?

thoughts on "relationship advice" forums?

1. postive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. negative

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. neutral/mixed/depends

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Oldmanofthemountain

Oldmanofthemountain Active Member

What are your thoughts on any type of "relationship advice" subs or forums?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Oldmanofthemountain, Oct 3, 2021.

You know the subreddits and forums, where users go for advice on any type of relationship (usually on partners, parents/siblings, siblings, etc.) problems? What are your personal thoughts and experiences on/with those types of forum, if any? Are they useful for assistance or should one avoid touching them?

I'm not going in depth with my personal views on them, as it got derided as "babbling gobbledygook drivel" last time I did that. However, I don't really care for them much, and as they come across as quite toxic to me.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  2. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

The only kind of relationship advice I've found useful on forums is for business relationships. Everything else is dangerous.

Oldmanofthemountain likes this.
  3. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

I was really big into them when i was in middle school. Seventeen Magazine had one.
    And when i got into high school (mainly 9th and 10th grade) i was less of the asker and more of an answerer.

For middle school me, it was helpful. I'd never been in a relationship. The first boy that kissed me, i hit in the face (reflex) and ran, so i was kinda lacking on that front. And i didnt have many female friends.
    So, internet i went.

I never had a need for them as an adult. Never used them for friends or family advice (that i remember) either.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  4. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

That would be some succinct relationship advice.

"Dear, JT, what should I do when my boyfriend--"

"Hit him in the face and run."

"Dear, JT, how can I communicate better--"

"Hit. Face. Run."

5. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

off to a rocky start, haha

J.T. Woody likes this.
  6. Travalgar

Travalgar Active Member

The problems with most personal discussions with strangers are:
    1. The only good advice they can give you is no advice at all, because they would realize that they knew nothing about your personal life, making them unable to give any meaningful inputs,
    2. Anything else beyond that might even be dangerous to carry out for the same reason, like being asked to carry a knife to a dark alley.

7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

if it was without consent your reflexes were good :D

Personally i use those boards (and other such reddits) as sources for inspiration of shitty things people do to each other... i'd never use any of them for real advice on a real world problem

8. Oldmanofthemountain

Oldmanofthemountain Active Member

Man, it honestly feels good to have users agreeing with me here. Last time I shared my frustrations and opinions with the current state of "relationship advice" forums and subs, I was mocked as an "angry man shouting at the clouds" and was promptly shut down. I know this is a very cliche and bottom of the barrel type of comment, but man I love how no one is being condescending or judgmental in their replies in this thread.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  9. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Irony is..... Now i need (family) relationship advice :superthink:

10. Midlife Maniac

Midlife Maniac Active Member

Unlike money, advice seems easier to give than to receive. I don’t even dabble in such forums because from personal experience, most people asking for advice have no intention on following it. They just need someone to give them some attention (which also seems to be the crux of a large part of relationship issues)

I’ve also not spent time on the receiving end of this equation. Mostly because I keep my private life extremely private and also I’m not very patient with relationship issues. If we can’t resolve an issue after a few open and honest conversations, it’s probably not a relationship worth salvaging. That last bit would be a personal perspective, definitely not free advice to any of you fine people!