What are you tired of seeing in Sci-Fi movies?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Uberwatch, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Gawler

Gawler Senior Member

Australia via Hawaii via Australia via England
    I am tired of sci fi where humans are the dominant life form in space. Where we are venturing out to the great unknown makes for far more compelling watching. 2001 and Alien are as good as sci fi gets.

AustinFrom1995 likes this.
  2. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

Soylent Green
    Logan's Run
    Star Wars (the first one)
    Time After Time
    Alien
    Matrix 1
    Terminator 1
    Ghost In The Shell
    Total Recall
    V for Vendetta
    Starship Troopers (I see it more as "inspired" by the book)
    Dune
    Galaxy Quest
    Resident Evil series
    Appleseed 1 & 2 and Alpha
    District 9
    Iron Sky (as a comedy)
    Serenity
    Oblivion (yes I liked it though I normally dislike Tom Cruise)

peachalulu likes this.
  3. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Nobody mentioned The Sphere??

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Arroz Con Admin Operations Manager Staff Supporter Contributor

I'm not sure why people are running off lists of films or books at all. The thread is about "things I'm tired of seeing in Sci-Fi" not "Sci-Fi films I love/hate".

OurJud likes this.
  5. 123456789

You couldn't get these people to put their names on the top of a page.

OurJud likes this.
  6. 123456789

OK I'll bite. I'm tired of two things in current "sci fi," movies, although of course it's not just limited to sci fi. I also want more of four things.

One. CGI. Makes my eyes glaze over . This doesn't help the OP though as he wants to write scripts....unless he can find a way to write a script that demands no CGI

Two. Young protagonists . I don't want to see another clean shaved prebuscent face, guy or girl. I want adults. Or the kid from Home Alone.

Three. I Love mind bending sci fi. Inception was great. Vanilla sky was great(both of them).

Four. I don't think time travel gets old. And I'm skeptical anyone else is really tired of time travel.

Five. Heart break. You can achieve mind blowing heart breaks that are impossible in real life. A movie that can do this will automatically win its way into my top ten list .

Six. Philosophy . I don't think you see this all the time but it also elevates sci fi. It simply means the sci fi concepts are being used to explore higher level themes, like what is reality, or "wake up" from the Matrix.

Nicoel, Uberwatch, Okon and 2 others like this.
  7. Wreybies

So many kinds of this. Not only this, but the unfettered whining of Gen-X writers extolling how disillusioned they are with the way things turned out and the giant bag of lies we were handed by our Boomer parents without the benefit of all the propaganda they were fed in order to believe it. Seriously, think about it. These post-apocalyptic, hormonally driven stories that dominate YA are written by Gen-Xers, not Millennials.

This honest trailer sums up why I'm in permanent eye-roll.

8. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

Forgot about District 9, it was excellent.

9. 123456789

Holllllllllly **** that trailer !

10. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Wildly experimental Contributor

Fuqyeh, I love Heavy Metal. But what do you mean, "liked"? It's still in print.

And I this is the first time I've made this point (here), but The Fifth Element is the Heavy Metal movie.

11. Uberwatch

Uberwatch Active Member

Don't worry, I'm annoyed by excess CGI. Whenever I write a sci-fi script, practical effects are something I have in mind. CGI is just a tool to help.

12. 123456789

I think that's up to the director/producer

Uberwatch and DaveOlden like this.
  13. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

As many others have noted - I'm so tired of the CGI. I almost feel like movies are going in the opposite direction with the CGI - about 5 years ago they hit their peak and now the CGI looks so "real" it's horribly fake. The first example that comes to mind is in Breaking Dawn (the last twilight movie) where they completely unnecessarily CGI'd the baby. That's not Sci-Fi but the point stands!

I'm also really tired of the standard hero with-depressing-back story is the only one that can save the world from the alien race.

14. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Staff Supporter Contributor

I liked the movie. The one with Taarna. I mean I still do. It's not live-action but I figured I'd mention the movie cos I liked the stories. I haven't read the comics cos they aren't in abundance over here.

What do you mean?

15. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

Alien Nation.

16. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

You can never give characters too much psychological depth, nor too much to care about because they love it (a friend, a labor of love, a cause they believe in, etc.), not just because they obviously "should" care about it (e.g. the fate of the planet).

Science fiction movies are no exception.

17. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Wildly experimental Contributor

I'm so glad you asked!

Luc Besson came up with the idea for The Fifth Element when he was 16 years old. At the time that he wrote it he had just got a subscription to Metal Hurlant.* Originally about the adventures of Zaltman Bleros who worked in a rocket ship factory and won a trip to a science fiction cruise, Besson hoped at the time to be able to submit the story to the magazine, or start his own titacular comic book.

But in between being a teenager and his break out with Atlantis Zaltman Bleros would become Corbin Dallas, and most of his details would be heavily influenced by newer Metal Hurlant story lines. The change from an assembly line worker to taxi driver was bases on Jean-Claude Mézières storyline in the magazine, as well as the gritty New York city in the film.

So when Besson finally had a working script, who did he contact to do the art? Jean-Claude Mézières and Moebius (Jean Giraud), the two Frenchmen who started Metal Hurlant! Together the three of them created over 8,000(!) panels, concepts, storyboards, and renders.

It's not hard to see the bleed of the themes, if you have any experience with Heavy Metal. The vibrant color palette, the solid technology concepts, the strange form fitting fashion, and the tits. Always the tits. There's the grit in yellow of Airtight Garage and Drauna, the strange absurdity of Barberalla. The weird side-kicks, the feckless priests, and the badassery of a hundred Heavy Metal serials. It's all there.

Frankly next to all of that, the Heavy Metal movie is kind of a disappointment, having not been adapted by the artist that drew and wrote the original stories, and having no one from the magazine in a role of any creative authority.

