What are you cooking tonight?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mugen shiyo, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Mink

Mink Contributor Contributor

I think I would give up being vegetarian for a night if I could have a pizza like that.

Shenanigator and Cave Troll like this.
  2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Try molasses maybe?

3. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    It's funny, my Japanese wife taught me how to cook Italian (well, I have no idea what authentic Italian spaghetti sauce is like, but...) spaghetti sauce probably fifteen years ago, and I haven't had store-bought more than half a dozen times since. We kind of take turns, and there's definitely Iain spaghetti sauce and Mrs. A spaghetti sauce, but store-bought just doesn't taste right anymore.

ETA: Spaghetti with meat sauce is our go-to can't decide what we want for dinner also. We eat a ton of it, generally buy half-gallons of EVOO and pasta by the kilo online.

Shenanigator and matwoolf like this.
  4. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

Tonight I’m cooking a Tuscan seasoned chicken breast with lemon pamasean angel hair pasta and mediteranian themed mixed veggies(it’s a birdseye product so I have no idea what’s in the mix.)

Necronox likes this.
  5. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

That has inspired me to cook my own recipe of a white wine & blue-cheese carbonara with gnocchi. I developed that recipe a long time ago and have since enjoyed it immensely, :)

Cave Troll and Iain Aschendale like this.
  6. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Ask Milwaukee they made it.

7. Dracon

Dracon Contributor Contributor

I am one of those people who always orders some food/combination I've never had before, but this has me horrified. Admittedly a little curious too :p but horrified nonetheless. What inspired that idea?

Shenanigator likes this.
  8. Dracon

Dracon Contributor Contributor

Ah, misunderstood - the way you said it, it sounded like your apple sauce was going on the same plate as the garlic-herb blend! And no mention of any pie, crumble, ice cream... Just a sauce alone as a dessert??

We're as confused as each other I think! :D

Shenanigator likes this.
  9. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

I'm wondering if perhaps what we call applesauce is called apple compote in in the UK? It's apples, chopped and cooked down until they fall apart, sometimes sugar is added if the apples were tart, and there's usually cinnamon added. Sometimes it's then pureed. Applesauce can be chunky or pureed. ETA: It's served as a dessert, and small children tend to like it a lot.

10. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

My bf has a relative in Devon who enjoys apple sauce with his pork. Pork and apple sausages are common enough and quite tasty.

I'm tired so I'm phoning it in, chips (chunky fries to you US lot) baked beans and nuggets, I've had a long day.

11. Shenanigator

Long day of cleaning out closets, so I was tired: Chicken salad sandwich and sliced tomatoes.

Moon and Cave Troll like this.
  12. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

I'm cooking takeout...that's...it's a meal you make with dialing numbers, words etc.

minstrel, Cave Troll and Shenanigator like this.
  13. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Couple chicken breasts in the crockpot with onions, red and black pepper, bouillon and a can of Guinness for Guinness BBQ shredded chicken sandwiches later on.

123456789 likes this.
  14. Moon

The exquisite, the amazing, the 6 star out of 5 stars meal that all know and love....its....... A grilled cheese sandwich. THAT'S RIGHT, PEOPLE, A GREAT GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH!

Its....uh...on POTATO BREAD too! So...uh....um...its great...yeah....gonna be...the best dinner ever.... :supercry:

Shenanigator and Iain Aschendale like this.
  15. soupcannon

soupcannon Active Member

I'm just gonna throw some rice, turkey meatballs, tomatoes, onions, garlic, Mexican seasoning into the pressure cooker and see what results from my culinary experimentation. Some sort of Mexican meatballs and rice, I suspect.

Shenanigator likes this.
  16. Moon

[​IMG]

17. Moon

My classmate brought me a Bento after Japanese class was over! Grilled cheese never, ha! .... dodged a bullet there.... >_>

It's got Rice, a shrimp tempura, Veggie dumpling, Hamburger with brown sauce of some kind, noddles and sweet potato.

18. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Forgot to mention, last night I also made almond brittle, aka candied almonds that I left in too long (still getting the hang of this) and curried candied almonds: one tablespoon of curry powder in addition to the one tablespoon of cinnamon.

Good stuff both of them.

Shenanigator and Moon like this.
  19. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

Raviolli from scratch. The ones that didn’t disintegrate in the water were good; I’m going to have to work on that, only about 50% survived long enough to see a plate.

Shenanigator and Iain Aschendale like this.
  20. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Freeze them first... that's what restaurants do.

minstrel, Shenanigator and Cave Troll like this.
  21. Moon

Damn, those sound good. You should make videos on the easy recipes, that way I can watch them and fuck them up and we can all question how that's possible.

Okay, never mind that.

Shenanigator likes this.
  22. Shenanigator

Yum!!!

A while back I was reading an article on cane sugar vs. beet sugar, and if you can get cane sugar (C&H is one) you may have better luck. The recipe testers in the article weren't expecting to see much difference, but they found that even though chemically there's only a small percentage of difference between the two kinds of sugar (the difference supposedly being that cane sugar has some trace minerals beet sugar does not), the two kinds of sugar behaved differently when the recipe testers made anything that required caramelization. The cane sugar caramelized more evenly than beet sugar, and the brittle made with cane sugar had more "snap."

They made other things to compare as well--cookies and a cake, I think, but the caramelization is the thing that stands out in my memory, because I've had inconsistent results when making English toffee and a nut crunch recipe, and I wondered if that was part of the problem.

In the US, if the label doesn't say "cane sugar" or "made from sugar cane" it's likely to be beet sugar (which apparently is becoming more prevalent because it requires less real estate and is cheaper to manufacture), or else it's a brand that switches back and forth between the two without warning to keep costs down. Not sure how it is in Japan, but I thought I'd pass the info along.

The article didn't pop up in my first attempt to look for it just now, so it will take some digging to find it. It was quite a while ago and was very well done.

Edit: This isn't the exact one I was looking for, but it's not bad:

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/SUGAR-SUGAR-Cane-and-beet-share-the-same-2939081.php#photo-2257936

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Iain Aschendale likes this.
  23. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Japanese food labeling, aside from pointing out if it's domestic or from someplace scary, is downright miserably, and I probably couldn't read it anyway, but that's my fault.

Thanks for sharing though, and I will look into it. I think most of the problem is my technique, and since candied almonds aren't the sort of thing one makes daily, improvement is slow and sporadic.

Shenanigator likes this.
  24. Shenanigator

I know, right?

Couldn't find the exact article, but I edited my post to include a link to one that was similar. I liked that it told which brands use cane and which are beet...on the off chance you have access to any American brands of sugar or can buy them online.

ETA: Forgot to answer the question. I didn't "cook." It was junk food night so I did Totino's "Pizza". It's not pizza, and I don't know what the hell it is, but the supreme one is fabulous junk.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  25. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Well its 0019, but garlicky peas. :p

Shenanigator likes this.