1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

What are you doing?..continued

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big soft moose, Sep 24, 2021.

I'm addressing a niggling server issue, thanks for asking. :D Some of our really big threads are throwing up errors and are thus getting closed with continuation threads.. like this one.

Also this thread has had a few wiffles with the occasional user taking it a tad too literally.. the title is an invitation to share what you are doing that might be of interest to your fellow members to chat about...it is not an invitation to micro blog every moment of your life..if you want to do that I'd suggest social media

Mystic Lily and Catrin Lewis like this.
  2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

@EFMingo

| I think I have close to twenty cards in my wallet haha.

How can one man need a single card, and another man need 20?

Wait, don’t answer that. It’ll male my life sound even duller than it already is.

3. montecarlo

montecarlo Contributor Contributor

I’m taking a long lunch today to grab a burger and a brew. I am finishing up my beer, and this older gentlemen sits at the bar with a mask on. He has a book with him and orders a drink. Keeps the mask on the entire time until his drink arrives, then he folds it very neatly and places it with his bookmark. He is now reading his book and sipping his drink unmasked.

so what was the point of 5 min with the mask on???

4. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Writing an apology email to my boss.....
    Why is this so hard????

5. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Do it in person. Trust me on that. Be contrite but also honest, and stand your ground where applicable. They'll understand. And if they don't, fuck em.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  6. J.T. Woody

With this boss.... I need written proof of everything or else it "never happened" :pity:
    Hence the email....

Also, im worried if its in person, i wont be able to convey how i feel because stressful situations makes my stutter worse, which makes me cry, which makes me angry, and i font want to escalate things by trying to talk while angry

Catrin Lewis and jannert like this.
  7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

do it in person first as homer suggests, then if you want a record* send an email for the record 'hi boss as we discussed i'd like to apologise for calling you a redneck bigot... however your membership of the klan is problematic for me...." if necessary copy it to HR and keep a printed copy at home... during disputes company emails have a nasty tendency to get deleted

*the proviso on this is that if you admit wrong doing you might not actually want a record which could later be used against you

8. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Maybe because you don't owe him/her an apology? That's not to say you shouldn't make one in order to keep your job and the peace, but still...

Cyberhugs from me, for what little comfort they may offer.

J.T. Woody and love to read like this.
  9. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

No. Ben Franklin said, "Never ruin an apology with an excuse."

I've been in your position (with a good friend, not a boss) and I just sucked it up and apologized as though I had actually done something wrong (I hadn't). Cost me nothing, and we're still friends.

10. big soft moose

theres a difference though between making excuses and standing by the parts of what you said which you feel are fair

i'd agree that excuses ruin apologies i'm sorry i hit you but you deserved it... nah

but registering as per my original example that you still aren't okay with something unacceptable isn't an excuse

11. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Oof, I've been there. Twice. With my secretary.

The first time was when she was trying to proselytize our Cambodian co-worker so I snapped, saying if he wasn't interested in converting to Christianity, that's his business.

The second was, when I was under a lot of stress, snapped that I didn't care about what my (now dead, and quite horribly racist) boss said because he wasn't around no more.

Both times I had to apologize.

Honestly, while your feelings are valid, sometimes it's best to try and smooth things over because you could be working with this douche for God knows how long, and unlike my dead boss, he ain't gonna croak any time soon.

12. big soft moose

first time doesn't sound like you had anything to apologise for tbh

13. J.T. Woody

Went to apologize in person, but he's not even here today...

anyways, I'm editing a chapter in my WIP and am suddenly thinking about changing the ending of it. I'm not quite sure which is more compelling, so now i'm currently trying to fight the block :superthink:

14. Link the Writer

To be fair, my Cambodian co-worker made me go apologize. He did appreciate me trying to defend him, but yeah I think he wanted to make sure there wasn’t a rift between me and the secretary.

Dude’s possibly more compassionate than I am. :p I’m learning a lot from him.

