1. Veet

Veet New Member

Veet's Island is a joke, I live in South Korea. :)

Accident Problem

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Veet, Mar 28, 2011.

In my story, it is going to have an accident that characters struggle by the accident. I am struggling- which accident will I use! There are lots of them like Earthquake, Tsunami, Hurricane, etc. Which will be the most hazardous and which will be the most suitable for my story?

BTW, the plot is- The characters are on picnic and playing. Suddenly the accident comes. Which accident it should be?

2. Smoke

Smoke New Member

Um, what?

How about describing what problems they are trying to overcome? Are they having trouble finding food and clean water? Are they cold? Is something hemming them in?

It's hard to figure out what's most appropriate for your story without knowing what your story is. I imagine that you didn't have twenty-foot radioactive cattle in mind when talking about a disaster.

3. Veet

Veet New Member

The plot is- they were playing when they are in picnic. Which would be the best choice to make them panic the most when they were playing?

4. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Hurricanes come with plenty of warning, and are preceeded by enough bad weather no one would go have a picnic the afternoon a hurricane is due to hit land, as do volcanoes since they make a lot of new smoke, ash and small earthquakes before they start erupting at cataclysmic levels. A tsunami follows an earthquake, so go with earthquake - it's the one that can sneak up on characters best. And if you don't think you've made enough of a mess, follow it with a tsunami.

5. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

It depends on the rest of the story - from what you have said I personally think a lion or bear escaped from the zoo, maybe even a rhino.

Do you want their homes destroyed, fires etc ? Where is the location of the park that will also have an impact on what is available to you.

6. Veet

Veet New Member

Homes? No, homes will not be in my story.
    And the location of the picnic is top of the mountain.

7. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

I guess idiot main characters and a volcano it is? :p

8. Elgaisma

If it is just panic and the top of a mountain a snow storm or wind probably - landslide might cause an 'earthquake' effect. Or a mountain lion or something scary.

9. Yandos

Yandos New Member

You could have bio-chemical fog rise into the air from a military facility behind the mountain. Or an air raid from an enemy force (but you would most likely hear the sirens go off). Or a meteor shower (think bombardment). Or a pack of hungary mountain wolves spoting their next meal.

10. Smoke

Smoke New Member

Avalanche? Perhaps a freak storm or they didn't check the weather report.

Heck, an alien invasion, suddenly restless mountain spirit, or a coincidental run-in with a cult's "grand unleashing of destruction" might even work.

11. SeverinR

SeverinR New Member

Simple one; rock slide or tree falls, crushing their car(cell phones left in the car, or the incident takes out the cell tower.)
    I take it your wanting them to be isolated and fighting to make it to safety?

Tsunami would not affect those on the mountains. Basically Tsunami is a low lying coastal town problems.

Hurricane: we get alot of warning on the news, and really the weather around the hurricane is usually bad before it hits. So not picnic weather.

Earthquake; can happen in the mountains, can cause rock slides to block roads, crush the items needed to make it out.

Even the simple car accident in the mountains can lead to an adventure. They crash well off the road, so no one would notice the car. The trip back up to the road, would be dangerous or extremely difficult. even more so, if one is injured.

Freak snow storm could strand them and make it urgent to find shelter. But it would be a very violent storm as people usually don't picnic in cold weather much.(drastic temp change means violent storms.)

These are natural disasters, the man made are limited only by your imagination. Drug dealers/growers chase them, airplane crash, etc.

Are there parents involved?(they are playing just before the accident)
    Will the parents get killed in the accident leaving the kids to figure out what to do?
    Disasters without adults around tend to make some kids more fearful. Even the smallest problem for an adult would be tough for a child that never had to deal with the problem before.

1 person likes this.
  12. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

Giant flying squid. It just makes sense.

If for some reason, in your world, giant flying squids are extinct, I'd go for giant flying sea cucumber.

13. Lothgar

Lothgar New Member

Hardships for a picnic on a mountain top:

Oh noes, we forgot to bring the food!

...you gotta pee...and the rest rooms are locked...

...and the family car just over heated...so you can't go anywhere else until it cools down...

...to make matter worse, those new underpants you are wearing keep riding up...

...and the bees are swarming...

...and a bear just came out of the woods...RUN!...

...scrambling up these loose rocks dislodged some of them and started an rock slide...

...the rock slide caused the hillside to destabilize, triggering an avalanche...

...the avalanche took out the only bridge...

...and a tanker truck full of pesticide was on the bridge, it plunges down into the ravine...its tank is ruptured, releasing a huge cloud of deadly toxins into the air...

...oh noes, the avalanche crashed down into the valley, which we didn't know was a dormant fault line...the earth is starting to quake...

...OMG...its even worse, the earthquake has awakened the dormant volcano that we thought was just a mountain...maybe the Hopi Indian's fire god wasn't just a camp fire tale after all?...

...Running for all we are worth, we finally escape the lava flow...only to see a brilliant flash of light off in the distance...in the direction of home...and a huge, dark, ominous mushroom cloud, slowly rising upward...was that a nuke?

...more flashes of bright light and boiling mushroom clouds appear all over the horizon...approximately one where each major city would be...this doesn't look good...

...fleeing from the radioactive fall out...there is something in the sky...is it bird...is it a plane...is it superman...no, its a creepy looking flying saucer...and it just abducted your little brother...

...months later...the group emerges from the radioactive wilderness, still raging with forest fires...to find the last copy of any newspaper ever printed...the headlines read "THE WORLD ENDS: And its all your fault"...

In retrospect, you probably wouldn't want to use ALL of my suggestions, but you may be able to sift through the list and find a few that might appeal to you ;)

1 person likes this.
  14. MidnightPhoenix

MidnightPhoenix New Member

Avalanche
    A violence storm comes in.
    Fire burning towards them.
    Helicopter or airplane get caught in the storm and crashed into the mountain. (You could have different task they might have to overcome to get to safety)
    Hope this will help.

15. Terri

Terri New Member

Airplane crashing.
    Grizzly bear attack.
    Big foot attack.
    UFO lands.
    Alien abduction.
    Someone time travels & lands in the middle of their blanket.

16. Smoke

Smoke New Member

Ah yes... I have too short of an attention span, and the hubby was watching the newest War of the Worlds... I was actually paying attention to the aftermath of the plane crashing into their house, and I though it was brilliant.

17. sereda008

sereda008 Member

This is foolish. Give us details? And how the heck will a hurricane occur if your character are on the top of Mt. Everest?

A meteor, perhaps? Many of those every day. Perhaps a car explosion? Or maybe the food/whatever was poisoned by hell-knows-what?

Nobody is able to provide a detailed answer if you do not give some details yourself.

18. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's your story. No one else should be deciding this for you.

Don't write by committee.

19. Terri

Terri New Member

We're NOT the ones deciding. We're just offering ideas to trigger the writer's own imagination. Haven't you ever gotten ideas from someone else? Another story, a song, a poem? How is this any different???

20. Elgaisma

What is wrong with writing by committee or bouncing ideas off people ?

Worked well for some of the best TV shows we have - not sure why it can't work for books.

21. Smoke

Smoke New Member

Lead-in time, longevity... I cite listening to my reviewers as an excuse to why a certain relationship in my story turned romantic instead of staying platonic. (I had already decided that it would be obvious necrophilia, I didn't shift that detail when catering to the vocal and it turned out very wrong.)