1. shiftervii

shiftervii New Member

What are some of the features that can help a writer write better online?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by shiftervii, Jan 7, 2016.

Recently, I was thinking whether or not there are any fun and interesting features available online that will help a writer in creating their fictional, sci-fi stories or a fantasy story even better. Where everything will be organised in a very efficient and neat manner for ease of reading, updating and we can develop our own settings. I'm not a programmer, but I do have some crazy ideas about some features that I would love to use them if available. One of the idea that I have in mind goes something like this -

Creating a long or short story and adding the interesting characters and scenes[images] into our story.
    This is my personal favorite. Imagine if we could add images of the characters of our story and also add along some of the important scenes, I believe that will make our story even more fun and interesting to create and will definitely attract more readers. Or what if we were able to add the image of the world where our story is taking place?

Do post what do you think about my idea and whether or not you would like to use them if they're available. Criticism is always welcome.
    Do pour your heart out and share the features you would like to use while writing a story online. And please don't post any links to websites in order to prevent advertisement or spam.

2. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

There's quite a good few apps that'll let you do that nowadays; the descendants of the old DTP programs for a start. Quark and InDesign now let you layout your stuff and publish it to your webspace whilst optimising the images and keeping its aesthetic integrity—you could easily adapt this to publish an illustrated story with inbound hyperlinks. Also Apple's iBooks Author, Adobe's Acrobat Pro.... Yes, I think there's loads of ways to achieve your vision.

3. shiftervii

shiftervii New Member

I somewhat guessed the fact that there might be some websites out there with these features, but do people use them or they like it? Never heard of any popular or mainstream platform of such kind where people can write and develop their stories with ease by inserting models or characters in their stories. Hence, I asked the question.
    Have you used any similar website for writing online with these features? If yes, you faced any difficulties or inconvenience while writing?

4. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

There's this @shiftervii : http://www.litlift.com

Not tried it myself as I use notepads, sketchbooks and a laptop that's not always wired to the net. But I could see it working if only for the community feel it appears to offer (a bit like here (am I touting the competition? :meh:). There seems to be a large subscriber base so you'd be motivated I guess by the reading and the feedback they'd provide.