1. frigocc

frigocc Contributor Contributor

What are some reasons a superhero might choose The Wombat as a name?

Discussion in 'Research' started by frigocc, Jul 16, 2022.

Basically, looking to see if I can possibly tie my character's choice in a new superhero name to something personal to him. He's someone that spent a lot of time in prison for a crime he was framed for. Citizens hate him for committing this crime, so he feels like he's unfairly cast as a bad guy.

When he changes his name, it's changed to The Wombat, and while this is good enough in and of itself, it'd be great if I could somehow tie-in some sort of attribute that wombats have that Doug could relate to.

Any ideas?

Rad Scribbler likes this.
  2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Maybe he really wanted to be called Batman but it was already taken, so he just kept coming up with names with bat in them. Sorry, just being goofy.

Not the Territory likes this.
  3. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Wombat could disable bad guys with his cuteness super power, then slowly back them into a burrow while they're busy going, "Awwww!" Once they topple into the tunnel, Wombat rushes in to crush them against the wall of the tunnel It is a merciful execution because they are so enthralled with the warm and fuzzy fake fur of his super hero disguise that they never realize they are being pressed to death. (Wombats only look cute- according to keepers at the San Diego Zoo, they're actually short-tempered and aggressive.)

4. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

So you have changed the basic plot outline? As you described the story idea previously, he was the Wombat, and he was framed for killing the Wombat. So if Doug now doesn't adopt the name Wombat until he has been released from prison ... who did he purportedly kill?

5. frigocc

Well, I've kept it mostly the same. However, I want him to change his name. Wouldn't really make sense to have him suit up again as a hero that others assume is dead. So, starting him off with Mongoose. He was the Mongoose, then was framed for killing who people think is Mongoose. When he suits up again years later, he can't really do it as Mongoose, so he decides to become The Wombat.

6. jpoelma13

jpoelma13 Member

I hate to say it frigocc, but the Wombat sounds like a bizarre name for a superhero. Maybe instead of trying to fit character to the name, you should start with the character and then choose a name that fits.

7. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Maybe he has to gnaw his teeth down like a rat because they never quit growing. This is what he first noticed about his mutant powers. In fact, his whole body is that way and he has Wolverine-like healing, only slower. He discovers this ability later. Also, he is very powerful at night. He could tear your arms and legs off, but it has to be in the p.m.

8. evild4ve

evild4ve Critique is stranger than fiction Supporter Contributor

Wombat is a minor character in Badger (First Comics, 1986), the story of "a multiple-personality suffering, multiple martial arts master, Vietnam War veteran, urban vigilante who can talk to animals."

I think this must be him on the front cover of Issue #15 - Enter the Wombat
    [​IMG]

I must confess I haven't yet purchased this gleaming landmark of comicbook history, but I suspect the reason he was called Wombat is that by 1986 it was the coolest thing left that nobody had already trademarked.

B.E. Nugent likes this.
  9. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I really like the notion that he actually doesn't have any traits that match the name. Depending on the story's tone it would either be hilarious or compelling. Thugs might argue with each other why he's called that, or maybe villains will be curious enough to ask. You really don't have to address it, IMO. Let him be The Wombat just because he is.

frigocc likes this.
  10. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

1) He's a secret furry.
    2) All the other marsupials were taken.
    3) He has a speech impediment and can't say "combat".

3 makes me also think, maybe he's a martial artist whose special move is "Mortal Wombat Fatality".

11. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I'd go with something like in the 'original' Spider Man Trilogy (with Tobey Maguire) and the guy fastens a suit and new persona as 'The Grizzly' but when he turns on the news after his first appearance to the public he hears "A mysterious crime fighter, which witnesses described as a 'Wombat' foiled an attempted bank robbery in the business district late this afternoon. According to the Justice League spokesperson, the League is not affiliated with The Wombat in any way, and citizens are discouraged from seeking his assistance."

(In the 2002 Spider Man film, Peter Parker wanted to go by the wrestling name 'The Human Spider' I think, but the announcer introduced him as Spider-Man I instead.)

