What Are You Doing?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Carly Berg, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

I'm up, but I'm not awakhe.

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Serving hatches from the kitchen to dining room we a big thing in English architecture about thirty years ago.. the other thing you'll find is that there are big variations in price with only small geographic variations - ie i rent a three bedroom farm house for less than the price my colleague pays for a 1 bed flat 20 miles away. (he has an oblique sea view - i just have hills)

3. Xander17

Xander17 Hermit Archetype Supporter Contributor

6am, weather is clear. Sexy muffler tomorrow in Lonnie, thus rest day. About to do some calis and hit the road on me treadlee to give the partially modded drivetrain a workout.

Due to less that a week's keto coffee, just hit sub 76kgs...been hovering through 76-77 for a few weeks.

The slightly reduced effort on me rides is a long term improvement.
    - I still increase in fitness and health.
    - I'm in a more positive mood at the end due to far less physical pain.
    - Less brain fatigue thus I can do more writing and other tasks, which in turn reduces any negativity towards exercise.

It's been a while since reading of it, thus some elements might be incorrect or out of sequence...plus recounts from various places are also different, so no loyas m'kay...

Buddha, while he was still searching for answers to human suffering, after spending a great deal of time on different paths, learning from and practicing with the wisest in the lands he travelled...exhausted, sitting by the river's edge, noticed a musician tuning his sitar. He asked the musician how he does this to get the instrument to make it's exquisite sounds.

The muscian said, tighten the strings too much and they can break, too little and no sound comes out or the sound is unpleasant, you have to find the balance between too much and not enough. Not long after Buddha finally got his revelations about how to resolve human suffering and called his way, The Middle Way.

I liken it to the analogy of walking on a thin beam - lean to the left and you fall off, lean to the right you also fall off, thus you have to suffer some type of injury, recover, then get back on the beam to continue your journey, or in both cases you don't fall off but you spend a lot of time and energy keeping upright, thus you make little progress and both examples are frustrating which also hinders you.

But when you find your own balance point through trial and error and understanding of oneself, then the tasks you engage in becomes an effortless joy and progress is at it's most efficient.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Cave Troll, Kinzvlle and love to read like this.
  4. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

Zombie typist! :bigeek:

Kinzvlle likes this.
  5. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Look up at screen, read post. Look down at keyboard, close eyes... :sleepy:

6. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I knew that your ride was one hour, one minute, but I was jokingly misunderstanding it as a one minute, one second ride, with a goal of getting sub-one minute times.

7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

That's too funny. The wife and I were doing the same thing earlier... lease is up in October. The East Side where Brown University is is gorgeous but super expensive. Easy to blow a million bucks on a colonial over there. Federal Hill near where I live is full of dumpy postwar multifamilies. Not entitely without charm, but the college renters have taken over there.

8. Xander17

Nice one !
    I wouldn't have gotten that in eleventee hundred years.

My kids used to have tonzofun pranking me like this, saying things that don't make sense and watching me lecture them on their irrational comment or behaviour, eventually rolling they eyes, laughing their asses off when finally informing me they were joking, and about how dumb I am.

I do tend to miss the bleedin' obvious in many areas of life, even though my awareness is quite high. I know it's due to what I focus on and how my mindtank works, for I cured both types of depression with awareness and basic thinking skills, but girls flirting with me, some social nuances, subtle, coded or indirect language or wonderful silly jokes waft past me like I'm in a coma.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Kinzvlle likes this.
  9. Xander17

7:30 am ride. The waxed chain is sweet. A slight glitch between cogs 6-8.
    Will do more tweaking after I install the new crankset.

Guess what temp it was in the bike shed? Zero point effen four degrees. WOO !
    Fingertips sore for the 1st 20 minutes, slight white frost on some parts of the road but tyres gripped well. By the time I hit the village the sky was greyed out and without any sun it felt even colder on the return leg. 6 degrees in shed when I got home at 10.

Now 1pm, in ute in village havin' a coffee and hot breakie, just starting to thaw out.
    The zero temp ride in wasn't the problem, that was fun and enlivening, it was zero sun on the return leg that chilled me to the bone. Will keep an eye out for that now that winter has finally arrived.

10. Xander17

Oh and headsup to all, because I do tend to miss the bleedin' obvious in many areas, I'm not being a smartass when I ask obvious questions or query common or well known things or statements. I ask because I'm genuinely wanting to gather info. Just because you know or can see something doesn't mean everyone else can.

I also inqure if I see more than one way to interpret a statement, so as to reach understanding asap before convos derail.

Cheers.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  11. Homer Potvin

Oh, right, ya'll are heading into winter down there, huh? That's messed up... stupid planetary axial tilt.

