What are you tired of seeing in Sci-Fi movies?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Uberwatch, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

Read a few more posts - add to my like list: Existens, Riddick (all in that series), and there was one TV series that was a good rendition of Dune. Hard to do that one "properly" but it looked good, can't remember which.

2. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

Sci-Fi is one of my favorite genres. I'll even watch all the bad ones, and still get quite a bit of pleasure out of them, if only for a love of the theme.

I will say that I feel one of the biggest issues in Sci-Fi today is the lack of true depth, and of relating it back to reality. I want to see something that draws parallels to what's going on in the world. Most popular screen-writers seem to think that the only way to make a statement is through a drama, and I just don't think that's the case. In fact, I think it'd go further in a more unique category. But in general, it seems that in the screenplay world in right now, we're forgetting the art of movies, aside from the purpose of entertainment.

It's an enormous platform, and has the potential to be used accordingly, I think.

You mentioned District 9, and that is a fantastic example of what I want to see more of. Phenomenal movie. But that was like, how many years ago?

Interstellar was really good, though; I have to give it credit among my complaining.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  3. Aaron DC

Yes I enjoyed District 9 immensely.

Do you mind unpacking this "unique category" concept please? Do you have a film in mind that shows what you mean (sci-fi or otherwise)? And perhaps provide an example or expand on your understanding of "the art of movies".

Thanks!

4. Aaron DC

One thing that really gets my goat in sci-fi movies is emotional scenes. I mean. Seriously. Aliens or GTFO. I realise this POV is incredibly lacking in nuance, but for me, sci-fi is about tech, future or advanced scientific concepts. Science. Fiction. Not fricken tears and sadness. Ugh. That may be why Interstellar - for me - was meh to a large extent (?). I honestly do not remember.

Does anyone else feel the same way? I mean. It's normal to experience and express emotion, but I prefer my science::emotion ration to be highly weighted towards the science, please. If I want emotion I'll watch The Green Mile or I dunno something that's meant to be dramatic.

Cut onions or something. ;)

5. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

GOD, The Green Mile. You really had to go there? :cry:

I think this is where I vary from most Sci-Fi lovers. I like the science-emotion link. I don't want to watch Independence Day redux; I want more.

I mean, I like entertaining movies for the sake of pure entertainment, and there is nothing innately wrong about that. But what I really want to see is something original; draw conclusions based on the current state of events, introduce me to a new way of thinking, bring up a controversial topic. Make a statement. Seduce me. Make me leave the theater questioning what I've known to be true, or itching to explore topics I don't know much about.

I loved Fringe. The show did this quite well, and entertained thoroughly at the same time.

When it comes to "the art of movies," I'm referring to the fact that less screenwriters write about anything original, and take the easy way out more often. I looked at the recently released in theaters category a few months back, and literally every movie but one was a franchise or an adaptation.

I want someone to be original. That thing you've been wanting to say? A screenplay is a great avenue in which to share it.

6. J Faceless

J Faceless Active Member

First off its a sci-fi and starts with background being explained about the world, then i probably won't like it. I like being thrown into a world, without ridiculous explanations, you just have to accept whats going on as you go on the ride. My favorites are the Riddick series, Ghost in the Shell, and especially They Live. I saw that some people don't like them, but i love dystopian tales, the crazier the better.

Okon likes this.
  7. Aaron DC

Thanks No-Name, I appreciate it. And agree - originality is kinda slim pickings at times. Independence Day and its cliched "TEAM AMURKA SAVES THE WORLD" was an ugh fest for me. My screen play is original. It will look like one other movie that exists but not in the same genre, and my IP lawyer secretary friend was very pleased that we had communication documented before we watched the similar film. hah! Or Phew!

I guess the issue is you want something that sells, hence the franchises and remakes. le sigh.

