Tags:
  1. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

What are you writing now?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Harmonices, Feb 22, 2019.

A snappy argument between a grandfather and his smartarse grandson?
    An interlude, describing the way the morning sunlight falls across an ancient ruin?
    A fight between two homesick, weary old soldiers.
    A conversation at night between a girl and her black cat familiar.

Do tell all.

jannert likes this.
  2. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

Not writing a scene at all. Trying to create an outline for future scenes, patching together the ones I've already written in a linear order, so the story threads make sense.

Should the dragon scouts fly to seek out the mysterious SeaKin before Cregg the giant finds the ancient runes that are the key to his Geomantic powers? Or should the SeaKin tell them where the caves containing the markings may be found.

Yes, the latter I think.

o_O

jannert likes this.
  3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

A scene involving a human couple arguing with two members of a higher race over the fate of the humans' baby.

Harmonices and jannert like this.
  4. DK3654

DK3654 Almost a Productive Member of Society Contributor

Three of my characters at a cafe for a stakeout, waiting for some people to pass by.

Harmonices likes this.
  5. Albaman

Albaman Member

A young woman coming to terms with the fact that her father, whom she's always believed to be dead, is in fact still alive and post probably, a murderer.

minstrel and Harmonices like this.
  6. Reece

Reece Senior Member

Trying to figure out how to start the next chapter. Last one ended with MC getting to know the brother she didn't realize she had. I need to start setting the building blocks for a couple of major plot line romances, and I need her to start learning to fight so she can eventually be bad ass, but before all that she needs to sit down and have a talk with her newly rediscovered father and learn a bit about the mother she has almost all but forgotten. I just have too much crap to get into right now, and I'm having a hard time figuring out where to start. Suppose I will mosey on over to my spreadsheet and see what I drafted in for this chapter so that I can then change it entirely.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

TC: It is the third day since my tuple (3fMC+mMC) have received their bracelets (talismans) from a funny old woman. The stinging at their wrists is compelling them away from the house, where an exterminator truck next door will catch fire and poison the air. When they come home they will understand why they were told to burn the talismans, on the third night.
    Someone is going to visit them tomorrow.

TNT: T +day 1. The asteroid shower is over. Truman Baker, the only survivor of the succession, is the last President. He's just been handed the remains of a cheese-gratered nation. 49 million of the fortunate-mangled are looking to him. He's just been told how screwed we are.

ThunderAngel and Seven Crowns like this.
  8. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

This post. :p

No really, a war poem. Spoken from the spirit of a great dead warrior to his eager-to-prove-himself great grandson.

Cave Troll likes this.
  9. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Writing a story about an ex-Blackwater merc who guards a secret bunker. He's loyal, meticulous, rather rustic. Picture a salt-of-the-earth great uncle who dismantles a tractor engine in neat piles and then rebuilds it working like new. That sort of guy. None of the guards know what's going on inside the bunker, but this guy has his suspicions. Late at night he can feel the rumble of the bunker's lifts receding into the earth. They run too deep. No one would build something like this, not for sane purposes. He picks up other clues too. Then he notices the researchers acting strangely. From there it's all about paranoia and how he must re-evaluate his loyalties.

So it's the locked room trope with the MC needing to defy his own nature. He must become what he hates most.

Completely finished the first scene. It's cool as hell. (Well, to me. I always write for me.) Plotted everything else out. Trying to stay under 5000 words. I think it's possible . . .

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  10. Ruckus

Ruckus Banned

A short story (I thought about taking it to a full novel but eh) about a long married couple who begin to confess old secrets to each other to pick up their boring lives. Soon they run out of secrets to tell each other. Instead of falling back into their old ways they decide to go about their days finding ways to create new secrets to confess. The problems start when they grow tired of the small connfessions and start creating major, usually illegal, secrets to share with each other.

I have a few ideas of where I want to take this story.... but that is basically where I am at right now.

11. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

I am planning out how to rewrite an old story I wrote... cutting out the fat and keeping the good. Right now I am making a timeline, I have all the events I want to keep in word ballons and slowly decided the chapter and orders for them.

the story starts with a Prologue of the MC getting shot and wondering a void seeing past events in her life.

Cave Troll likes this.
  12. hirundine

hirundine Contributor Contributor

I'm not writing any scenes right now, because I've just taken my novel back to the drawing board. I'm in the middle of writing down notes on character goals and obstacles (I'm pretty much done with that part now I think), notes on how I want my characters to develop throughout the story, oh and some statements for a game of Fact or Fiction the characters play that helps to advance the plot.

13. Alex R. Encomienda

Alex R. Encomienda Contributor Contributor

I'm currently working on an existential project involving two sexual deviants. One is a pervert and the other is a mysogonist.

14. Asher Janos Hawthorne

Asher Janos Hawthorne Member

Working on the intro to a story about an alien abductee who becomes a space mercenary...it's slow going.

Cave Troll likes this.
  15. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

Just completed an apprenticeship choosing scene for my dragon younglings. First major setback for our hero, he's forced to become a hunter (brutal drudgery) instead of a scout (freedom and discovery), despite his inappropriately small size, Mainly because the Mistress of the Hunt is greedy and selfish, and she convinces the Queen that there may be a fledgling romance between the young princess and the small black drackon.

Reece likes this.
  16. ThunderAngel

ThunderAngel Contributor Contributor

Two very secretive people aboard an ocean liner are finding themselves rapidly growing closer together because of the omens one has been having and an inexplicable threat that the other encounters on a lower deck.

17. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Still the same damn story sequel I have been working on
    for the last 2 years. Space, Aliens, Mil, and all the fun things
    that come with brutally assaulting a planet, and all that
    fun stuff. Twist being the Aliens are the good guys. :)

Magus, Harmonices, Some Guy and 2 others like this.
  18. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Just finished revising the first hairbrushing scene in book 1.
    Now I need to make a minor revision to the preceding scene, where the antagonist tries to get the current MC to kill them.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Harmonices and Cave Troll like this.
  19. Ruckus

Ruckus Banned

I am writng what I thought was going to be a short story but it seems that it wants to me more then that. I don't know what yet bit I know it sure is one hell of a crappy first draft. Not that it was meant to be great, at this point its just me telling the story to myself.

Harmonices and Some Guy like this.
  20. Kaitlin Gil

Kaitlin Gil Member

I'm stuck halfway through the 10th chapter in my novel. It's difficult writing from a guy's POV since I'm a girl. But I think my main problem is figuring out how I'm going to get from this point in my book to the next major point that I've got planned in my head.

Harmonices likes this.
  21. Kaitlin Gil

Kaitlin Gil Member

Hey, the best story is one that takes on a life of its own! And every first draft is complete shit. I know mine was!

Cave Troll likes this.
  22. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

A scene where a woman slowly dying from some jacked up stim implants that can't be removed gets unwittingly diagnosed by an abandoned, automated, alien, multispecies hospital (where the original occupants clearly had a very different idea concerning medical consent) and gets sucked into the internal workings of the hospital (it all still works after untold millennia thanks to Clarke's 3rd Law), where the diagnostic programming, never having come across her species until very recently, but still able to ascertain that her body is failing compared to the other humans with which it has come into contact, decides that the only course of action is to ditch the bod and upload her into an artificial carapace, something vaguely reminiscent of a Garthim, the closest model in its repertoire to a humanoid form. Imagine waking up to that post-op.

[​IMG]

23. Reece

Reece Senior Member

My body is so ready for https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6905542/

Cave Troll likes this.
  24. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

Working on my Blurb... the Fucking Blurb.... erh...

There's this girl, she likes adventure... buy my goddamn book or i'll come visit you at night. :p .

25. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    :superagree:
    Dreadnought.jpg