Xander17 and Cave Troll like this.
  12. love to read

love to read Senior Member

Despite over 30﮿ C I wanted to mow the lawn. But first I had to declare war to the thistles and nettles. The first battle I’ve won with only a few injuries, but they are bound to return because I didn’t get rid of the root(s) of evil :twisted:.

13. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Laying down. Usually don't like lazing around, but after this mornings madness....it feels good to chillax.

I have a slight sunburn from yesterday's beach adventures.

14. Homer Potvin

Debating whether I want to wash the restaurants' windows or not. They're like 15 feet tall and wrap all the way around the building. Not too dirty but my next 2 Mondays are spoken for, so it's either do them today or Monday July 8th. Hmmm... nice out today, so maybe.

Kinzvlle, Lemie and Cave Troll like this.
  15. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

Thank you for the Buddha story that was actually somewhat helpful to putting certain things in perspective. Your posts our always quite interesting.

Enjoy you`r relaxation. I maybe should be laying down myself but I get sick of lazing around. This darn job leaves me so tired and drained by the time I get back to feeling human it`s time to lay down for work tomorrow. It`d be one thing if I felt the job was fulfilling or that I was good at it...but neither is true. I`ll make some changes if I ever have the time to.

Glad the motorcycle rally is over, that was far to much both at work and outside of it. Got out of work and went about taking pictures as the tourism center had asked me to. Glad I had someone with me because I was so exhausted I about tipped over, and could barely talk or think. Still, need to go through the pictures, plan was to come home eat junk food and do that. Along with writing and etc. Ended up getting out late, eating dinner, kinda just stopping, feeding the misfits, and now it`s probably time for bed as I sit drenched in sweat.

Do you have the next two days off but so much to do on them I never get around to doing. I don`t know for tonight I`ll probelly put some Netflix on and lay down.

Xander17, Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  16. Xander17

So, at the exhaust shop, once the car was raised, we sussed out the Cat which I knew was faulty due to the temp test, discovering it'd been partially dented at the rear due to one particular incident on the single dirt road that takes me to the beach, thus alas, it rattled and I had to fork over another $350 to install a new one.

After a warm breakie and coffee at a nice bakery at the end of the mall nearby, he shows me the guts of the Cat, half the honeycomb was missing, broken off and spewed out the exhaust over a year since the dent.

I never got to hear how the repaired system sounds, (as the Cat and the sexy stainless muffler have a different flow setup), 'cus I screwed around with the fuel filter the day before and on the drive into Lonnie I lost a cyclinder due to a clogged injector.
    Today, driving to the village for writer's group, after installing new filter and shoving a ton of injector cleaner in the tank, the injectors became worse to the point of losing two.

Been scanning eBay for new and rebuilt sets, ordered a fuel regulator and sussed out stainless fuel rails or performance alloy ones, all the things that can cause clogging or be clogged on the fuel system.

After group, chatted with me mechanic and he can sonic clean my current injectors for as cheap as free, and all I gotta get is an O-ring kit (just done $11)
    Saving me at least $200 for a recon set, $370 for aftermarket new.
    Recon is the same as sonic clean and O-ring kit.

So ute is off the road for a week (unless of emergency) till parts arrive, though tomorrow I'll take injectors off and give 'em a temp clean to see if I can get the ute to better state, then once again remove and take in injectors for sonic clean the day the other parts arrive. The treadlee becomes a work horse for a day.

Also during the week, now I got a decent crank tool, install the rest of the bike's drivetrain, and see how fast I can hit down the hills. Also got a cute little rear light, so early rides are safer.

I like how I was researching how to clean the fuel system and install better parts, and then the fuel system plays up big time.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Cave Troll, Some Guy and Homer Potvin like this.
  17. Homer Potvin

Yo, I don't know what the hell you just said but it sounded cool in my head!

Xander17, Cave Troll and Some Guy like this.
  18. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Up at one in the morning as per usual. :p About to have a long, busy day at work today that I'm actually kind of looking forward to.

19. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

Just reached out to my mum. I called and got the answer phone, so I left a message. But at least she can hear my voice and knows I'm not upset with her. It's been a while, so small steps. :)

20. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

Had a productive morning at the human services office. Should have insurance starting in July so woot. Just been watching netflix since....bit of a problem.

There's a open mic cabernet (spoken word, acoustic music, and etc)'at six I do sound for. The people called last night asking if i could prepare anything for the crowd. Only second time doing it so i think its padding, in case not many people show up. Which is fine but they asked me the night before i have nothing prepared i never do.

I have things ive been meaning to do even for this that i just havent. As much as i hate to rush a creative thing into...four hours give or take....really if i dont have a deadline will i ever actually do it?

