1. Mr Vampyre

Mr Vampyre New Member

Story:Review ratio + amended work

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Mr Vampyre, Jan 1, 2009.

I wanted to ask how I can keep track of my own story:review ratio. At the moment I think we're allowed to post one story per two reviews.

Also, does adding a second draft to a post you've made count as 'a story' or is the 'story' just the new thread? (so in my story I wrote on Xmas, I added a 2nd draft, does this mean I've "used" 4 reviews up?)

Ta

2. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

I think--now don't quote me exactly on this, that if you are doing constructive reviews and you if you do them regularly--like 2 or 3 a week, or hopefully more and don't get aggressive with the story posting you will be alright. Doing reviews helps you as much or more than the person you give it to.

I don't think that amending your story and resubmitting it in the original thread changes the ratio as it isn't a different story in a new thread.

3. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

it only requires more reviews if there is a new thread; a revised version in the old thread is perfectly fine. But like garmar says, you should really be doing somewhat regular reviews regardless of story count. The limit is there to get a minimum of fairness for people kind enough to give reviews, but it is much more appreciated if you don't strive to hold exactly to the ratio.

4. Mr Vampyre

Mr Vampyre New Member

Oh of course. I think I reviewed about 4 or 5 pieces of work before I posted something of my own. I was just curious of keeping track :)

5. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

In your profile page, click statistics and there will be two links:

Find all posts by Mr Vampyre.

Find all threads started by Mr Vampyre.

You can find the ratio there by counting your reviews then counting the threads started that are your stories. But it would probably be easier to do a review or two. :D

6. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

Then ditto garmar. I'm afraid that's the best we've got. Apologies on both counts.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This is really a site issue, not about critiquing in general. But the purpose of the ratio is to try to set a way to measure whether someone is really taking part in the Review Room workshop, or just trying to get feedback without really taking an active part.

Personally, I don't go around counting posts except if I see someone who is clearly only taking, and not contributing. For best results, you should seek opportunities to review and thereby improve your critical eye. It's a major pain to count reviews vs. new threads, but it's not fair for some members to post item after item while only "meeting the quota" with a couple lazy comments here and there.

Formally speaking, everything pertaining to a single piece of writing shouild be in the same thread. This encourages members to post revisions based on received comments, and also can show improvement in the initial versions one subsequent segments. The downside is that some members will simply post "serials", ignoring feedback just to get more attention for the story. Eventually other members abandon these attention hogs, too, so I don't have to step in most of the time.

I look more at effort than at achievment in terms of constructive critiques. If someone is just trying to make quota, it's damned obvious, and I give no leniency. But if someone is trying, but missing the mark, I try to make suggestions instead to help them sharpen their critiques.

I hope this clarifies not only how the reviewing requirement is measured, but also why.

8. Mr Vampyre

Mr Vampyre New Member

I'm being really honest and not sarcastic at all, but I did wonder if you people had a spreadsheet or something that you updated.

I told you. I suffer from intense paranoia... (well, no I don't; they really are out to get me!)

Ta everyone.