*In French "screaming metal" it would become Heavy Metal when translated into English.

KaTrian likes this.
  18. Megalith

Megalith Contributor Contributor

I'm quite the movie buff so in no particular order… Sci-fi movies that rocked:

Alien - I thought the theme was somewhat gaudy(rape) But It was delivered exceptionally well.(most people didn’t even notice)

Matrix - The first one and Animatrix - It was extremely well directed and had an amazing premise that spawned a complex setting that can still surprise you, even after many watches.
    *SPOILERS*
    Neo:
    Ahhh.
    Oracle: Okay. Now I'm supposed to say, `Umm, that's interesting, but...' then you say...
    Neo: But what?
    Oracle: But you already know what I'm going to tell you.
    Neo: I'm not the one.
    Oracle: Sorry kiddo. You got the gift, but it looks like you're waiting for something.
    Neo: What?
    Oracle: Your next life maybe, who knows? That's the way these things go.
    [Many think the Oracle lied during this whole scene, but she actually set into motion the events which bring about Neo’s realization that he is the one, while saving morpheus life, and without technically lying to him. It took death to convince him he was the one, not Trinities speech about how much she loves him.]

Prometheus - I didn’t like this on the first watch, but only because I thought it was handled haphazardly. But after a more careful review, they did their homework. Although some parts are forced and conveniently explained elsewhere, they did take the time to make it consistent and we'll thought out. It has a lot less plot holes than first impressions give.
    *SPOILERS*

Sunshine - I agree that the ending was a weaker part of the story, and the characters could have had more dimension, but otherwise this is a great film. This movie offers moral conundrums around every corner while something of interest is always happening and by the end I was satisfied with the amount of conflict and resolution given.

Edge of Tomorrow - I really like the premise but it was handled semi-poorly. I can get over time blood but I can’t get over the carelessness in which the aliens handle their ability. I did think how the aliens handled the mishap was pretty clever though.

Moon - Breaking the mold with a clever psychological scifi drama filled with mind numbing twists. No contest, this is one of the best.

Space Odyssey 2001 - The father of modern sci-fi film. This movie inspired a lot of other parts of movies that are on this list and even more that aren’t. Either way the directing in this film is what makes it. The rest is icing on the cake. (HAL breaks in a believable way and the ending is beyond us. ;))

Ghost in the Shell - This movie makes Transcendence look like a children’s movie and it inspired The Matrix. With strong moral and philosophical themes that explore the ideas of consciousness in a very original way.

Redline - This movie is only a favorite for the genre because it is fantasy sci-fi that doesn’t pretend to be an deeper than what it implies. They paint a large world to enthrall your interests in a compelling way. It is definitely shallow but visually stunning, extremely entertaining, and still pretty original.

My Okay sci-fi movie list is huge but most everything else falls in that category.

Transcendence, Lucy, Maze Runner, Elsyium, and Oblivion are below that. Oblivion and Elsyium almost make it to Okay though...

I guess there are a couple sci-fi movies mentioned in this thread that I haven't seen. Can't have that :)

19. Uberwatch

Uberwatch Active Member

Which is also what I want to become. I know what you're saying though.

20. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

In comparison to all the 1950's sci-fi that featured some guy in a rubber suit, I suppose so.

However, we're starting to see a shift, where human's are the bad guys.

My story is going to present them as the bad guys as well, but only to each other. They still can't affect anything off world.

21. PeterC

PeterC Active Member

As others have said I don't like excessive dependence on CGI. I expect a fair amount of CGI in science fiction films, but it's the dependency on it that bothers me.

The lack of real science is also bothersome. I don't want to receive a physics lecture when watching a movie, of course, but if the scientific premise is clearly ridiculous that is a problem.

Also many films try to be too grand and end up falling on their face. I had this problem with Interstellar. Keep the focus on a more personal level and let the grand themes seep in from the sides in a more subtle way. I suppose this could be said of movies (and stories) in many genres, but maybe science fiction is more prone to getting carried away profound ideas than other genres.

One thing that tends to amuse me in some movies, particularly comic book movies, is the so-called large scale destruction they attempt to portray. In the real world large scale destruction involves planetary collisions and supernova explosions, not trivial things like throwing around cars or knocking over buildings. One thing I rather liked about Deep Impact is that it showed a tsunami about 1000 feet high washing inland many miles. My understanding is that could be an actual effect of a large object from space hitting the deep ocean. If anything the movie may have still downplayed it.

Wreybies likes this.
  22. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

If the asteroid belt was actually as crowded as it is in every movie it was ever in, we'd see it like a bright ring, as bright as Saturn's rings.

23. Wreybies

Every few years a sci-fi film comes along that tries to recapture the magic of 2001: A Space Odyssey. I think the mistake they make is in trying to follow a recipe.

1) The Universe makes it known that humans are not alone.
    2) Humans go to out to answer what seems to be an invitation. (They want us at the cool kid's table!)
    3) Insert high-brow, metaphorical/poetic engagement of life in the universe that isn't just a simple: OMG! The aliens! Look! They're right there! OH! MY! GOD! MUST! TOUCH! (because that would be me in real life. Fuck all that metaphor.)

ETA: I had a hard time finding any sort of cohesive story in Interstellar. It felt very patch-work and the ending was obvious (if not the exact nature of that black hole time storage devise). It was gratuitously emotionally manipulative at times and maybe they thought that would be the glue to hold it all together, but not for me.

24. 123456789

The music was good.

25. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

In about the first 30 minutes there was a line that went something like "love transcends both space and time". Now, I am all for foreshadowing, but explicitly telling the audience the quite absurd conclusion to your ridiculous film in the first half an hour is just bloody stupid.