15. love to read

love to read Senior Member

Finally I'm fullfilling my resolution of going out and have a cup of coffee (or more precisely a cappuccino). But that's not all: After the cappuccino, for the first time in 1 1/2 years I'm going to the cinema, watching the new James Bond movie. It probably will be my last James Bond - not because something ominous ist looming above me (at least I hope not;)) but because before Daniel Craig I wasn't a big Bond fan. Anyway, I'm excited and hoping for a spectacular farewell.

AntPoems likes this.
  16. Catriona Grace

I am trying to stay awake until 9:00 so I can go to bed without waking up at 2 a.m. Due to a long series of events too weird, terrible, and just plain frustrating to go into, I ended up writing and editing a 4000 word newsletter in about three days, complete with photos, cut lines, and a full day of research beyond what I'd already done. I am beat, pooped, wiped out, brain dead, and otherwise unfit for human company, except the sort I can address while comfortably attired in my jammies.

Catrin Lewis and Xoic like this.
  17. Link the Writer

Hoping I don’t incur Moosie’s wrath by subbing to all the topics I subbed in the original version. :p

18. Chromewriter

Chromewriter Contributor Contributor

"it is not an invitation to micro blog every moment of your life"
    I sleep. I eat. I wake. :D

But in reality, I had to wait as my wife was finishing her job because someone died right at the end of the shift. Feel kinda shitty, but I was expecting the guy to die (we currently work in the same facility right now) and I was merely annoyed at the hold up.

It's hard to keep empathy going in my field (Nursing) and sometimes I don't really understand my job or how to feel about it. But I do wonder about the people who are against stuff like euthanasia and whether they have actually been around dying people at all.

19. big soft moose

Carving the happy little christmas tree

In some incredibly hard wood (that's what i get for buying my wood out of the bargain bin at yandles) after three hours of swearing he came out okayish except that i snappedhis nose off... this one will have a red pom pom for a nose...no pics because my phone is flat

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  20. Link the Writer

OK, let's see what's a-happening on the internet today...

*reads that Twitch has been hacked*

*reads that we finally discovered the true identity of the Zodiac Killer, a man named Gary Francis Poste who died in 2018*

... What's next? :p Twitter gets hacked and crashes and someone people at large thought was long dead suddenly reveals themselves to be alive and well? :p

21. ruskaya

ruskaya Contributor Contributor

watching a video of someone making a book (physically "building" a book) but instead of showing how it is made, the video is centered on the person doing it (only showing partially what he is doing), and . . . talking . . . and responding to comments displaying in the live chat section.

Wondering what is so interesting in this person that people just want to watch him do something and talk.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  22. J.T. Woody

Trying to do laundry while my big puppy has the zoomies around the room and my other dog is steadily trying to trip me at every turn....
    Also, singing "I Dont Wanna Stop" by The Bamboos at the top of my lungs :bigtongue:

23. love to read

love to read Senior Member

Packing for my trip to Belgium tomorrow. As always, the bag is the limit, and as always, I have the constant feeling I have packed not enough/too warm / too cold things :unsure:.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  24. Catriona Grace

Let's talk about big puppies with the zoomies! I finally put Big Puppy and one of the other dogs outside so I can finish cleaning house (which is what I'm doing and what I will go back to after this break). The other two are willing to stay quietly on their beds and let me work. Big Puppy is four months old and weighs 45 pounds. He's three-quarters black lab and a quarter Pyrenees Mountain Dog. His parents both look like medium large labs but this one might be channeling that PMD grandparent.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  25. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

In general? Spending way too much time gearing up for a bucket list trip. In December of next year I'm travelling back to England, but this time I'm sailing on the Queen Mary 2. Both ways. I've put down my deposit and booked my cabins.

Thing is, if I do nothing but haunt the fan sites, I won't be ready when the time comes. I have three ball gowns and their underpinnings to draft and sew, and more important, I have to get my W.I.P. finished, edited, and published. The New York to Southampton crossing I'm on features the Literature at Sea Festival, an offshoot of the Cheltenham Literary Festival, and if I'm going to introduce myself as a writer, I'd better have something more under my belt than one measly indie-published novel.

I also have to get busy reading the works of the featured speakers. Have to admit they're all Brits I haven't heard of before. Shame on me, right?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    AntPoems and Homer Potvin like this.