What Are You Doing?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Carly Berg, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

After running a lab for years, I've discovered that the running temp is best controlled by pushing cool air in, NOT trying to pull heat out. Directing air flow is fine, but the overall goal will not be achieved unless you pressurize (minutely) the case. Open space (off floor) is preferred. Don't let Mr. Bitz cook in it's own heat. If CPU and GPU have proper fan-sink design, I can drop temps by 20 degrees with just a single filter-fan pushing from the bottom. For high performance setups, seal everywhere you don't want air to come out with thermal tape. Leave openings (equal volume) at neighboring GPU slot and CPU cavity clear. PS fans cool the PS - they do not cool a system. Do not allow heat to convect. Push cool in, channel heat out at the source. :)

SpokenSilence likes this.
  2. SpokenSilence

SpokenSilence Member

Okay - so far I've done what my system likes: writing xD
    It never heats up during that so I guess I'm not overworking it by writing even more (lucky me... or better: lucky hands as I won't get back to handwriting now for more than a scene or two)

I'm leaving for work soon (why do colleagues have to get sick on my day off?) but I'm glas I sat down writing before. I've only managed about 1k words but I guess it's a working beginning. Surey I'll have to review it, but for now it should work just fine.

Xander17 likes this.
  3. sleepindawg

sleepindawg Senior Member

Working on my crafting now. It will take at least 3 more inches of the main part of this chain before I can taper it down to a double row for the adjustable part.
    choaker.jpg

4. Xander17

Xander17 Hermit Archetype Supporter Contributor

Either get a knowledgeable person to suss it out or learn some minimal basics; testing CPU and GPU temps while at idle and at load is the first diagnositc to do.
    With a game, you have to test straight after running it for a bit a the processors will still be hot.
    Another would be to simply feel how much air is coming out the vent, and how hot at idle and load. Heaps of web pges and geek forums with tons of helpful info that can be gleaned quickly.

5. Xander17

I'm with EFMingo on this, that huge price tag for that tiny little van seems incorrect.
    Brand new made out of carbon fibre and has Tardis qualities, yes, but not if it's a standard build.

As for your question, you could simply ask her, she may not have considered what you have.

6. Xander17

You won't know until you ask.

7. Xander17

Awoke around 2am.
    Let Hunter in from the cold. 3am has stew and pineapple for breakfast. Newest batch even better than last one. I like that, as back in the day when my mind was an unknown and uncontrollable mess, often things would get worse or deteriorate the more I did it. The biggest one of course is doing my ex for 10 years till she got so disappointed in me, she left.

Onto brighter things...
    Writer's group today, weather was iffy since sunday so still no injectors.
    Long awaited fone chat with son in law booked in for this arvie.
    Have to do Lonnie on friday for the special price on the AEGs so I have to get the injectors done wed-thurs.

Malisky and Cave Troll like this.
  8. Xander17

In the village having pork rolls for 2nd breakfast, about to hit writer's group, then coffees from art gallery while chatting with son in law, then clean out chimbly at home, the Contessa got a shitty batch of wood and the flue clogged up again in a few weeks,then if still time, continue denailing a stack of wood I got from the dump, some mild exercise in preparation for the injectors.

9. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

So, are you having pork rolls while in the village, or are you in the village that's having pork rolls?

10. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

Second day in a row I woke up early in the morning. 7am today, yes sir! :) I slept 12 hours straight and this time it was a deep kind of sleep. I only woke up once during the night and fell immediately asleep again. A friend had come to visit me yesterday and I fell asleep as he was talking to me. This hasn't happened to me before. How rude. I talked with him this morning and he was very understanding. He's a good friend. I suck.
    Anyhow, I'm still drinking coffee and procrastinating, getting my thoughts in order. I'll go for a walk in the center at some point, although the weather report shows rainfall. I don't mind. I missed crappy weather. Have a good morning people! :D

11. sleepindawg

sleepindawg Senior Member

Taking a break from my crafting to eat a bowl of Raman noodles. This time it's chicken with chili powder added.

love to read likes this.
  12. Ragne

Ragne Member

If I finish this work before noon, I will cook some apple turnover for my day.

It's soon the birthday of a friend. I need to do for him a tiramisu with speculaasblend.

If none of my plan works for my future, I will opening a nice café littéraire (café with book everywhere) whence I will cook a lot of patisserie. Who comes ?

Xander17, Malisky and SpokenSilence like this.
  13. SpokenSilence

SpokenSilence Member

I'll come! No matter how far away ;)

I'll continue writing today 'til noon. I got quite into the story yesterday and want to know where it goes.

Ragne and Malisky like this.
  14. Malisky

Me too! :D

Ragne likes this.
  15. Ragne

Ragne Member

Voilà some pictures to help you coming.
    This project will cribbling me withdebt, but at least, I will eat a lot of sugar everyday :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Xander17 and Malisky like this.
  16. SpokenSilence

SpokenSilence Member

Yea, I'll stick to it... I'm coming no matter how far xD

Ragne likes this.
  17. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

Trying not to freak out.