8. Uberwatch

Uberwatch Active Member

With the exception of Independence Day, I'm not a fan of those movies either. I just hate it when something like aliens have a poor excuse to invade the planet and we have a nobody of a protagonist that is apparently "The last hope of Mankind" while being surrounded by people that keep telling him "Only you can save us" and "If you don't do this, it will be the end of Mankind as we know it." Those quotes I just mentioned are obviously cliche and tiresome.

9. Aaron DC

Speaking of Independence Day: I am tired of seeing Team America coming to the rescue -every- -single- -time-. Ugh, give me a break.

10. Ben414

Ben414 Contributor Contributor

I'm tired of seeing science and/or fiction in my sci-fi.

11. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

How about something you've not seen? We've had all the usual space ships, new planets, aliens and blowing up asteroids (or just moving to higher ground) but what about if we moved the planet ...

How would that affect our eco system, how would it affect our daily life?

12. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Actually, moving the entire Earth has been done in a few science fiction stories already :)

cutecat22 likes this.
  13. cutecat22

Which ones?

14. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

There has been more than one. The one that stands out - I wanna say it is from the 70s or 80s. I read it as a kid. They had to get the earth out of the way of some cosmic event. I'll try to find the title.

cutecat22 likes this.
  15. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

In the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons, Earth is moved to the Magellanic Cloud galaxy, I believe. Everyone thinks it was destroyed by a man-made black hole, but in reality it was moved.

cutecat22 likes this.
  16. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

If it's an American movie, I kind of get this, though. They aren't really obligated to make the Chinese or Australians or Israeli the heroes.

I think the mighty army of my home country (106 pimply youths plus 12 paunchy reservists) should be called to the rescue the next time Earth is in trouble. We'd show them! We'd throw pinecones, chunks of ice, and beer bottles at them. Yeah, I'd run too.

Nicoel, Simpson17866, Mckk and 2 others like this.
  17. Aaron DC

Hence why I love foreign films :D

Simpson17866 likes this.
  18. cutecat22

You have to admit, Independence Day did try to include the other nationalities in a combined attack against the extra terrestrials - they communicated their plan via Morse code although, technically, the Americans were still in charge ...

19. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

We have a larger military than the next ten countries combined. So yeah, if there's going to be an terrestrial army, the US is going to be stepping up to the plate. Maybe you can make a movie about France contributing 1/20th to the military might of earth. I don't think a lot of people would watch that movie though*.

*because French movies are terrible.

Hubardo likes this.
  20. Aaron DC

Size doesn't matter. Effectiveness does. If America had actually managed to win any of the last 5 wars they started in the name of oil democracy "freedom" you might have a point.

I'd watch 20 French movies before an American blech fest adaptation of same.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    Hubardo likes this.
  21. Jack Asher

I'll bite. What do you think are the last 5 wars we started?
    Okay, let play a game. You name 20 French movies, and I'll name one American one. For every french movie that someone has seen you get one point. For every American movie that someone has seen, I'll get a point and we'll see who has more points.

Edited to add: and in the spirit of the thread, make them Sci-fi movies. I'm sure the French have a huge number so it won't be hard for you.

22. Aaron DC

In this game, we're doing military dick size comparison, and I am arguing size is irrelevant if you can't get the job done.

How about you name one war in the 21st century you've won, and we can work back from there?

But what I said was,

Not sure if your blood mist precludes comprehension, but how about you show me one American adaptation of French film that trumps the original?

Pick any Luc Besson movie as a starting point.

23. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

:chill:
    Careful gentlemen, keep it civil. Also, the army size tangent has gone on long enough, so let's drop that and stick to the topic of sci-fi.

24. Jack Asher

You know that Besson has released every major movie in the states with an American producer/distributer. Just because the director is French does not make the film French. The wiki on American remakes of French films lists 60, the most popular of which would have to be The Birdcage. But in keeping with the theme the American release was much better received on Rotten Tomatoes. Other than Taxi none of them are by Besson, so I really don't know what your talking about.

25. Jack Asher

Whoops! Cross post. Edited.