Contributor Contributor

From what I've read it's all one incident.
    The man drove along Westminster Bridge driving into pedestrians, crashed into railings outside Houses of Parliament. Got out car, ran into parliament grounds, stabbed police officer and was shot.
    The police officer has died, assailant still alive from what I can tell.
    1 woman died from being hit by the car, plus 10 or so injured.

Megalith likes this.
  4. plothog

plothog Contributor Contributor

According to live updates on BBC, casualty count now at 4 dead and over 20 injured :(

5. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Jesus Christ. :(

My heart goes out to you UKers.

6. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

Feels weird to say 'it could have been worse' over something like this, but if you've got someone actively trying to drive people down on Westminster Bridge, it really could have been. Small mercies, I guess.

7. big soft moose

big soft moose The Moderating Moose Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

London has seen a lot worse ... there were 124 terrorist attacks carried out in london by the IRA (and associated groups) between 1970 and present day, including a bomb attack on the houses of parliament and an MP being shot dead in its car park. It'd take a lot more than some deluded halfwit with a car and a knife to intimodate the average londoner

8. big soft moose

big soft moose The Moderating Moose Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

There is been another attack lately - three fuckwits with a van and machetes, and of course the manchester bombing of the Ariana Grande concert - However the american news media seem to be reporting Britain as a country on its knees , scared to go out ... this is bollocks

As i said above The IRA tried it, the Luffwaffe tried it.... we aint scared of a few idiots with knives and cars

In the most recent attack a guy called Roy Larner took on all three terrorists single handedly with his bare fists.... apparently they shouted Allah Akbar and he shouted back "Fuck you. I'm Millwall" (for those that don't know Millwall are a london football club ... their fans are notorious for being hard cases).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/london-bridge-terror-attack-fk-fuck-you-im-millwall-hero-roy-larner-football-fan-lion-of-london-a7775246.html

On our knees ? Fuck off

Lifeline and BayView like this.
  9. Wreybies

Wreybies Arroz Con Admin Operations Manager Staff Supporter Contributor

And just so you know, many of us here are of the same opinion as regards how the U.S. media is glomming onto this, and worse, the way King Donald Von Kleinerschwanz is prostituting the information to his advantage. It's exhausting.

10. big soft moose

I liked the response for Sadiq Khans people to the Donald

"“[The mayor] has more important things to do than respond to Donald Trump’s ill-informed tweet that deliberately takes out of context his remarks urging Londoners not to be alarmed when they saw more police — including armed officers — on the streets.”

and thats it, hes just not engaging with Thumper beyond that.

Wreybies likes this.
  11. big soft moose

Also I'd clarify for the americans reading this that all the stuff on Fox about no go areas and the police needing permission from muslim sharia councils to enter areas of British cities, and so forth is a pile of unmitigated bogwank.

The only bit that's remotely true is that some Muslim communities (particularly the Somalis) practice Sharia law for the resolution of civil disputes - but it doesn't supercede British law, nor is anyone who is not Muslim subject to it.

How a news channel can make up such complete toss and report it without checking their facts is beyond me

12. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

I kinda assumed Fox had long ago given up any pretence at being a news channel. They're an entertainment station loosely based on politics.

13. big soft moose

well yeah, but a fair few murricans still believe the toss they come out with.....

14. Wreybies

Wreybies Arroz Con Admin Operations Manager Staff Supporter Contributor

I hate how apologist my participation in this thread seems, but, again, just to say it... Most of us over here know about this too. We held them to task concerning the No-Go-Zone Kerfuffle after the world stopped, looked at us, and let out a global bark of unrestrained laughter, which Faux News quickly spun into a "Libs are Big Fate Meanies!" narrative. They recanted on the stupid allegation of no-go-zones and anyone who still believes their lie does so willfully.

PS: I miss the days of Walter Cronkite. I would say that news, in general, in America, has become a whore, but I have too much respect for sex workers to make that comparison.

15. ShannonH

ShannonH Member Supporter

Time to start arming the rank and file police?

Every Constable in Northern Ireland is armed, for obvious reason, without much issue.

16. big soft moose

the police say they don't want that .... to be fair these arseholes are only carrying knives for the most part... a can of CS gas and a tactical batton beats a knife in most cases....

17. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Staff Supporter Contributor

I guess it's nice if the police still have the option.

I know my country is small in comparison to the UK, but our cops shoot very rarely despite always carrying, and it's not like they don't have to deal with knife-wielding idiots. This is Finland. That's basically our national past time. We don't need terrorists to fill that void.

But there have been situations where a firearm has proven to be a safer, justified option if the cop hasn't been able to approach an armed individual. We have a lot of firearms per capita in this country, so you need a counter for that threat too.

18. big soft moose

Our cops sometimes carry tasers too . As I understand it the reason the police say they don't want to be armed is a) lack of investment in training, an b) lack of confidence that they won't be hung out to dry if the use lethal force.

Shadowfax likes this.
  19. big soft moose

I see the american new meedya are at it again , so for all mericans reading this - West london, its just a fire, not a terrorist incident.... as near as the fire brigade can tell it was caused by a fridge malfunctioning ..... also the shooting in Munich appears to be crime not terrorism ( seriously the meedya need to chill the fuck out ... the world does not revolve arround IS )