What Are You Reading Now.

Discussion in 'Book Discussion' started by Writing Forums Staff, Feb 22, 2008.

1. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Active Member

Paperboy- Vince Vwater
    its a "children's book" but it comes highly recommended for the stutterers in my group young and old.

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

That's funny because that's about how I felt about it. Maybe not the toilet but I lost interest and have started Russian Roulette by David Corn and Michael Isikoff instead.

Ready Player One partial review: I got through the first challenge where the protag gets the copper key (not really a spoiler, of course he was going to get it). And it had nothing making me feel any emotion about it. His life really isn't at risk and that's how it felt. Maybe there was a tiny bit of clever game playing, but it was tiny, nothing that made one feel the character fit the hero role.

I did like the world, the stacks sounded interesting, going to school as an avatar, and a few other things.

In short, nothing there creating reader investment. I may or may not finish it, probably not, and instead I'll see the movie when it's out on DVD.

Moon likes this.
  3. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I've been devouring short stories recently, anything I can get my hands on. I've been really enjoying these Best American Short Stories collections. They have a ton of wonderful pieces, and there's a tremendous variety of style, content, form, etc. within each volume.

4. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce.

5. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Not a Fucking Doormat Contributor

Several Beta reads, and I'm still trying to get through Colleen McCullough's Bittersweet. I loved The Thorn Birds for its lush descriptions, and this is so polar opposite to that I'm having a hell of a time getting past chapter one. I even tried skipping around to try to find something interesting to latch onto, but nada. It takes place during the 1920's, so my vintage-loving self should be savoring every second of it, but never have I read such bland lack of description about such a lively period.

edited to add italics and a hyphen

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    John-Wayne likes this.
  6. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Staff Supporter Contributor

Finished Naomi’s Room (great till halfway point, after that it took a dive) and started Anna Dressed in Blood. I think it’s YA but I already like it waaay better than The City of Bones that I tried to read but the 1st two chapters were unbelievably bad.

7. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

I brought a Japanese book called "Owari-Monogatari" and slowly, painfully, am reading it. The Kanji in the book throws me for a loop sometimes(and I have to check if I'm reading it right), but practice makes perfect.

Artifacs likes this.
  8. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

Past Mortems: Life & Death behind Mortuary Doors by Carla Valentine. It's equal part memoir and history in dealing with the dead (particularly in the UK, where the author lives and works) and it's fascinating. I can imagine my uncle, who fixes crematorium furnaces for a living, quite liking it.

9. SethLoki

SethLoki Unemployed Autodidact Contributor

Shantaram ~ Gregory David Roberts

I don't know how I missed this. Fantastic writing, fantastic story.

10. matwoolf

matwoolf Contributor Contributor

I was so excited about it...

About 2/3 the way through I turned against him - and didn’t want the book in the house.

I can’t remember exactly why. Possibly his ‘love interest’ after he saved the shanty town...creepy...

I’ll ‘think on.’

11. SethLoki

SethLoki Unemployed Autodidact Contributor

Gnargh, spoiler alert. Mind you, I've been warned he's no role model. I was the same with The Dice Man...great idea, well written but I failed to chime with the character's principles.

12. Goodey

Goodey New Member

I'm reading two books simultaneously. The Personal MBA by Josh Kaufman, when I want something serious - very useful book. And Tramps, Thieves and IT by Val Grian when I want to relax and have some fun - great plot and a lot of smart jokes.

13. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman with a pen in hand Contributor

Across China by Peter Jenkins....

CVS is holding some sort of charity, and for $2.o0 you get a book, I picked up two so far. Spanish for begginers and Across China.... but what appealed to me about them was that they are older books and hard cover.... the rest were newer novels... though there was a Patterson novel... maybe.

14. Beloved of Assur

Beloved of Assur Member

A non-fiction book for me right now; Daily life of the ancient Greeks by Robert Garland.

15. matwoolf

matwoolf Contributor Contributor

Sorry @Seth - not really a spoiler - I was ‘lazy-texting’ - more like ‘spiritual’ packaged as ‘adventure.’

16. Night Herald

Night Herald The Illustrated, Blind, Solid Silver Bitch Supporter Contributor

Two things:

Gormenghast by Merwyn Peake. A wonderful and fantastically written book, just as good as the preceding Titus Groan. Hard to believe I waited so long to give this series a try.

The Cold Commands, book 2 of A Land fit for Heroes by Richard K. Morgan. It's a pretty good and interesting Dark Fantasy series, though it hasn't quite blown my mind just yet. I'll probably see it through to the end.

Artifacs and Malisky like this.
  17. Dracon

Dracon Contributor Contributor

The Traitor Baru Cormorant has the most promising start I've read in a long while, and as an added bonus might be just what I'm looking for as I write my own WiP.

18. Cave Troll

Cave Troll I'm in G-love with a Wonderful Lady. :) Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Well I move on from The Hellbound Heart, to Star Surgeon.
    Kinda a strange transition in terms of genre and tone. Though
    the latter is much more technical than I had assumed. :p

19. Moon

The Mist by Stephen King. I'm actually enjoying it a bit. Most likely due to its non-weapon-like size

20. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

Just finished devouring all of Karin Slaughter's Grant County books. I read her other series first, so the massive twist ending at the end of the last book, Beyond Reach, wasn't a surprise for me, but they were still really good books.

21. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I'm about to start The Man Who Changed Everything, by Basil Mahon. It's a biography of James Clerk Maxwell, who is in the pantheon of gods when it comes to physics, and whose name is revered and reviled (because of the notorious difficulty of his equations) among engineering students.

Moon and Oscar Leigh like this.
  22. Moon

Just finished up Astrophysics For People In A Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson. Sure, Neuroscience is my field, but anything space related....sigh. In high-school, I fell in love with a nebula. :p

Gonna read two books: The Future Of The Mind by Michio Kaku and The Girl With The Ghost Machine by Lauren DeStefano. One is a kids book that I'm reading to my youngest niece while the other is my nerd fuel.

I may also reread the Scott Pilgrim series.....again....because I love that series.

23. Zerotonin

Zerotonin Serotonin machine broke Supporter

Just finished It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini. Good book, interesting writing style, but nothing groundbreaking. Would highly recommend if you ever wanted to learn what it's like in a psychiatric ward.

Started Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel right afterwards.

24. Teladan

Teladan Active Member

Finished Crime and Punishment. Reading The Death of Ivan Ilyich next.

Cave Troll likes this.
  25. Dracon

Dracon Contributor Contributor

Polished off The Traitor Baru Cormorant this weekend, probably read half of it on Friday and feel terribly guilty for it.

Now I have Lord Brocktree to indulge my nostalgia as I finally get to reading the very few books of the Redwall series of my childhood I never read. There's also The Sable Quean and The Rogue Crew.

Like standing on a clifftop looking to an icy pool a hundred feet below, I'm considering taking another stab at Malazan, after my aborted attempt last year. Still weighing up whether I am in the right mindset to roll with the punches.