1. bahloo

bahloo New Member

Brian Jacques

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by bahloo, Feb 11, 2010.

As a kid, I loved this guy. His books inspired me to read and probably inspired me to write my own stories as well. He is the man. Has anyone else read much of his stuff/grown up with the Redwall books? I'd have to say my favorite's are Redwall and Salamandastron. Mattimeo is dope too. I just love how Jacques brings life to woodland creatures.

2. JCKey618

JCKey618 Member

Currently listening to Mossflower on audiobook after finishing Redwall some time ago. I'm 22 and read a few of them as a kid. I eventually plan to read/listen to them all.

3. jacklondonsghost

jacklondonsghost New Member

I own every book he ever wrote; they were my favorite series when I was younger. I was always impressed at myself for reading such long books. He really knows how to tell a story, and his descriptions are fantastic and interesting.

4. Wavanova

Wavanova Member

I was a huge fan of Jacques too when I was a kid. Much like bahloo, Redwall was by far my favorite, but Salamandastron was a close second. I actually remember doing a book report on Salamandastron in Grade 6 or 7.

My other favorites were Martin the Warrior, Mattimeo, Lord Brocktree, and The Taggerung. I also read Mossflower, Mariel of Redwall, The Bellmaker, Outcast of Redwall, The Long Patrol, Marlfox, and Triss. Good memories :D

5. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

Excellent writer, the Redwall books captivated my young mind with their depth of description and fantastic characters. I always looked forward to the illustrations and the land map. Indeed some of my favorite books.

6. whiskeyjameson

whiskeyjameson Member

Absolutely loved the books. I read these growing up and they sucked me in till the end. One of few books I can honestly say that every page was a delight to read.

Best, Whiskey

7. bahloo

bahloo New Member

Yeah, although I haven't read any of his new ones (The Taggerung and Triss), I am planning to read them. Every story has almost an identical plot line, but that doesn't take away any of the excitement. I personally love the way that the Redwall Abbey was portrayed, as well as his descriptions of feasts. I always could go for a fresh cup of Dandelion Fizz! It really is a marvel that the man isn't obese with food descriptions like that.

8. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    Loved them when I was young.

Learning what furries are ruined the books for me.

9. benny

benny New Member

When I was younger I loved his books. Actually, they were the only books I would even pick up. Martin the Warrior and Mossflower were amazing.

I lost interest because I couldn't read as fast as I aged, and had no interest in fantasy after a certain point... Not to mention all his plots are the same and I wasn't as interested in the newer characters as I was the original characters.

Great books, though. They really got me interested in writing as a kid. Actually, it was a long time ago but I don't think I would be trying to write today if I hadn't read Jacques as a kid.

10. Afterburner

Afterburner Active Member

I never read a single one of his books as a kid. I may have to change that now lol.

11. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    They are formulaic and predictable at the best of times but damn it, I read every single one of them that I could find as a kid!

12. Mouser

Mouser New Member

I used to love Brian Jacques, it was the only thing I would read when I was younger! But yes, every single book is the same. All the characters are the same. And I'd still read them again.

13. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

I've read the entire Redwall series and loved it. I also read his stories about Ben and Ned, who are from(In order):

Curse of the Flying Dutchman
    Angel's Command
    And omg I forgot the last two x.x

But yeah, I definately love Brain Jacques, I'm currently working on buying his all of his works (which is super hard considering I can't walk into a bookstore without wasting $20 or more). But yeah, if you haven't read the tales of Ben and Ned, you totally should, they're just as great as the Redwall series.

14. lavendershy

lavendershy New Member

I still read a book or two on occasion. And yes, the Ben and Ned ones are as good as the Redwall ones, if not better. I devoured those a couple of years ago. Read them over and over and over again.

15. black-radish

black-radish New Member

I read all his books, my favorite were the mossflower ones. I loved them when I was a kid.. In fact, I still love them!

It was the first fantasy book I read and has inspired me to write fantasy aswell!

16. Prometheus21

Prometheus21 New Member

As a kid, I grew up reading Brian Jacques and Redwall. My favorite was definitely Martin. I started to stop reading the books after a while. I think the Taggerung was the last one I read. I also started the Castaways series, but was dissappointed with the second one. Brian Jacques is definitely an author that I will read to my kids and suggest they read on their own when they get old enough.

17. enigma8498

enigma8498 New Member

I grew up on these. I read a lot of them but only owned Redwall and Martin the Warrior. I've read them at least 20 times each. I even watched the cartoon when it came on tv. Brian Jacques is an amazing writer because the same things made me laugh and get excited each time I read his books, no matter how many times I've read.

Like in Redwall, when Methuselah says to Matthias "Oh you young booby!" I burst out laughing each time.

As an aside, probably a different thread, but Watership Down anyway? That book is class.

18. HeinleinFan

HeinleinFan Banned

I liked these books quite a bit in fifth and sixth grade. (This isn't a criticism, as I was reading full-length novels when I was five.) As time passed, I got out of the habit, and at this point I admit I'm not terribly interested in re-reading them. The writing was generally good, but many of the plots are similar between books, and there are a few archtypes which he uses that get on my nerves now that I'm a more experienced reader.

19. Magix1reaper

Magix1reaper New Member

The Redwall Series

Has anyone read them? What did you think of them?

In my youth I loved the series. I thought it was a great read. Now I've moved away from it but it's still enjoyable to read every now and again.

20. Magix1reaper

Magix1reaper New Member

And to think I started a Redwall topic when I should have just scrolled down :p.

Ah, I've read them all up until Loamhedge which I am reading now. I've read the first 14 or so twice and am on my third round of them. I keep a list on my laptop of how many times I've read what book so I'm never quite clueless as to what I've read.

Redwall was great then and is... ok now. I've moved on to other books but I still read it when given a chance.

21. Brandon_Trotter

Brandon_Trotter New Member

when I was younger I attempted to read one of these books I got a few chapters in but, the book did not hold my interest. I did however watch the cartoon qweet frequently as a kid. I must say the cartoon, if it compares to the book at all, was amazing. The probelm I had with the book was to much time was spent on discription and character introduction, it was not enough to hook me I guess.