1. mar-iposa

mar-iposa Member

What are your favorite sports?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by mar-iposa, Oct 9, 2020.

What are your favorite sports/teams to follow? Please feel free to share your favorite moments, players... anything you can wax poetic about if you'd like.

Alternatively, if you don't follow any sports, why not?

As for me:
    I wasn't a fan of any sports for most of my life. My father has always followed the soccer/football league from his home country, so I have fond memories of that league but not necessarily the sport. The city I grew up in has a baseball team, so I also grew up attending baseball games but I never understood the game until 2017; since then, I've learned the rules and have become a huge baseball fan. I enjoy the analytics that surround baseball and the strategy that goes into pitcher-batter duels. I also love that games do not have a timer, so both teams have an equal amount of opportunity (determined by outs) to turn the tide in their favor.

2. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Cricket.

I used to play a lot of racquet sports when I was younger, but having lost most of my left foot, I don't think I'll be doing that any more.

My favourite moment? Probably Stuart Broad's 8-15 vs the Australians at Trent Bridge - which will mean absolutely nothing anyone outside the Commonwealth nations (and quite a lot of people in the Commonwealth nations too).

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    mar-iposa likes this.
  3. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Track and Field.

I love running! I used to race the boys in elementary school and whenever we played tag, no one could catch me and when I was "it"... no one wanted to play anymore.
    My brother is older than me by 2 years, so when he went to Junior High School, he says "hey, did you know that there is a sport where all you do is run?"

That became my sport lol.
    I hated cross-country (I didnt have the stamina, and I hated the cold).
    I did long jump, triple jump, all of the sprints except hurtles (55, 100, 200, 300, 400, and occasionally the 500, and relay). I was captain of the relay in middle school/junior high, summer track (we made it to Junior Olympics), and in high school and 2 years in college.

I saw Jamaica vs USA live during Penn Relays 2 years and it was awesome!

my best memories and my worst are linked to Track, including 2 knee surgeries (issues unrelated to the sport, but the sport just kind of made it worse until finally in college, i had to give it up...).

Ironically, I hated long distance back then, but now, all I can do is 5ks and 10ks.

(I guess i should edit to answer the question haha! I follow T&F, especial olympic trials and qualifiers. I enjoy watching the Caribbean teams.... Jamaica and Bahama. Nigeria is starting to get a decent speed team. Sorry, guys, but none of the European teams really do anything for me. They are just 'ok'. USA's women are retiring so we shall see what the noobs have to offer. A noob for team USA mens... We had the same track coach when we were in middle school, haha! Im friends with coach on Facebook, and he posts videos of his races)

mar-iposa and Steve Rivers like this.
  4. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

I love watching sport. Liverpool FC is my first love. Then the Toronto Raptors for basketball (I've been watching those sods since 1999 when I first got into basketball. Them being Canadians in the American league made them stand out for me, and I felt sorry for them having never won a title. And...well....VELOCIRAPTORS! What a couple of years for me. Raptors winning their first NBA ever in 2019 and then Liverpool winning their first league title for thirty years this year!)

Snooker is my "chill out" sport to watch.

And screw Formula 1, the most exciting motorsport you can possibly hope to watch is Formula E. Every race is wheel-to-wheel, the cars are more even, there's overtaking every lap, the tactical speed boosts stolen from Mario-Kart work AMAZING and you NEVER know who is going to win from week-to-week. It makes F1 look like a really boring and dull old fuddy-duddy in comparison. F1's political and fat-cat team mentality is dragging the sport down while FE is REALLY making it look bad by doing everything right.

Like JT, i like a bit of athletics too. From what I understand, it gets a bit more public attention in the UK than it does in the US, probably because the BBC shows it so much (because it cant afford any other sports anymore heh). Diamond League meetings where you dont know the athletes so much can be fun to watch.
    Although my guilty pleasure is the Winter Olympics for one sport and one sport alone - Curling. ANY sport that involves scrubbing the floor with a brush is so eccentric that it demands attention. :D

Historical Science and mar-iposa like this.
  5. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Urgh. I can' stand FE. I've tried, I really have, but it's just so fake and forced. Boost zones and fan boost. Give me a break. You're right, it is like Mario cart. Silly. More so, it's booooooring. Constant overtaking is boring because the overtakes lose their importance. It needs to be a big deal. It needs to be an achievement. And yeah, you don't know who will win because each race is pretty much a lottery, not the best winning because they're the best. Besides, I don't like spec series apart from F2. And the cars are ugly as hell, designed for 'future' looks than actual performance. Speaking of performance, they're not very quick. F1 may not be perfect, but it's the sport for me, specifically:

[​IMG]

I also like the NFL.

EFMingo and mar-iposa like this.
  6. Lazaares

Lazaares Contributor Contributor

I'm an anachronistic freak but you can't deny HEMA is awesome.

There's also ... full-contact jousting. Mmmm.

7. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

I'm not a huge sports fan. Like any good American I watch the Super Bowl every year, but I like live baseball when I get the chance to go, even though I don't really follow the sport that closely. I'm looking forward to watching some college ball this spring, fingers crossed that they'll be able to play. I like the experience. "Take Me out to the Ball Game," hotdogs, catching stray balls--ya know.

mar-iposa likes this.
  8. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Batshit Boston sports nut here. Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, and Bruins. And I'm completely unavailable when football is on. Been decades since anyone asked me to do something on Sundays.

9. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

:superlaugh:What's more forced and fake than a pre-determined car winning each week because the top 3 teams have more money than everyone else and they wont let anyone change that status quo?

10. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Is there professional mini-golf yet?
    That would be different, and probably
    get more expletives when things don't
    go their way. :p

mar-iposa likes this.
  11. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

http://proputters.org/

Over 60 years of Professional Putt-Putt

Cave Troll likes this.
  12. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

I like this guy.

I mostly just follow the two footballs, specifically Liverpool FC and Indianapolis Colts, but usually try to catch the NBA playoffs/finals and some March Madness as well.

I sort-of-kind-of follow Rangers FC (Scotland) and Borussia Dortmund (Germany) now because of their connections with Liverpool.

13. DarkWoods

DarkWoods Active Member

I love spending time in the outdoors doing standup paddleboard, hiking, cycling, crosscountry skiing and also boxing.