What author influenced you most, to pursue writing?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Ashley Harrison, Feb 18, 2016.

1. M. E. Russell

M. E. Russell New Member

Woah, so many.

If I had to choose one, I believe it would have to be Charles De Lint. His writing style encouraged me to trust my ideas. Just so long as they are documented, progress can be made.

Steerpike likes this.
  2. Ezekiel2517

Ezekiel2517 New Member

in the very beginning, I would say Stephen King. But once I hit college it is and always will be Bret Easton Ellis

3. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

I'm worried about that, he may be a good writer, but he has some views that are a bit toxic. Especially women, he doesn't seem to genuinely hold women in contempt or anything, but he doesn't understand how some of the things he says are a bit degrading/overly-pointed about them.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Have to separate the artist from the art at some point.

5. Oscar Leigh

But views influence your work, sometimes even without you meaning it to. And I just meant that it brings up worried thoughts, I didn't say you can't like his work or that you shouldn't. Heck, I want to read/watch American Psycho.

6. Ashley Harrison

Ashley Harrison Active Member

Bret Easton Ellis is good, I like the podcast he does as well.

7. Oscar Leigh

Hey, seeing as you didn't reply on your profile, are you blocking me? Please could we not have bad blood over that one argument? I really don't like that kind of judgement. Haven't you ever angrily argued with someone you like, or even love?

8. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

Here are a few that come to mind right away to my caffeine deprived mind.

Stephen King - What can I really say about King that you don't already know?

Niel Gaiman - I love his fantasy writings and how he puts new twists on classic shorties. (short stories)

Natsou Kirino - Pick up a book by her on a random day, like the sense of mystery and story telling.

Poppy Z Brite - (now known as Billy Martian) I have read one of her books called Drawing Blood at least 10 times. great characters and descriptive settings.

Hunter S Thomson - His Journalism style makes you feel like you are right there with him, great writings.

9. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

I think Robin Hobb was one of my major influences, more specifically her Farseer Trilogy, as, to me, it is the epitome of what a fantasy series should be like. I have also enjoyed her other series, such as The Liveship Traders and The Rain Wilds Chronicles. All three series are set in the same universe and are full with the history of that particular world, magic (such as the Wit which allows a human and an animal to form a mental and spiritual connection to each other to the point of almost becoming one mind), love, loss, battles, flawed characters, drama, intrigue, and wolves (which just so happen to be one of my favourite animals). Would recommend her work to anyone!

10. Ashley Harrison

Neil Gaiman is a legend in literary circles. Do you also like George Carlin's books?

11. Ashley Harrison

I've never heard of Robin Hobb, he doesn't write book series, like 'The Maze Runner' and 'Divergent' does he?

12. DeadMoon

I don't believe I have read any of his books... yet

13. Ashley Harrison

I highly recommend them. If you're a fan of Bill Hicks, as I see his quote on your signature, I think you'll enjoy his books. They're just as good as his stand up comedy routines.

14. DeadMoon

I will have to check them out. Like Hick's, Carlin was very smart and has influenced many comics. He also was intelligent and loves words and how they worked together.

15. Ashley Harrison

You're absolutely right. :) A very sad loss to this world, both Carlin and Hicks, they only told it how it was.

16. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

'She', haha, and no she doesn't ... she wrote the Farseer series in the 90's and her works are considered more like high or epic fantasy, akin to The Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the Rings, (a much calmer/less gory and sexualised) Game of Thrones and anything similar

17. Ashley Harrison

Sorry about that. :) I shouldn't assume she was a he, especially when my name is unisex too. People always assume 'Ashley' is just a female's name. I'll remember that for future reference.

Robin Hobb seems more my sort of author, if her writing resembles 'Lord of the Rings' and 'Game of Thrones', than 'Divergent' and 'The Maze Runner'. I'll check her out when I'm next in the library.

A.S.Ford likes this.
  18. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

That's okay, for years (I first read her books when I was about 13) I assumed she was male as well until I researched into her a bit more a couple of years ago, haha. Yeah, I have always preferred that style of fantasy (Hobb, Tolkein, Martin, Lewis etc.) rather than some of the newer works. I hope you enjoy her books ... I would recommend reading The Assassin's Apprentice (the first book in the Farseer trilogy) as that was my introduction to her works and, consequently, my favourite book written by her :)

Ashley Harrison likes this.
  19. Ashley Harrison

Thank you for the suggestion, it's always nice to get a recommendation from another person, that loves writing and writes themselves. I've noticed you get much better books being discussed, than the average person that is only a reader of fiction. I'll get moving on that trip to the library sooner now, rather than later. :)

20. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Hobb also published a number of works under the name Megan Lindholm, if you haven't read them.

21. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

You're welcome :) and, yes, I have noticed that too, haha. Have fun reading!

Ashley Harrison likes this.
  22. Ashley Harrison

Thank you Steerpike. I definitely wouldn't have got caught out, assuming 'Megan' was a female and look silly, I hope I wouldn't anyway. :D

23. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

Thank you, I hadn't realised she also wrote under a pseudonym so will have to look into those other books :)

24. Deloctyte

Deloctyte Member

Terry Pratchett, Jorge Luis Borges, and the usual sci-fi/fantasy classics (Asimov, Tolkien, etc.).
    But to be perfectly honest, the one writer that influenced me to pursue writing more than anything was Stephenie Meyer.

No, wait, put the pitchforks down, hear me out here...

While all the writers I adored as a kid and an adult made me love consuming and creating stories, it is Meyer and her kind that told me that anyone can be published. It might sound a bit mean spirited, but that's the truth. With a cry of "If they can do it, so can I', I've been working hard on making something released since. :)

25. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Neither of these is glamorous particularly - but back in the Eighties, Nineteen-Eighties, George Orwell overwhelmed all others, was taught in English schools - Animal Farm, 1984, and I read every one, well, most of his arid prose up to 'Aspidistra,' even his rare, back then, 'Homage.' I feel kind of sad I did not spread my wings wider at the time - to other writers. Same goes for poetry - Larkin, Larkin, Larkin, but still love Larkin.

I suppose today's generation equally must suffer the orthodoxy of Michael Morpego, Rowling, CAD, David Walliams hoh, hoh, kneejerk, nazi at fireside, cough, cough, cough.