1. TheLeonard112

TheLeonard112 Sūpākūru Senpai

Bucket List

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TheLeonard112, Mar 28, 2013.

Just have one question. What is your bucket list? All the things you wanna do before you die. I'm just curious. And you know what they say, curiosity kills the cat, but it doesn't matter because the cat already finished his bucket list.

2. SwampDog

SwampDog Senior Member

Keelhaul those that write the personal pronoun I with a lower-case i, and pepper their texts with gonna, wanna, and other naff words of that ilk. :p ;)

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I follow the Irish bucket list:

Over the course of your life, all the beer and liquor you spill goes into a bucket. After you pass, you're lowered headfirst into yon bucket, and if you drown, to hell with ya.

4. CommanderEVE

CommanderEVE Member

I want to make sure I do some good in this world before I die, I do not want to be forgotten. Thats it, nothing more. I do not believe materialism.

5. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown Senior Member

Part of my bucket list is that I'd like to do some more travelling. I've seen much of the east coast of the U.S. But I'd like to see the Rocky Mountains and more of the Pacific coast of the U.S.

I'd also love to see Australia.

The only reason I'm not currently travelling is because I can't afford it. But when I can, I'll start travelling once again.

6. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

Traveling is one of the things on my list. Iceland is probably the top place on the list of places I want to see. I also want to try glass blowing. Learning archery is on that list as well. I am hoping to do that in the near future. I have a lot of things I want to do. When I was diagnosed with the spinal tumor I gave up on even having dreams for a very long time. Then I got to the other side of that and realized life is short and fragile and that I needed to live to the fullest. :)

7. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

My friend recently went there and got to see the aurora borealis. She showed me some of the video footage she took, and it was absolutely amazing to watch. I would love to see the northern lights in real life. Maybe one day...

8. TerraIncognita

Seeing the aurora borealis is definitely on my list. It must be a breathtaking sight to see in person. :)

9. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

Skydiving or paragliding.

10. northernadams

northernadams Member

YES!!!

11. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I want to hold a printed, hardcover, leather-bound copy of my novel in my hands. Of course, it's unlikely that that will be made by a publishing house, so I'll have to learn the craft of bookbinding!

12. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I've been to Iceland. We saw the aurora from the plane but it didn't appear any night we were there with clear skies. But we saw a whole lot of other fantastic stuff.

As for the aurora, I've seen it 4 different times from my house in Bellevue (Seattle suburb). The solar max is still supposed to be on the way though the typical pattern is a tad off this season. How far south are you and are you east of the Cascades? Because with dark clear skies, even in OR you can probably see the aurora on a rare occasion from there.

I've done a lot. But my bucket is bottomless.

13. thirdwind

I live near Portland. I've never heard of anyone seeing the aurora here, so I'm guessing it's just not possible to see the aurora this far south.

14. GingerCoffee

It is possible. It's just rare. You have to be dedicated because you have to see it on one of the rare nights it's clear in Portland and visible that far south. But it actually does happen.

One of the nights I saw it here in Bellevue, it was visible all the way south to Arizona. Here it was a fantastic light show. In AZ the sky only glowed red. But that night, Portland would have had a great view.

15. thirdwind

Wow, I didn't know that. Did you get a clear view of the aurora? I'd imagine it would be hard to see it clearly with the city lights and all that.

16. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I've seen the aurora several times at my family's cottage in eastern Ontario, at about one degree of latitude further south than Portland.

17. GingerCoffee

The times I saw it from here, I had an incredible view. Two of the times it was columns of light stretching up in the sky, once it was moving ribbons, but the time it was visible all the way to AZ, the sky overhead was like an unimaginable kaleidoscope of of flashing angular sections. I've not seen any aurora movies that come close but that's what it looked like.

The city lights were not a problem when it was visible. But there have been times it was supposed to be visible and I never saw it. People further out of town did.

18. Bee Kay

Bee Kay New Member

Is it really so bad when one chooses to write colloquially, though? When I'm communicating through text and intend to have that text imitate my own voice, I use all sorts of words I'd never dream of admitting to in an academic setting. Having been raised in Southern California, I have an arsenal of dudes and rads and hellas at my disposal, and in lax conversation, I prefer not to sacrifice my informality for the sake of an all-hours literary back brace.

More toward the topic, one of the things I absolutely must do is... ahhh! I want to visit Tashirojima!! It's an island off the coast of Japan that's infested with stray cats. There are more feline denizens than humans! Oh, man, I'd really love to have a tiny house on that Cat Island, but even visiting would be great. Another item on my bucket list is to become fluent in at least one other language. English just isn't enough; but I should be more studious...

19. GingerCoffee

I saw a piece on that island after the big tsunami. The island missed the brunt or had high ground or something. I was so curious I looked at all kinds of Net things on the island from people's tourist pics and summaries to Google Earth closeups. I've been to Japan but there were thousands more places in the country I'd like to see. :D

Spanish is the easiest language to learn. I can communicate in Spanish but am far from fluent. French is supposed to the the most useful as far as the world is concerned. My son studied Japanese. It came in handy when we traveled there.

I think everyone would benefit more from learning a second language than they realize.

20. Bee Kay

Bee Kay New Member

Japan has this really excellent collection of fascinating islands, it seems! I'd love to be able to hop around all of them, even moreso than the mainland... I'm not exceptionally inclined to travel, but certain places like that make me want to get up and run over there, haha.

You know, Spanish is probably the one language I ought have learned by now... Half of my family is from Mexico, and when my Tío passed away and I attended his funeral, I found I couldn't... communicate with many of them. Oops! Despite this, I haven't done well with learning it, mainly because I try to study so many languages at once instead of committing to one... I end up stuck in the beginning stages of many languages. Too much waffling.

21. GingerCoffee

We spent a week on Kyushu after a week on the main island. The Aso volcano was recently active. I love volcanos. I've seen active or recently active ones in Iceland, Japan, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Hawaii, and of course Mt St Helens in my home state of WA.

Immersion is the best way to learn a language. I had a dozen classes in Spanish in grade school and high school. It wasn't until I got to college and the professor taught the class in Spanish that I learned it, and then it took traveling in Central America to push me over the edge of actually speaking spontaneously in a conversation.

Later I took another class in college and I almost failed because I got so many things wrong on paper. But I talked myself into a reasonable grade because I was the only one in the class that could actually carry on a conversation in Spanish. :)

The thing about Spanish, people love you for trying to speak in their language.

22. TerraIncognita

Ugh! I am jealous! You guys have seen so many cool things! If you have pics of the aurora or Japan please post them. :) Japan is another place on my list of places I really want to see. It's a very long list. haha My boyfriend also wants to see Japan because his mom was really into Japanese culture and wanted to visit. She passed away shortly after having him and he feels he needs to go and visit in her stead. I think it would be a wonderful way to honor her memory.

23. Delusion of Reference

Delusion of Reference New Member

I'd like to travel, to finish something I've started, and to live in complete isolation for a protracted period of time.