Xoic likes this.
  12. Xoic

Come on man, it was freakin' Bruce Campbell!! And you being a fellow Bruce and all!! Though I must admit I didn't recognize him until my friend, an avid Campbell fan, pointed it out. And he didn't know it was him at first either.

Not the Territory likes this.
  13. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Bruce Campbell isn't Bruce Campbell without a boomstick.

dbesim and Xoic like this.
  14. Xoic

As long as he has the chin, he'll always be Bruce. Though he may be occasionally mistaken for Jay Leno.

15. Catriona Grace

Would he be The Wombat Formerly Known As Wambo?

Naomasa298 likes this.
  16. Rad Scribbler

Rad Scribbler Faber est suae quisque fortunae Contributor

The Personality of a Wombat
    The wombat is an animal that is stubborn, surly, obstinate and increasingly aggressive in its older years.

Think of your least favourite uncle who is grumpy, demanding and self-absorbed. If he never gives any thought or consideration to your feelings and he wipes his muddy boots on your carpet as he blunders into your home, gobbles down dinner, damages your precious crockery, leaves the table without a word of thanks, then turns on your tv and spills beer on your couch, he's a human version of a wombat. Adult wombats do not have a nice personality.

Australian Wombat - Facts, Habits and Personality - HubPages

Mogador likes this.
  17. frigocc

I actually like this angle. Keeping it a sort of mystery, playing on the whole thing where criminals have their own mythos about it.

18. B.E. Nugent

B.E. Nugent Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Can't resist any longer.

How?? I mean, I get all the other stuff, the knowledge of the ancient and the arcane, the origins of language and thought, cultural idiosyncrasies, philosophy and literature. People are interested in such things, research and learn and build a solid body of knowledge on broad ranges of the exotic and esoteric. Your grip on those things I can handle. But obscure comic books that disappeared before they were ever discovered? Please tell me it was google!

In any case, after sending my dedicated team of researchers out to meet their obligations under threat of death or a strongly worded letter of complaint, there may be two items of interest to the OP. Firstly, there was a movie, an animated movie on limited release in Australia a few years ago, called Combat Wombat. Haven't seen it but it seems to have received good reviews.

Secondly, a news article referring to the wombat as superhero in Australia during the wildfires. Seems those doing clean up did not come upon charred remains of wombats after the fires were put out but rather discovered the wombats hid securely in their burrows, where many other furry and not so furry (snakes were mentioned) creatures also took refuge. Your character could have been in Australia during the wildfires and dug tunnels where he/she saved a bunch of people? Or just read about the wombats and thought it sounded cool. Or tunnelled out of prison like a wombat.

Far from being unusual or inexplicable, maybe the wombat as superhero is getting a bit tired at this stage...

19. Le Panda Du Mal

Le Panda Du Mal Contributor Contributor

I think everyone is overthinking this. The guy is called The Wombat because he carries babies in his pouch and he poops cubes.

20. Le gribouilleur

Le gribouilleur Active Member

He could have the characteristics of both the mongoose and the wombat. He was called The Mongoose because he defeated many notoriously evil villains at their own games such as politicians, lawyers and advertisers. The main character began to call himself The Wombat after he managed to dig himself out of prison. He is very stealthy and can quickly dig in to hide himself like a special forces soldier. He can run fast when he needs to be. And he has an Australian accent.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  21. Catriona Grace

He runs like a wombat out of hell, perhaps?

I simply cannot take a superhero named Wombat seriously. Perhaps I read one too many children's stories about wombats possessing cute mischievousness factors to the nth power.

jpoelma13 likes this.
  22. jpoelma13

jpoelma13 Member

This sounds more like a parody superhero than a serious one. What if he was a fat midget, who runs through the sewers under the city, and has ray-gun that shoots enormous poopy-cubes?

KiraAnn likes this.
  23. Azuresun

Azuresun Senior Member

"Man chooses a name like that, you know he ain't scared of anything."

frigocc likes this.
  24. frigocc

Damn, that's actually an awesome line. Wish I came up with it, lol