I'm having a trial shift tomorrow. This is far from Swedish standards on how to get a job and it sort of feels like jumping from a high building. Who the hell can do a good job their first day?

On Thursday I'm going to London on my own.

I'm going to do all important things early today and then hide under a blanket for the rest of the day!

Xander17 and Malisky like this.
  18. Ragne

Ragne Member

In France, trial shift (usually a day, sometimes even week or month) are usual. You aren't expected to do a "good job". Of course, your boss or manager will know that you don't know the habits of the work, the software ...
    Instead of watching your capability on the field, they watch your confidence. How you try, how is your attitude (are you positive, smiling and seeking to do the best you can do in your situation). In a way, are you matching with the job and its custom. They will learn you after what's needed.

Don't hide under a blanket. Do something that make you confident, full of brave. You need to have a mindset of someone who know she can do it, and not someone afraid of the task :)

I believe in you.

Xander17, Lemie and Malisky like this.
  19. Malisky

Agreed. @Lemie just try to look normal. :superagree:

20. Lemie

In Sweden there's always an interview first. Then you get a month or three to prove your worth (unless you really screw up). Though this is just temporary so I guess a month of trial would be plenty. It just moves so fast here. I applied to the job and an hour later they wanted me to come in to work as soon as possible! In Sweden you'll have to wait a few days or weeks to hear back from anyone.

Confidence is my worst enemy. I've got a hell of a work ethic and can work hard when I know what's needed... but I'm going to go through it all with fear and the feeling that I'm not doing enough.

Thank you :friend:
    I'm not sure I'm that good of an actor :bigtongue:

Malisky likes this.
  21. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Just pretend like you're a hard worker that's willing to take instruction. If you already are that that's probably better.

Lemie likes this.
  22. Ragne

Ragne Member

Well, indeed that's really quick. Take care, if they are in a hurry :
    • First, they have a strong turnover, thus a shitty managing. If it's too toxic, take the money you need but keep seeking for another job and leave the soonest you can (and early if it's gonna kill you. I've spend few month in Brussels a year ago to work for a lobbying company in NATO and the turnover was crazy, the money least than decent and the boss terribly toxic. I've had to leave to survive, even if they have "forgot" to paid me three month) Preserve yourself that's the most important.
    • Or (and my finger are crossed) they need people because they have too many work. In this option : you are in a strong position to negociate. They need you, and need you quickly, so you can ask for something more.

The confidence is a tough skill, hard to learn, hardest to master. To help myself with it, I've discover a few tricks (I do too many list on this forum, I feel like a teacher)
    1. Don't put word in other mouth. Ask what you can improve and don't anticipate blame on your mistake or behaviour. They are adult too and they can communicate. If they don't say a word and you are an issue for them, how can you imagine it ? Someone who blame you to haven't discover what's in his mind is a fool and, in a way, toxic.
    2. Remember that's you are the one who do the job. Perhaps I can do it better than you. Perhaps someone is the best in the world to do it, but neither him or me are doing it. So taking time to fear the simile is a waste. You are doing the task, and usually, you are doing it quite good. Ok, some details could be better. But you will improve. You have the knowledge and they have the experience to share to help you making it.
    3. Don't stay on a failure. This days, I prepare a national exam to work for the governement. There is three test to have the job. An essay in english, an essay about geopolitical issue and a concept note. The last one is my nightmare, I spend the last week on one and probably today and tomorrow too. I can't do it, and honestly, I feel like crap. And as I'm focus on this to improve myself, to finnaly beat it, this become my world. That's the issue. That's not because this note is new to me and hard to master that I can't have the job. Matter of fact, I'm quite good on the two other exams, I've a some experience which speack for me to have the job. When we fail, we see the failure as a frontier. But it's not a border where we are contain. You have capability and skill beyond this point. Remember your strengh and improve your weakness.
    4. Build the futur. A life, a couple, a job, it's a propect on the future. You need to build a project with it, to stagger your relaiton with it. WHat do you want from you job in six month? A year ? Ten ? More money, more skill. Of course, that's a bet and it's freaking scary to build on cloud, but give you an objectif with your job and work for it. You will learn confidence, you will learn even more.
    I guess that's how you built confidence, being humble, focusing on your skill without loosing them when you fail and work for the future.

And when the day is dark and the though darker, remember Montesquieu. "I've never experiment a grief which can't be cured by an hour of reading".

Hope it's not too patriarchal^^

SpokenSilence likes this.
  23. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    You're just that damn good, they were afraid if they let you out of the building without some sort of commitment, somebody would hire you out from under them in the parking lot.

You got this!

Cave Troll, Lemie and Malisky like this.
  24. Lemie

I... just got offered more jobs! This one is more likely to lead to a full time and pays... 10 pence more than the other one.

Because... I'm just that awesome!

Let's go with that rather than I'm applying to jobs that are desperate for people.

25. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Told you so.

Lemie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.