Mabye shouldve worked last night while i was only sleeping on and off but really just rested and ate tacos. Work drains to much of my engery and time which...i hate complaining about that because its a job. ..your supposed to dedicate time and engery to it...but its not fullfilling, physically im not well enough, and struggle to keep up with my coworkers. The moneys....better then what im used to but....its also only a dollar minimum wage....and its good because i put in 95 hours. Which i cant stand after work...literally....i push through it but i get off and i can't talk, wobbly, and just not well. Just not a fit.

Ill be writing some things and looking at leads on different jobs beforr getting cleaned up today.

After this one last episode.

Cave Troll likes this.
  21. Xander17

1.6 degrees ride this morning...so warm, haha.
    Nice clear sky to sit in the sun in the village, mild clouds far off in the eastern distance, but ffs tassie aliens, the clouds once again came rolling in within several minutes (I judged they were a couple of hundred Ks away), thus had to prematurely head home, but nowhere near as cold as last overcast ride home.

Created a slight social emergency during my unwind ride around the village so wanted to sort it out asap, had to drive the 'limp type mode' ute in. Easily sorted, now sittin' in ute 'avin' a coffee. Doesn't look like I'll be working on the ute today if the sky remains overcast.

The plan is to first remove the spark plug coils that sit deep inside the head and test them, 'cus I could have blown a coil, though doubtful as I got me some high quality 40kva (standard is 20) ones from a bloke on the mainland that gets them specially build with Japanese parts and technology, and he even matched the resistence so all coils are as even as possible. The tolerance levels are tight compared to some coils I've come across.
    (higher output voltage equates to better fuel burn which equates to either more power or econ.)

Then rip out plugs to see which cyclinders aren't getting the fuel they require and this also gives me the opportunity to install the HP( hi performance) ones I bought from him a year ago. Just have to contact him to find out how to set the gaps as they have 4 prongs not the usual one.

Then rip out air filter pipes and possibly the throttle assembly so I can get to the fuel rail which houses the injectors. Checked with mech, no special tools required, easy to do, just time consuming. Only thing you should do as standard practice is install new o-rings after removal as they tend to never reseat properly, though a dollop of vasoline will do me till I do the full service of 'em when the other parts arrive early next week.

I just wanna tinker till then and see if I can get the faulty ones up and running a bit better, and the test run is good, for if I break something or find other issues I can sort any of that out quicker so I can get back to havin' jolly good thrashes over The Sidling.

While installing new fuel filter under car, I also checked out the three engine mounts. No sign of breakage on the power side of the block, but it's definitely broken as per feel while driving. New solids came yesterday, and I measured the rear mount to ensure I buy the correct model, but upon inspection and observation of 'em on eBay, the rear is solid and it sits at the rear of the gearbox, thus it don't see much strain thus I won't be replacing it.

˜wrings hands together and smiles˜so looking forward to woking on me ute.

22. Xander17

Clarifications joyfully given free of charge upon request.
    I work on keeping my posts as tight as possible, which can create ambiguity, though I try to find a balance of keeping it tight while providing what I consider adequate info, though of course I have no idea of folk's acquired knowledge database from their experiences.

But that's one of the many things I like about questions. If you don't know, ask.
    Took me far too many years to comprehend this.
    Personal trivia: My all time fav question...Why?

23. sleepindawg

sleepindawg Senior Member

Writing this post, but I doubt you meant me to be that literal with my reply.

Actually, I'm waiting for someone to post a reply in my thread under "Character Development". Being in a rehab facility (because I got very weak a few months ago) leaves me with very little to do at 10:15 pm EDT except to work on my projects and hope I can get something together that will be published. I do have a couple of short stories that some of the staff here say are pretty good, but nothing that fits in any contests here.

And there you have it.

EDIT: I bothered to read some posts on the first page and found a post saying that we all should be taking the question so literally. Kinda scary to find a mind that works so much like mine.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Kinzvlle, Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  24. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I want to coin a new term for when someone thinks they are defined entirely by their own physical strength and is angered when they can't get stronger than another person:

#TheVegeta

Basically, while I was lifting weights, a thought came to me that fifteen pounds might just be my weight limit. Felt a bit miffed by it, like how dare I not be stronger. How dare I fall behind someone who is obviously stronger than me. Naturally, this reminded me of Vegeta from Dragonball Z whose entire character revolved around this in relation to Goku. :p

So there you have it. #TheVegeta. :p

25. Lolly Inkstain

Lolly Inkstain Member

I am..... Under my duvet (how many times can I type the word 'duvet' on this forum in one day?) hugging my stinky sloth (his name is Aubrey, by the way), sort of daydreaming about my idealistic life. It's quite sad, to be honest. But there's a modicum of happy to it, because I'm home alone so it's quietish, and I don't like being bothered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.