1. Cerrus

Cerrus New Member

Johnny Got His Gun

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Cerrus, Mar 2, 2011.

Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody had read the book "Johnny Got His Gun". If so please tell me if it's any good or not. Also please state whether it has any graphic details such as blood and gore. I know I've heard a lot of good reviews on sites like Amazon, but I'm just not sure.

2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

It's one of my favorites. One of the few books to scare me deeply, and personally, and ... it made me cry too. If I can say that and still keep some of my manhood. I remember buying it and first reading it so fondly too. I found out about it because of Metallica - and that's the same way I got into Hemmingway to be honest - so I bought it from Amazon (it was £25 at the time, it was rare back then) and it's now so beat I need to get a new copy.

3. Cerrus

Cerrus New Member

Yea I found out about it by mettalica too :p. Is there any, I guess "adult" stuff in it though? Because I know it's about a guys who gets his bits and pieces scattered about so I'm just unsure. My parents didn't let me read one other book because of some adult themes in it.

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'adult', but it's not a children's book. It has if I remember correctly a flashback which discusses a sexual encounter, but it just talks about it, it does not describe it. You have to remember this was written in the 1930s or 1940s; when I think Lady Chatterly's Lover was still banned for 'inappropriate language'.

Either way, I'm not going to suggest anything - though I have a certain strong dislike of parental censorship for reasons I'm not going to discus over the internet - so my advice is if you want to read it then read it. But remember, the slight adult theme: it's basically about a young guy in his twenties who goes to fight in a world war.

What really hits you hard though is the psychological, and emotional impact the book has. I don't think I'll ever forget it.